NJPW World

Sphinx

Not been tuned in since the G1, is Switchblade a gimmick? Cos Jay White needs one really badly if he's going to be at that level. Still seems like such a waste of Tanahashi though.

• Paid Members

Jericho/Omega is huge news - already in the running to be potentially one of the biggest matches of 2018, and it'll be barely a whimper into January when it happens. Fascinated to see how if Jericho wrestles any differently, given that it's his first match outside of WWE in, what, nearly 20 years?

A little miffed that Kota Ibushi gets lumped with Cody Rhodes, and that a lot of solid storytelling building to Omega/Ibushi has been tossed aside in favour of a one-off match with a guest talent, but you absolutely can't blame NJPW for going with Jericho instead, and it's a hell of a way to ensure they get some new eyes on the product. At the end of the day, you'd think Ibushi/Omega will always be there to call back to if they need it.

• Paid Members

I can't say I've been super impressed with Jericho's matches in recent years, though his gimmick work has been great. I am looking forward to seeing if he can put on a proper world class, lives long in the memory type match with Omega. Bang on this  

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I can't say I've been super impressed with Jericho's matches in recent years, though his gimmick work has been great.

Absolutely this. His matches against AJ were fine, but nothing more. Entertaining as hell character-wise, but he seems to try too hard to keep up in-ring rather than adapting his style to suit his age/mobility. I can see this match being massively over-hyped once it has happened.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Bukamania said:

I thought his match against Neville in Japan in 2015 was excellent and doesn't get enough praise.

I was about to reference this - and that was structured far more as a "house show" match; he wasn't expected to just go out and do the "greatest hits" the way WWE TV matches expect you to. I'm curious to see, if Jericho has his working boots on, how he'd perform in that environment.

• Paid Members

I fully expect Kenny to push Jericho to his best match in years as long as the latter doesn't get gassed given the form of the former, the setting, and the fact they'll have as long as they want.

Jericho showing the WWE locker room that there is more than just WWE. It's magic to have more leverage than your employer relating to your pricetag.

Guys like Brock and Reigns are laughing also. They can easily brag up their pricetag now claiming they could do a "Jericho" to and wrestle for New Japan.

I love it.

I've also got to say well done to Jericho and Omega for pulling this off in 2017. Sure, we all knew the Twitter banter was a work and was building to something... The Jericho Cruise, perhaps ? No chance in hell did I think this would be a big match in New Japan and at Wrestle Kingdom no less! This has been one of the few genuine surprises in wrestling of the past few years. 

• Paid Members

I missed the build up to this. I wasn't even aware that Jericho and Omega were interacting. Plus I haven't watched much, if any NJPW in years. Is there a reccomended watch list that will bring me upto speed.

Im a bit baffled at Jericho being put in this position. Will he be able to hold his end up? Does he still have the necessary ability to work in Japan?

Gotta hand it to Jericho. Gets told "we don't play well with others", books Young Bucks et al for the cruise thing, and negotiates a marquee match against Omega, which apparently WWE only found out about when it was announced. Shades of Pillman and the WCW contract release for me, and a definite thumb in the eye for WWE.

I will admit I'm interested in seeing 100mph Omega going up against a Jericho who's been looking slower, and slower, and slower each time he shows his face in the WWE. It's a good business move though from NJPW, with them announcing another U.S show, having Jericho on board could give them another foothold into that market. Wouldn't shock me to see him go over Kenny at the Dome, and for Omega/Jericho II to headline this next show in America. 

Just got done with Power Struggle, which I thought was a really solid show. Ibushi is always great, and Tanahashi is having a seriously underrated year, so those two together, with the backstory of their G1 match was always going to be a lot of fun. Tanahashi is on another level when it comes to the pacing and structure of a match. The Switchblade reveal was...okay? The bait and switch with Jericho was well done, I'll say that. I'll end up reserving a lot of judgement on the whole thing when I see how it comes off within their Wrestle Kingdom match. 

Everything else ranged from good to inoffensive.. Kawato and Kitmura are really progressing well as Young Lions, and it seems the company is realising and getting behind that. I love watching the both of them work. Roppongi 3K vs Young Bucks should be nice, I'm glad the Jr Belts are sticking with the 2v2 format and they're passing on the multi-man gimmick to the much less interesting four way. CHAOS and LiJ had the same good match they've been having since the beginning of time, and Suzuki/Yano didn't drag on for too long.

The WTL blocks are out as well. They're so hilariously disproportionate. A Block is crap when you stack it up against the B Side. Some interesting combinations in there though. I'm keeping my eyes out for Cobb/Elgin, Finlay/Kitamura and K.E.S returning.