Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

TIL that the ingredient they put in nacho cheese sauce in the cinema to keep it runny and stop it congealing is sodium citrate, of which the chemical symbol is NaCHO.

That was from the Twitter thread of that lad with cheese in the chocolate fountain wasnt it. 

• Paid Members

The second biggest selling single in the UK of the 1990's was "Barbie Girl" by Aqua with over 1.8 million copies sold, only kept off the top spot for the decade by "Candle In The Wind".

Edited by PJ Power
Clarify "in the UK"

26 minutes ago, PJ Power said:

The second biggest selling single in the UK of the 1990's was "Barbie Girl" by Aqua with over 1.8 million copies sold, only kept off the top spot for the decade by "Candle In The Wind".

Looking up the biggest selling singles of the 2000s, number one was Will Young’s Popstars winning single, ‘Evergreen’. Number two was Gareth Gates runner up cover of ‘Unchained Melody’. Number three...

’It Wasn’t Me’ by Shaggy. 

33 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I found out recently that the Santana/Rob Thomas song Smooth was ranked the second most successful song of all time (whatever that means) by Billboard. And now it's stuck in my head.

Well, it's a hot one.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Looking up the biggest selling singles of the 2000s, number one was Will Young’s Popstars winning single, ‘Evergreen’. Number two was Gareth Gates runner up cover of ‘Unchained Melody’. Number three...

’It Wasn’t Me’ by Shaggy. 

Well at least one of them has stood the test of time.

• Paid Members

Courtesy of @Chris B on Twitter, TIL that a process that began in the Cretaceous Period formed the basis of a streak of Democrat constituencies in every US election since the 1970s.

A long-ish thread, but it's truly fascinating.

• Paid Members

TIL something that probably loads of people on here know, that Rocky Balboa was most likely based on Chuck Wepner, not just for the fight with Ali, but also his wrestling match with André in 1976. Seems that Stallone outright denied the inspiration, but in 2003, Wepner sued him and got a settlement for an undisclosed amount. Makes sense, really - the fight alone might not have done it, but the parallel career progression of then exploiting the new-found fame the match got him to go and have a wrestling match makes it difficult to dispute.

EDIT: I liked that LOTM guessed what lead me to find out about the nacho cheese thing, so feel free to take a guess as to why I was looking up the factoid in this post. Inspiration came from here.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Hasbro (yes, that one) through their purchase of Entertainment One now own the rights to everything ever published by Death Row records. 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/884amp/hasbro-now-owns-death-row-records-because-why-not-its-2020?utm_source=vicefbus&fbclid=IwAR2sFrHKFh4Nn04o1ahhERKdnR1Gvxk68dnRDhhhbMHCc3TBDzIKlh894Pw

Edited by jazzygeofferz

16 hours ago, Carbomb said:

TIL something that probably loads of people on here know, that Rocky Balboa was most likely based on Chuck Wepner, not just for the fight with Ali, but also his wrestling match with André in 1976. Seems that Stallone outright denied the inspiration, but in 2003, Wepner sued him and got a settlement for an undisclosed amount. Makes sense, really - the fight alone might not have done it, but the parallel career progression of then exploiting the new-found fame the match got him to go and have a wrestling match makes it difficult to dispute.

This is the trailer to a very good documentary on Chuck Wepner, The Real Rocky. It is on Netflix. Theres also a film about him called “Chuck” 

Him and Stallone are now friends. Chuck actually made a lot of money doing appearances as The Real Rocky and tried out for a part as a sparring partner in Rocky 2, but turned up in no condition to perform and failed to land the role.

Edited by Mr Lawrence