#EATCLEAN

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Jesus wept, when did they push Jersey up along the coastline to the north??

Sadly, Jersey chips have nowt on the north. No idea why, but nowhere here can do a decent portion of chips. And nowhere does scraps, let alone chip spice.

• Paid Members

There's a Bulgarian-run generic kebab/chicken/pizza place not far from me, in Wood Green/Turnpike Lane. They do fresh-baked £3.00 pizzas, and you can have doner meat and frankfurters as optional toppings.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Sadly, Jersey chips have nowt on the north. No idea why, but nowhere here can do a decent portion of chips. And nowhere does scraps, let alone chip spice.

I've seen god knows how many discussions on here about the different things local chippies do up and down the country, and the different terminology, but I've never heard of chip spice before. Do enlighten me...

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

There's a Bulgarian-run generic kebab/chicken/pizza place not far from me, in Wood Green/Turnpike Lane. They do fresh-baked £3.00 pizzas, and you can have doner meat and frankfurters as optional toppings.

Turn left out of the station, keep going up past the park and just beyond the corner shops that pretend they’re selling fruit at 4.00am?

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Turn left out of the station, keep going up past the park and just beyond the corner shops that pretend they’re selling fruit at 4.00am?

That's the one! They have Bulgarian music videos on constantly on the TV on the back wall.

• Paid Members

That's pretty much it - basically paprika and spiced salt, ubiquitous in Hull and the surrounding area, completely bloody unheard of everywhere else, in my experience. I was back in that neck of the woods over Christmas, and my eyes lit up when I spotted a pot of the stuff behind the counter of the village chippy.

Yeah that's the stuff.

The other Hull delicacy (although I'm sure you can variations of it in other places) is a Pattie. Mashed potato seasoned with sage and battered. It's the thing that always pops up in the short lists of what Hull is famous for, usually sandwiched between the obligatory mentions of White Phoneboxes and Phillip Larkin worked at Hull Uni

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Yeah that's the stuff.

The other Hull delicacy (although I'm sure you can variations of it in other places) is a Pattie. Mashed potato seasoned with sage and battered. It's the thing that always pops up in the short lists of what Hull is famous for, usually sandwiched between the obligatory mentions of White Phoneboxes and Phillip Larkin worked at Hull Uni

Fucking hell, patties. That was my go-to chip shop order as a kid after going veggie, and I probably haven't had one in 18 years now.

• Paid Members

Coming up on my year anniversary of working and (sort of) living in Hull. Can confirm they know how to do a chippy. There's a terrific one called Papa's that was voted best in the country by a BBC poll, I know just about every seaside city and town has a chippy that makes this claim but this might actually be the one. Huge piece of crispy battered haddock, half a tonne of chips and a carton of mushy peas for less than a fiver, I try to restrain myself to one a visit a week. Their tartare sauce needs some work tbf and chip spice (it's Cajun spice) is just wrong.

There's a also a brilliant sit-in one on the other side of the Humber in Cleethorpes, Steele's. Served as it should be with buttered white bread and a pot of tea by an old dear who's seemingly been working there since the 60s, looks like the decor hasn't been changed since then either.

I've gave up trying to find a decent curry though and instead go for Asda's take-away curries, they fill a hole. 

Edited by stumobir

• Paid Members

Went to a blinding chippy in Boscombe a few years ago — fake wood panelled walls, fake mounted elk heads, fake fish in the fish tank, and they're do anyone the OAP special if they were nice enough about it — big cod, big chips, unlimited tea, and a round of buttered white bread for £5 or so, served by a hundred year old lady.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Silky Kisser said:

Anyone here used Montreal Steak Spice? I've been binge watching Bushcrafting videos on Youtube and this appears to be the spice of choice for all Canadians. Apparently, it pretty much goes with anything. 

Yeah it's quite good, mostly pepper based, with quite a strong flavour. In the US it's as very common to see.