Foley is Crud

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

The worst bit of Hardcore Diaries is when he complains that they didn't use his idea of Terry Funk asking to join the Kiss My Ass club and then biting Vince on the arse. Vince wasn't even involved in the Foley/Edge vs Funk/Dreamer feud for fucks sake.

Just about every one of his booking ideas in that book are horrible. He plays up the injustices about the stuff that didn't get used, and then when he lays out his grand, groundbreaking plan for what ultimately should have happened, you just sit there thinking "right...and?". It's like thinking about what a disappointment the Invasion angle was and how anybody who put business interests over petty revenge could have booked it better, and then hearing Jim Cornette lay out his idea for Hogan vs Dusty Rhodes at WM18 and thinking "well, maybe not". It's the point when you realise, this guy might like to moan a lot about Vince's bad ideas, but when it comes down to it, his own stink twice as much.

• Paid Members

I still for the life of me cant work out what his problem is.

He's not signing a deal because he thinks he'll get more money doing what? Hes basically turning down free money. Granted if his point is, hes turning down less money than last time, but for what? For seeing Mankind turn up in a video game?

I dont even see how morally he's trying to justify turning away free money? Cutting off his nose to spite his face comes to mind.

I'm the same with Foley - I used to adore him. I read his first books and was all over them, loved them and would go as far as to say he was my favourite wrestler for a long time. Loved his Commissioner run, loved his Orton/Evolution stuff, even the WMXX stuff with Rock and then it started to go downhill.

Edited by marc2j

Urgh, Foley is a right perv. He has this perception that he's this loveable cuddly uncle to the divas but he's ignoring that creepy boner that's there making the diva feel even more uncomfortable than his obvious burger and onion BO. That Melina stuff was akin to that Midas bloke on here. I was watching that terrible Captain Lou blade job before and thought it would be hilarious if WWE repackaged old Mick as a new Captain Lou and completely ignored his past ala Zeb Colter.

• Paid Members
I'd put Bret up there. His fall from grace is definitely on par.

Ric Flair's fall from grace has got to be up there surely? I'd say he's worse than Bret or Foley, at least I laugh with every new awful revelation about Foley, Flair is just depressing. Foley's awful because his loveable everyman thing was the main (only- unless you like fat men falling off high things) thing he had going for him, so to see him as a miserable old tightwad sucks. Kevin Nash is a all about the money and self promotion too but he's always been a cool bastard so he can get away with it.

• Paid Members
I'd put Bret up there. His fall from grace is definitely on par.

Ric Flair's fall from grace has got to be up there surely? I'd say he's worse than Bret or Foley, at least I laugh with every new awful revelation about Foley, Flair is just depressing. Foley's awful because his loveable everyman thing was the main (only- unless you like fat men falling off high things) thing he had going for him, so to see him as a miserable old tightwad sucks. Kevin Nash is a all about the money and self promotion too but he's always been a cool bastard so he can get away with it.

Flair's been in the perpetual loop of 'spunk all his money away, get a new wife, get another chance in WWE, do an awkward old man cry' for what seems like forever. His problem has always been his real life can't keep up with the Nature Boy gimmick he's insisted on living.

• Paid Members

At least Mick Foley is only a disappointment in the eyes of the fans who put him on a pedestal too much in the first place, he still goes home to the wife and 10 kids he's devoted to, Ric Flair is a complete disgrace on multiple levels.

I think Mick's burgeoning seediness is funny, it's so awkward and white knighty it seems almost less creepy than a non sexual fat old insecure tightwad.

• Paid Members

We paid him $10k to appear at International Showdown. When we asked him to cut a promo backstage for the DVD,

". Dickhead.

Everyone else was more than happy to put the event over because they all made a tonne of money selling gimmicks, most of them got paid to work 3 shows that weekend, and were all treated well. Even Raven was happy.

• Paid Members
I'm convinced reading Bret's book and Meltzer's issues regarding it and the Wrestling With Shadows documentary, Vince wouldn't have doubled crossed anyone else but Bret. It would never have got to that point. Hogan, Austin, Warrior all would have just walked before it got to that stage. Vince didn't have to do it to him. Not for money reasons (he offered Warrior a massive long term deal a fortnight after and offered Tyson $3.5 million to do Mania). And you could have got the belt off him in the weeks leading to the match, or the night after. To me it was always that Vince had mastered the art of playing Bret. He knew this would have got to him badly.

Wasn't that because the companies financial situation had changed from when he told Bret to go to WCW? I seem to remember reading that Vince told Bret that things had changed and they could honour his deal. It might've been solely so he could say "We tried to keep him", without actually making much of an effort, but they did at least talk about it.

You are right though. For starters Vince would've taken the Belt off anybody else as soon as there started being an issue. Bret had a ridiculous sense of loyalty to Vince though. I remember an interview with Davey Boy where he talked about the Hart Family all basically bullying him into not jumping to WCW in 1996.

At least Mick Foley is only a disappointment in the eyes of the fans who put him on a pedestal too much in the first place, he still goes home to the wife and 10 kids he's devoted to, Ric Flair is a complete disgrace on multiple levels.

I think Mick's burgeoning seediness is funny, it's so awkward and white knighty it seems almost less creepy than a non sexual fat old insecure tightwad.

You're comparing two very different people though. People loved Flair because he was the best wrestler in the world, even if he was a bit of a dickhead. People loved Foley because he was funny and seemed like a humble, likeable bloke who knew his limits and didn't have an ego. Flair's decline has definitely been sad, but it's been a natural progression of him living his gimmick 24/7. Foley hasn't so much declined as apparently become a completely different person and that's why there's so much more hatred towards him than Flair. I mean it has been so severe that it makes you wonder if "Jolly Old Mick" ever actually existed in the first place.

Ric Flair is just an inherently ridiculous man. Hating Flair for turning out to be a chaotic, womanizing spendthrift would be like somebody deciding all of a sudden that they hate Jose Mourinho for being a gobshite and a bad loser. Neither of them are as well turned out as they used to be, but they're still just doing exactly what it's always said on the tin.

The only beef Flair fans could really have with him is the way he's made a complete arse of the big, heartfelt retirement angle they gave him, but even that whole thing relied on taking enough of a leap of faith to ignore the previous 10 years or so when you just wished he'd retire. Flair's one of those blokes who'll die either in the ring or in a massive, credit card-fuelled orgy in the penthouse suite of the Gateshead Hilton, but in many ways I'd be disappointed in him if he went any other way. The big characters can always get away with it - Oliver Reed or Keith Richards or Charlie Sheen turning out to be shambolic mental cases is always going to be easier to forgive than, say, finding out one of Ant & Dec refuses to give their mam anything towards her heating bills or asked the police to move a tramp on. I'd easily pay a couple of grand to hire Ric Flair to come round pubs with us on a stag do, but I'm not sure I'd fork out another

Edited by Magnum