The Relationship Thread

Ron&Hermione

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this old dame for a bit of a natter.

The Zimbabwean lady returned from her holiday and has proceeded to ignore my (two) messages and one call attempt. Any more attempts and it becomes pestering, in my view. So I think I can draw a line under that. In fact, the same goes for everyone else I was chatting to or met, except for one. Met her 3 times, and seemed to get close, before she got more busy than she was already. I can only take her word for it. Though the chat seems to be laboured like it wasn't before.

A small part of me (and one or two friends) thinks she has someone else she prefers and doesn't know how to get rid of me through fear of upsetting me.

We are supposed to be meeting up this week, after 3 weeks gap, so we'll see what happens.

How is everyone else doing?

Tuesday morning, one day before we were meant to be meeting, I wake up to a message from said lady finally confirming what I guessed and that she's been distracted with someone else and can deny her feelings no longer. So I got the 'you're a nice guy, let's be friends, otherwise take care' line.

And with everyone else (bar one new chat) ditching chat with me, Bumble is a more Tumble(weed) at the moment. So it's back on the horse, with more spine, and forward to business.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Well we finally reached the thrilling denouement of 'Gus Met Sally' girl last night. Pound out the till to whoever said it would end in pain and misery. Sex ruins everything, it really does.

I need a hug. That and a rebound shag. I have about 4 close friends in the world and have just lost one of them, that hurts.

Edited by Gus Mears

Well we finally reached the thrilling denouement of 'Gus Met Sally' girl last night. Pound out the till to whoever said it would end in pain and misery. Sex ruins everything, it really does.

I need a hug. That and a rebound shag. I have about 4 close friends in the world and have just lost one of them, that hurts.

Sorry to read that buddy. Same thing happened to me. Started seeing one of my best friends of 17 years a few months ago, broke up after 6 weeks now there's nothing. She helped me through my divorce and in many ways this is so much much worse. Know the needing a hug too, problem is it was always her that I went to for them. Hope it gets easier for you pal.

• Paid Members

Yeah, you're on the money there. Sorry about your travails too. We'll patch it up, I'm sure, but it's never going to be the same. It can't be. Abortions, too much booze, too many drugs, sex, mutual friends...

I need an actual relationship with someone who a. I like b. Isn't a mentalist. I know that's the Shangri la for everyone, but I only ever seen to go out with hot messes and it's fucking brutal. I think you would get about a combined septum out of my last three girlfriends, but I keep going for it because they are attractive. I'm a moron basically.

It's the crushing of a friendship that really is painful. Most of a decade and for what?

Edited by Gus Mears

Ah, sucks to hear Gus, especially with it being a close friend.

Personally, I would say you need a change of scenery. Any chance of some sort of change in your life? Area/house/job/local pub? Like anything really. 

Seems a bit drastic, but making a change to the normal stuff you do (be it big or small) tends to force you to shape up a little bit, or at least that's what I've found. As an example, I started helping out at a local club (shifting stuff about, helping out etc) and you'd be surprised the amount of people you meet by just going somewhere else, and kind of forcefully being nice hah.

• Paid Members

Cheers E. I've just started a new job and am intending on moving at the new year by latest, so that's good. I'm moderately relieved in the respect that I was sauntering towards a slippery slope of addiction by being around her and the rest of the boneheads who make up the people we know in Bristol. She got away with being incredibly self-centred essentially because she's good looking and I'm relieved it's done. I'll get back in touch with her when she gets off the Colombian marching powder and starts to resemble the human being I was friends with for many years. 

Fair shout! Keep looking forward for now, and try to stay in a positive circle of people if you can. 

I was the same a few years back. I noticed a lot of people I worked with/hung around with by proxy, weren't very nice people...and it effected me a whole lot. Since then I've moved on and have been doing great, (more in myself than to do with relationships, buts it all relative hah.)

• Paid Members

Yeah, there will inevitably be some fallout because of the mutual friends, but ultimately, I know I'm in the fucking right here. Little feels as empowering as being right. I am far from the first person she's alienated in the last year and a bit and I hope sincerely, at some point it hits her that the reason that old friends keep moving away is because she's changed, not the rest of us. 

I feel weirdly relieved and thinking back, it's because I was in a constant state of anxiety about what the fuck she was doing. Not because I'm a controlling person, but because she legitimately gets herself in idiotic circumstances (drugs) with idiotic people and I don't have the time to dick about with that because I do a job that isn't piddling around in retail 28 hours a week. 

You're right about moving forward and this is incredibly vainglorious, but I have a great new job, where I get to meet lots of politicians, go to London for meetings with think-tanks etc. and potentially alter government policy. I know that 90% of the lot I'm not going to see anymore will be doing the same shit now in 5 years.

• Paid Members

Back on the dating carousel and have a date in an hour which I'm looking forward to. Whisper it quietly, but it may even be someone who isn't a drug addict this time.

Like John Wayne said, "Son, you've got to get back on the horse when you fall off, because otherwise you've got to catch the fucking bus".

Edited by Gus Mears