Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

There's really no excuse for Raw to be so shit when you have a company capable of putting on shows like these WWE 24 things. That show was so great, and got you into the personalities so much, its pretty amazing they cant translate this to Monday nights.

I've always felt for YEARS that wwe needs to find a way to better blend the art and real life of their characters and present it on their shows.

For the group I work for currently, we've obviously got our heels and faces etc. But some of the best "content" are the wrestlers real and kayfabe Facebook posts. Some of them do a brilliant job of balancing the two and fans get behind them because they support the highs, lows, triumph and heartbreaks of there real lives and their fictional lives.

For example, on Table for 3, Ryback, Ziggler and Bryan did a better job of bigging up the IC belt than any of their fictional characters ever could. Its genuine, it has heart and it's engaging.

As always, real life is often better than fiction.

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne

• Paid Members

There's really no excuse for Raw to be so shit when you have a company capable of putting on shows like these WWE 24 things. That show was so great, and got you into the personalities so much, its pretty amazing they cant translate this to Monday nights.

That was my exact thought watching this. WWE 24 was absolutely superb. What it, and plenty of other things prove, is that the "WWE Superstars" are far more interesting as people than as their characters. I don't want to lose the zaniness from wrestling but in establishing most of the characters, it's obvious that in most cases, their real story is far more insteresting than the one they make up - or in most cases, don't even bother to make up.

What seems obvious these days is that they are assuming everyone is familiar with these characters from twitter, YouTube, NXT or whatever so they don't put any effort into establishing them on Raw. The number of times you see people comment "They should show this on Raw" and the answer is always the same. They think everyone is seeing this stuff. Or they don't care. Either way, they're lazy and complacent.

Why doesn't the first Raw Is War ever really get highlighted in retrospect - even on WWE's own documentary output - as being a massive, massive turning point in the war? I know rebranding the show is not an angle or a five star match or something that really reflected in the ratings straight away but having just watched it again the change in look and feel just in that one show is absolutely monstrous. It's not just that they got a massive screen and the best opening ever in 'rasslers hockying the shit out of each other in a burning warehouse. The fans seemed to change accordingly overnight as well.

Every show up to that point just felt so anodyne and tame and half the size of Nitro. With that one show things just blew. It's exactly what they could do right now. Couldn't hurt. 

• Awards Moderator

The "Brass Ring" Table for 3 is just ok. Some chucklesome anecdotes about working the indies but I wish each episode was at least ten minutes longer. They need a bit more direction in their chat too. Passes the time easy enough though.

Yeah been loving WWE 24. Anyone who complained at the 4 Horsewomen breaking kayfabe needs to put it in context and check that genuine emotion. Still blown away by that match.

I saw the episode that had Graves, Adam Rose, Xavier on it yesterday as well. Great stories but the team really dropped the ball on Rose. I thought his creepy Leo Kruger gimmick was really good, Jake the Snake-esque promos, still needed work but uhhhh it's fuckin developmental??? Not 'got' anything the guy has done since, especially this laughable party pooper thing. Such a pity, his story was probably the most engaging and he's been twitter campaigning for the return of the Kruger gimmick to no avail.

Michael Hayes in particular came off as a right fucknut, saying he wouldn't go see him with a free ticket.

What episode of NXT is Leo Kruger on as i want to see this new gimmick of Adam Rose

That was my exact thought watching this. WWE 24 was absolutely superb. What it, and plenty of other things prove, is that the "WWE Superstars" are far more interesting as people than as their characters. I don't want to lose the zaniness from wrestling but in establishing most of the characters, it's obvious that in most cases, their real story is far more insteresting than the one they make up - or in most cases, don't even bother to make up.

What seems obvious these days is that they are assuming everyone is familiar with these characters from twitter, YouTube, NXT or whatever so they don't put any effort into establishing them on Raw. The number of times you see people comment "They should show this on Raw" and the answer is always the same. They think everyone is seeing this stuff. Or they don't care. Either way, they're lazy and complacent.

Agreed, there was a Charlotte vid not long ago that had genuine emotion and kept kayfabe going - it's unreal they don't put these things on the show, in favour of Not Very Much... a shit Miz TV segment that gets nobody over.

This is the reason I'm actually really interested to watch GFW as tthey seem to have taken a very interesting approach

Table for 3 next week is Vader, Sting and DDP. New episode of Rivalries with Flair vs Steamboat.

They just uploaded a random bunch of Raws and Smackdowns from 2002, which is odd.

Looking forward to both those shows. Im hoping that the random bunch of Raw 2002 turns into the full run of that year - I stopped watching the majority of Raws around that time so I would love to see them.

Just now got to see Bischoff and JBL. Love hearing Bischoff, even if his memory blows, just him being around feels right, and was glad they gave him plenty of due credit throughout. DX invasion talk was a waste of time as it always is. Both of their lack of memory around the specifics of Bret/Montreal annoyed me, but it just illustrates again that people can be so elbow deep in the business but only know what their line of sight affords them and little else.

The Table For 3 this weeks looks great. Fun viewing with the Owens/Cesaro/Ambrose, even if there was really extremely little to take away from it.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

Just now got to see Bischoff and JBL. Love hearing Bischoff, even if his memory blows, just him being around feels right, and was glad they gave him plenty of due credit throughout. DX invasion talk was a waste of time as it always is. Both of their lack of memory around the specifics of Bret/Montreal annoyed me, but it just illustrates again that people can be so elbow deep in the business but only know what their line of sight affords them and little else.

Eric's memory isn't poor, it's just extremely selective. He's an intelligent man, he's not that old and he didn't spend his career getting hit on the head like all the boys he was around. He's done this and Ric Flair's podcast in recent weeks and while both have been interesting in parts, they have been equally frustrating and boring in other parts when Eric dodges the juicy questions because he 'can't remember the details'.

Edited by Arch Stanton