Foley is Crud

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I guess I just don't see Ric Flair as still living the Rock and Roll lifestyle, he's not Keith Richards, Keith Richards is a millionaire who still sells out the biggest stadiums in the world whenever his band play. Ric Flair is a sad old case weeping uncontrollably about his dead son to an audience in a school gym. He can't work anywhere because no one wants him but he has to work because he's skint.

Well anything can happen I guess.

A year ago, a lot of hardcore wrestling fans might have thought that The Warrior was a right wing homophobic nut job who took himself seriously, was a bit of a dick publicly about Droz and Bobby Heenan and had ruined the legacy of their childhood hero.

Even before he died, his legacy changed a little bit to a man who entertained millions and was "uncompromising" or "eccentric" in his later political views.

Likewise with Flair, he should have retired in WCW in the late 90s. When the Horsemen reunited in 98, 99 he could have had one last match and then "taken Arn's other spot" as a manager type. Instead, a few months later he was hanging around in mental houses claiming to be the president of the United States.

He came to WWE, and again, he was used well as a babyface authourity figure, who had class. But it went again when he was working full time.

Its not hard to imagine WWE having an "attitude era" itch to scratch and chucking some dollars Mick's way. Who knows, maybe he can shut his gob and Wrestling fans will be programmed to remember the good times.

• Paid Members

I was never a giant Foley fan in his prime. I respected how much work he put in and the risks he took, because as a dumb teenager who liked wrestlers hitting each other with chairs and falling off cages I was oblivious to the unnecessary nature of it and it being a substitute for drawing an emotional investment through quality wrestling and psychology and just thought "that was cool!" Having said that, "what Mankind's going to do" or "what Dude Love is going to do" was never a huge factor for me in sitting down to watch the show, he was just another guy. He was the guy that Shawn Michaels had a great match with, that Steve Austin had a great match with, but he was never the guy that got me interested in whatever program he was having. I only really appreciated him near the end of his WWF run when he did a great job in getting the crowd invested in his quest for one more title run and a WrestleMania main event even though Stevie Wonder could see it was just killing time before HHH/Rock got reheated. His match with Trips at the Rumble was really good and when the rumour circulated he'd be bowing out either before, at or shortly after Mania, I thought "Fair play, he's put a good shift in and been part of some good stuff, he's getting out while he's relatively young and before his health fails him." I read and loved his book for its honesty and humour, and retrospectively he grew on me to the point he became a fairly big deal in my eyes even though I still threw questioning glances at anyone who described him as "one of the best ever."

The fall from grace, thus, transformed him into a figure of ridicule and eventually scorn for me.

No Way Out 2000 - WrestleMania XVI - "Retirement"

Has enjoyable Hell in A Cell match with Triple H and loses, allegedly retiring. Returns on telly for one last crack at the WrestleMania main event, which I don't begrudge him, even though I think he's ruining a near perfect "bowing out" since the Cell match was so memorable, and I slightly resent the main event not being a straight HHH vs Rock match because that's what they've been building forever. He acquits himself well then fucks off again. His second book comes out which is another good read, even though I could have done without the image of him watching Christy Canyon to coax himself to a chubby so he can put it in his wife.

2000-2001 - Commissioner

Performs the amusing Commissioner role over the summer, which I enjoy, and am pleased he's part of the show even though he won't be wrestling. A fairly logical storyline around Vince gaining the power to fire Foley looks on TV like it will lead to a match at Mania XVII but it doesn't because Foley insists he's retired. In storyline terms it would have made sense, but since the match with Shane (which Foley referees) ends up so entertaining I doubt anyone misses Foley wrestling. He did all his spots on Vince anyway. Comes back in the autumn for a short-lived run as Commissioner and whinges on a live Raw about how he isn't being used enough, then fucks off again. Cracks starting to show already.

2003-2004 - Orton

Returns in 2003 to replace Steve Austin as co-GM of Raw and starts building an issue with Randy Orton to accentuate the "Legend Killer" part of the latter's character. I was again slightly disappointed that Foley might be tarnishing his legacy as a guy that called it quits when he was still at the top of his game. The match turned out (for me) to be an exceptional surprise in terms of how good it was and Foley, in decent condition, did everything he could to make Orton look a million bucks. Foley fucks off again, and again I think "that's a cracking way to bow out, I hope he never wrestles again."

2005 - Money-grabbing twat

So Foley rocked up at the aforementioned International Showdown and to my shock those of us with Gold tickets who get to meet the wrestlers afterwards and get our shit signed are asked by Foley for

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Mankind was the reason in 1996 I gave up wrestling.

The Promo Video that aired on Sunday Night Heat for RR 2000 for Cactus / HHH brought me right back into it again! I was a Foley mark after that and it restarted my love for Wrestling.

I met Foley twice. The first time was in London for a signing of Titem Brown. I was so excited to meet him. Qeued for ages and when I met him and told him his was my favourite wrestler he grunted, signed my DVD and Book and i was moved on. I was bit gutted but thought it must have been a bad day.

Tried again at another UK signing a few years after and he was still a miserable git. I have realised he is just the shits.

The only other person I have met who was that moody was Bischoff. At least he was working on scripts backstage at the time. I have met loads of wrestlers over the years and celebrities, and Foley is by far the worse. Even Bubba / Bully Ray was a nice guy to me.

• Paid Members

im not someone who's followed Mick Foley's career closely post-WWE retirement (the HHH Hell in a a Cell one), i've seen his name pop up and stuff but i never really followed it...the weird thing about it is seeing how much respect Foley has lost amongst fans on this very board (i don't visit any other wrestling based forums), he's gone from a guy that was very much loved on here to being a guy no one really gives a toss about, i've noticed the shift just by reading the forum. Quite sad really.

• Paid Members
Air_raid- I can't believe he charged you for his autograph at International Showdown. He never charged me or my mate a penny and we were merely silver ticket holders.

There was a box sat on his table and as the queue approached we were told it was five quid. As I approached and said "Would you mind signing your book for me" he said "I think you're supposed to put five pounds in the box" then looked at the attending staffer who said "he has." When I got down the line to Joe (who was feuding with Foley, in a way, in ROH at the time) he made a joke about going and beating him up and pointed as his box of fivers and said "that's my retirement fund." I remember it like it was yesterday. Perhaps by the time you got to him he was just trusting that everyone was being asked by staff to put their cash in the box, who knows. But he definitely took 5 quid off me. My accomplice that day remembers, he still asks me how angry I was afterwards.

My impressions leaving that meet and greet were :

Foley : money-hungry twat

Punk, Joe : good laugh, both

Daniels, AJ : pleasant and modest

Raven : miserable twat

Air_raid- I can't believe he charged you for his autograph at International Showdown. He never charged me or my mate a penny and we were merely silver ticket holders.

Did your mate have big knockers?

No, but I do remember him stopping and acknowledging some girls baps during his