Smackdown Discussion Thread

I was thinking that myself. Doing a title change on a taped show as they know people would more likely tune in to see what happened, lets be honest if you had seen most of the previous UK shows and found out Jinder had retained against Styles you probably wouldn't even bother tuning in. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But, again, isn’t that the hypothesis they were potentially testing? And if the belt being off Jinder causes rating to spike in spite of the current climate, that’s going to be hard to ignore isn’t it?

Also, ‘most people watch tv shows online’ isn’t strictly true. Most people watch TV shows currently on catch-up or timeshift. And even then, when something crosses a cultural frontier in the mainstream, most people will still watch live. By most L+7 metrics, catch up accounts for around 30-40% of viewing.

Its way too early to use it as an excuse for a failing show, either way.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Rosler28 said:

Ratings are down because most people these days watch tv shows online. Theyd be better off putting raw and smackdown live on the network

If they did that, they would have no money to run the shows. The USA Network deals are their lifeblood.

• Paid Members

“We need to keep the top guys cool. How do we make sure The Shield don’t look like geeks in those shitty Raw T-shirts?”

” Sew half a Raw T-shirt to half a Shield T-Shirt for each of the three guys.”

”You’re a fucking genius.”

• Paid Members

It worked as a go home angle but wasn't very creative. The women's aspect was exactly the same as the SD "seige" of Raw and the rest was very similar. Are they going to use Daniel Bryan to explain why the Shield and Braun had their entrance music? 

Made SD look stupid for not expecting it.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Are they going to use Daniel Bryan to explain why the Shield and Braun had their entrance music? 

This is what has annoyed me a bit over the past couple of weeks, theres no way the new days's music should be playing on Raw, and vice versa the shield's on smackdown, it makes no sense at all.

Would have been much more organic if they had just appeared in the crowd, with a mic in hand. (you could always say they just took one backstage to get around that.)

Just done to "pop the crowd" I reckon.

53 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

This is what has annoyed me a bit over the past couple of weeks, theres no way the new days's music should be playing on Raw, and vice versa the shield's on smackdown, it makes no sense at all.

Would have been much more organic if they had just appeared in the crowd, with a mic in hand. (you could always say they just took one backstage to get around that.)

Just done to "pop the crowd" I reckon.

Maybe theres a rat on Raw and SD. 

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Gotta be Corey Graves, the ultimate shit stirrer and gossip queen, the only guys that works on both shows. Of course, all of this big hatred will vanish after Survivor Series.

This is the worst sodding part of it all, isn't it?

"How do the RAW guys get into Smackdown, and why do they have entrance music?" isn't just an "isn't wrestling silly?" logic hole, it's a storytelling opportunity. One that we could bullshit together in five minutes. Similarly, babyfaces teaming with heels, friends being forced to fight just because they work for separate shows, the question of whether a wrestler is going to risk long-standing friendships in the name of brand loyalty, what incentives each show's authority figure gives said wrestler to take that risk....these are strikingly obvious, simple, relatable stories, that would all play into the selling point of Survivor Series perfectly, but they're all ignored in favour of "Red T-shirts hate Blue T-shirts", and faction brawls that leave me instinctually expecting Los Boricuas to rock up.

It's just sheer bloody laziness, and it's mind-boggling to think that this is the biggest wrestling company in the world, with some of the greatest wrestling minds under contract, and a legion of writers.

Archived