The Relationship Thread

Ron&Hermione

So the Aussie girl decided she'd rather see someone else she's been seeing. I'm now drinking and watching lost in translation

Ah sorry man. Hopefully she didn't start getting into fibres of your being. That'd make it a bit tough. Lost In Translation is a good film, though.

Similar-ish situation with the blonde, short haired teacher I was dating a while back and while my situation has stuttered since then, I get the impression you'll be more than fine when you finish the drink and get to the end of the film (in a manner of speaking).

Edited by uklaw

I'm getting a bit concerned with my girlfriend's job situation. We moved to London a few weeks ago but she's kept her job in Essex which is only part time, and she's commuting back and forth every other day or so.

Today I went for a job interview at a really nice, relaxed pub, 40 hours a week and it's closed on weekends. I didn't take the job because it's less money than I'm on now, but I thought I'd make my girlfriend aware of it and tell her to get an application in because I think she'd get the job pretty easily. She said she didn't want to work in a pub because a) she doesn't have bar experience, b) she's not sure she'd make any more money than she's making now, which is bollocks because she's only making about ÂŁ700 a month at the moment, and c) because she simply doesn't want to work in a pub, which is fair enough.

I should also mention that she doesn't really like her current job and is always complaining that they keep putting her on the rota for shifts she's already requested off on multiple occasions. She was in tears the other night because they put her down to work Christmas Day without discussing it with her first, and we're in Wales over Christmas which they were aware of. They take advantage of her a lot and owe her something like 3 months worth of overtime at the moment.

We then got into the conversation of what she's actually doing to look for work, and it turns out she's almost exclusively looking for part time jobs for reasons I simply can't comprehend. Basically, she says most of the jobs she's found that she has experience in are part time, but ignores the idea of applying for full time jobs where no experience is necessary and learning something new from scratch. Of course, I brought up the issue that part time work probably isn't going to bring in enough money for London living (I was being polite, it definitely won't), and she said she'd get two part time jobs and juggle them both. I think she's under the impression that she can choose her own shifts if this happened so the two jobs wouldn't clash, and she doesn't seem to understand how hard it would be to get two part time jobs that are as flexible as she seems to expect.

I worry because the last full time job she had was in 2013, and I wish I could say it's not for lack of trying but, honestly, she really doesn't go out of her way to look for better, more financially stable jobs. It's not like she's only getting part time jobs so she can focus on other endeavours either, she really has nothing else going on.

Her sister is 30 with a 3 year old kid and has never had a full time job. I don't want to say it runs in the family, because her parents both have good jobs, but....I don't know. Perhaps she looks at her sister and thinks she'll manage the same way?

It's proper infuriating because she gets wound up whenever I try to approach the issue.

Apologies for the long winded, rambling post. I've only ever thought of it as a temporary problem, and it's only this evening that I've really thought it could be a long term problem.

Edited by Slapnut

That's a difficult one Slapnut, which I've had in the past. (very similar, GF wasn't working/family weren't too different in their mind set's about working/money and stuff etc)

For me personally, I spent a long time just kind of not saying anything about it, basically because I was scared she'd leave me for basically telling her what to do, as I'm very much a "do whatever you want/I'm not going to tell you how to live your life" type person, but after YEARS of our financial situation deteriorating, I had to drop an ultimatum of "help me now, or leave so I can sort out my life".

So, maybe doesn't seem like much now, but I put it off and eventually wasted about 2 years of my life living in almost destitute conditions, basically because I didn't have the guts to call her out on that. Try the soft approach at first, like present all the information and let her work it out for herself, but in my case that didn't work either. May sound a bit drastic, but it really does effect a lot of stuff in the long run.