Foley is Crud

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I remember Foley in E-tears on his Myspace because they let a bunch of wrestlers into the screening of The Wrestler and the editor of Sports Illustrated (who was sitting next to him) described Foley as "one decidedly homeless-looking fellow" and commented that he had a Santa suit in a duffel bag which he was going to wear at a Twisted Sister concert later in the night. Foley took great offense to the thought that this was quite sad for an "all time great" to be doing to make a few quid in his retirement. I'm of the opinion if you have thin skin and dont want to be ripped to shreds, put your fucking teeth in and smarten yourself up. Its all cool to look like a homeless person if that's what you are going for and are proud to not give a fuck. But how can you be so sensitive to how you look and you dont even have your false teeth in at a screening for an Oscar nominated movie where all the big knobs are there waiting to judge you?

It's funny about the mentions of Foley flirting with women/motor boating women because I kind of find Foley's attitude towards women somewhat creepy and/or disrespectful. I'm not sure how to quite describe it but it's always kind of bothered me a little. I never met the guy so I'm only going by the books that he has wrote. I recently read Countdown to Lockdown and thought it was a cool read but there were parts in the book where he would talk about women but in weird/jokey ways. Every time I read something like that, it made me uncomfortable because I knew he had a wife. In my opinion, even if he was just joking about the things he said, I still wouldn't have included them in the book anyway just out of respect for the wife. He did mention his wife nearer the end of the book, something along the lines of "I still think my wife is the most beautiful women in the world" but after all the jokes and things he had wrote I didn't get that feeling. It just seem like he included it in so his wife wouldn't blast him for mentioning all these other women and not her. I haven't read Hardcore Diaries yet but it's on my shelf waiting for me and I'll get to it at some point but it sounds like my views are only going to be increased when I get to the Melina stuff.

Some of his mentions/jokes of gay people or gay related things, nearer the beginning of the book, kinda struck me as irrelevant and uncomfortable as well. Just my two cents.

Sure enough, introduced myself to Tracy n all that jazz, and mentioned Jon. Throughout he had a glazed look in his eyes, and then said "so do you want to buy some DVD's or masks, I'll give you a good discount".

Think my response was "no man, I'm good for merchandise, thanks for asking".

Smothers was at my social centre a few years ago, and it was the first "brit wres" show I went to. I remember buying some knock off DVDs and some signed photos from the gimmick table (he had 3, large tables, poor old Ligero was the only other guy selling merch, and his representative was stuck on a pub table).

I remember he tried to sell me a medium 1PW shirt (I haven't been Medium since I was 14) and then tried to sell me a mask. When I explained that I was sure it wouldn't fit my head, I almost thought he was going to stick me in a headlock and force it on me. His missus offered that she thought they looked "Cool" and would be great display items in their own right. I believe she later tried to sell a book saying that she lived in fear that Smothers was going to go all Benoit on her.

Three blokes who are aboslute pros at the autograph tables:

Kane - around the time of the the first film, he was signing the novelisation in Smiths. Despite the long queue, he made time to talk to the kids especially (Wow, you've got the stone cold belt huh?) and I wished him luck with his film, and he said, "thanks I appreciate it".

Nash - Another gent, said "hi" and I asked him if he was going to be doing anything at Mania (he said he didn't know yet). Course, in that case I was wearing a Star Trek Uniform.

DDP - Probably the best signed my WWE Encyclopedia and 8x10 I'd bought on the day, I asked him if he had a good trip over here, and he seemed taken touched that someone would ask after him.

All three queues were busy and had to meet everyone so its not like we went to the pub or anything, and I expect they all forgot about me, or worse, one of Nash's backstage anecdotes at the HOF this year backstage ended "...and the mark was wearing a Star Trek uniform!") but for a few seconds, they made sure I had plenty of attention and were nothing but gracious.

The DDP thing was at his tour over here and has left me wanting more. Truth be told, I'd still consider going to a Foley show if it was announced, just for the experience.

Did anyone do it? I'd imagine no-one was there that would say "f**k off you c**t" like one of the old school may have done.

Not sure. I remember the room going quiet but for all I know someone did afterwards.

Can't really say much though because I've bought wrestlers lunch before. Later on the same show I was asked by Alex Shane to buy Samoa Joe a hotdog (I know that sounds rude but it wasn't... he was buzzing around like a blue ass fly at the time and asked me between jobs).

So I went and got two hotdogs.... one with mustard and one with ketchup. One for me... and one for Samoa Joe. So I go up to Joe and asked him; "which do you prefer.... ketchup or mustard?" His answer: "Both."

You don't argue with a big hungry Samoan.

All this Foley bashing has made me feel kind of bad for the guy now. I know it's purely superficial and he's brought it on himself but hearing that he can't ride roller coasters or put on his socks (two things he's pretty well known for) makes me feel bad for the guy. I reckon once Noelle has played the part of a Chinese finger cuff between Orton and Big Dave I'll be ready to root for him again.

• Paid Members

In Countdown To Lockdown there's a whole chapter where he talks about how much he loves Tori Amos. The fact that he had the fuckin' balls to write a chapter in a wrestling book about Tori Amos and think that anyone who read it would find it interesting is astounding.

Has anyone sent him the link to this thread on twitter yet out of interest?

• Awards Moderator
All this Foley bashing has made me feel kind of bad for the guy now. I know it's purely superficial and he's brought it on himself but hearing that he can't ride roller coasters or put on his socks (two things he's pretty well known for) makes me feel bad for the guy..

I know what you mean. I'd like to root for him again too - I'd be happy to see the Foley that was one of my favourites back. In a way, it's probably a good thing that he hasn't re-signed. If he's out of sight, out of mind, for a while, when he does comes back after an extended absence I may well be happy to see him on TV again. I hope so, anyway. I want to be a Foley fan again, and the Foley I liked is still there somewhere - his cameo on a Daily Show episode last year was great. Then again, when you have twitter and everything, can you ever be out of sight, out of mind?

Edited by HarmonicGenerator