#EATCLEAN

PowerButchi

The Railway Club is over the road from the Cov rugger ground and is well skill with cheap beer. The owner, Mal, once signed the DartBreak Kid to one of his pub sides with the offer of free beer, a curry, and a lift home for every home game. 

Of course, if the rugger ground is the Ricoh then ignore the above. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Of course, if the rugger ground is the Ricoh then ignore the above. 

'Fraid not - proper Coventry Rugby Club of David Duckham fame, rather than ex-London Wasps. Butts Park Arena, apparently.

My only Coventry experiences (other than a Norwich away day where we lost 3-0 just after we'd sold you Leon McKenzie) were for the Alex Shane shows, so I'm only familiar with the Skydome area - which doesn't seem to be a million miles away from Butts Park?

Anyway, thanks both - I understand from my brother/best man that something has been booked, I suspect My Dhabba due to it's TripAdvisor rating.

1 hour ago, Statto said:

'Fraid not - proper Coventry Rugby Club of David Duckham fame, rather than ex-London Wasps. Butts Park Arena, apparently.

Proper Cov rugger ground, nice one!  Yeah it's close to the Skydome, the Shanter of triple X fame is on the way from the dome to the Butts.  Hope you have a good time, man!

On 2/22/2018 at 9:15 AM, Statto said:

As discussion has turned towards the Midlands - where's tops for a curry in Cov, gents?

A dozen of us are headed that way for the CAMRA beer festival at the rugby club on the first weekend in March (technically my 'stag do').

Thanks in advance.

Hey @Statto, where about are you stopping? My Favourite place for a curry in Coventry is the Dhaka Dynasty on Walsgrave Road (http://dhakadynasty.co.uk/). So if you're staying fairly central it's a taxi ride away, but shouldn't be any more than 10 minutes in a taxi from the town centre. If you go, you'll see a row of shops and wonder where it is. It's actually above the row of shops so you'd be looking for basically a front door (next to the chip shop) to take you upstairs. There's plenty of places to go in the town centre, but most tend to be more style over substance. However, if you're looking for a place that is literally a 5 minute walk away from the Butts, have a look at Akbars (https://www.akbarscuisine.com/). It does tend to get quite busy at the weekends, and if there's 12 of you it might be worth considering booking, but it's always been nice in there, if a little more expensive than your "standard" curry. If you're into sharing or trying new things, have a chat with them about them just bringing out a selection of dishes for you that you can all just dive in to. 

Hope that helps, but if you wanna know anything else, just holla!

Edited by squatswithducks
tag the statman

• Paid Members

A Chippy is a place that sells freshly battered fish and freshly cut and cooked chips.  Sometimes they are owned by Chinese, who often also offer a Chinese take away menu, and have better curry sauce.  There are now a lot of medetaranian owned chippys, and a growing number of middle eastern owned ones.  I am yet to find a good Asian owned chippy.

• Paid Members

Indian /Asian owned chip shops have the problem of trying to offer too much on their menu. They don't do anything well. Too much of a Jack of all trades thing going on with Indian/Asian owned chip shops. Although Grewals on Catherine St in Leicester is pretty good. They do stick to being a Fish & Chip shop though.

Medetaranian owned ones tend to be the best around these parts. There's a brilliant one in Rothley. Which is also a sit down restaurant. I can highly recommend it. Their curry sauce is a bit weird. My local chip shop on Gipsy Ln does the best curry sauce and is the place to go to for a chippy take away.

Has anyone had the strange Wotsit chips that are available in the West Midlands? Travesty or delicacy?

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Joey Joe Joe said:

I have been chatting with a friend from Liverpool. Apparently a "Chippy" there is a a Chinese takeaway that also sells items you would get in a regular Fish and Chip shop. This isn't normal, right?

Quite a few like that round here too. The chips aren't great, but much closer to proper chips than the horrible shite you tend to get in kebab shops.

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Quite a few like that round here too. The chips aren't great, but much closer to proper chips than the horrible shite you tend to get in kebab shops.

Yeah, our kebab shops round here tend to just use frozen fries rather then fresh potato and either under or over cook them to the point I choose rice over the chips

• Paid Members

My local area in north London has a fair few Chinese chippies as well. I've always wondered why this was such a common model, more than amongst any other ethnicities. Can only guess that perhaps deep frying lends itself to certain Chinese dishes easily, like won-ton, etc. 

That said, chippies in this part of the world have always been varied. A fair few of them are run by Mediterraneans, predominantly Greeks, Turks, and sometimes Italians, but in northwest London, there are also a lot run by Jews (who, if we're being picky, are the people who invented fish n' chips and brought it to this country in the first place) - in these particular shops you often get a choice as regards the fish being fried in batter, breadcrumb, or, more commonly, matzo meal.

Diversity aside, I've never found a decent chippy in the south. All the good stuff I've ever had has been in the north, mostly Yorkshire - even after they all switched from using meat fat to using vegetable oil.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Diversity aside, I've never found a decent chippy in the south. All the good stuff I've ever had has been in the north, mostly Yorkshire - even after they all switched from using meat fat to using vegetable oil.

The Fish n' Chicken/Churchill's chain is pretty damn decent actually, poor portions. Also, go to a seaside resort. Southend have some cracking chippys actually for example, though Brighton I found to be more hit and miss