Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members

Aye. It's the first time I've bothered with Smackdown since the 1st Jinder/Nakamura match. Jinder is the worst WWE champion I've ever seen - not only devalued the belt, but the entire top part of the show.

This, of course, is the right move. AJ will get a great match out of Lesnar and, even if he is much smaller than Brock, I believe him more than bloody Jinder.

You hope this is Vince realising no one is paying to see Jinder ever, rather than a 3 week run to save a show.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I seen that this match had been made, I just assumed that as the 1/4 finance report had shown Jinder had made no impact in the Indian market (which is what his title run was desighed to build), they had viewed his run as a failure and decided to move the belt to AJ.

• Paid Members

Is this the first time one of the big belt has changed hands over here? In fact, it can't have changed hands outside North America much at all, has it? 

I'm happy Aj is Champ but just struggle to see why they've suddenly decided now is the time to do it

It really does seem the night after TLC they decided to do Raw vs Smackdown as there really doesn't appear to have been any long term planning ahead to the potential matches at SS

And its only now less then 2 weeks out they've suddenly decided that the match ups (2 heel vs heel and a sort of face vs face Tag match) weren't making much sense and the crowd might struggle to get engaged in the matches and are mixing it up

I fully expect Charlotte to win the Womens title next week, changing that match up and Corbin losing his US title wouldn't be a shock either, tho at least they've sort of put some effort to make Corbin the heel and Miz the face in that feud but they've also kept The Miz heel in everything else he does on RAW which is really creating a weird dynamic

They had gone to the effort to create some build up for Brock vs Jinder as well which makes this even more confusing and with AJ announced to face Rusev last week which assuming he was going to win it does seem something happened over the past week that made them change there minds 

I wouldn't rule out a 5 on 5 survivor Series match either if they think there isn't the room for 2 tag matches (or 1 tag and a 6 man tag) with the Shield and Sheamus and Cesaro vs The New Day and The Usos, both belts have switched recently so its the clear best 2 teams on each show.  

• Paid Members

I hope this Jinder experiment is over for good and he doesn't get the title back. AJ proved how good he is by dragging a good match out of him instead of us getting another Jinder borefest. They tried something knew, it didn't work and the right man is the champion again.

13 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

I wouldn't rule out a 5 on 5 survivor Series match either if they think there isn't the room for 2 tag matches (or 1 tag and a 6 man tag) with the Shield and Sheamus and Cesaro vs The New Day and The Usos, both belts have switched recently so its the clear best 2 teams on each show.  

That's a good shout actually, never thought of that but could see them going down that road.

Has the interesting dynamic for each team, one that the New Day & The Uso's called a truce a few weeks back and have a new respect for each other so should be able to get on fine, where as the Shield and the Bar despise each other and have question marks as to weather they would be able to get along for the good of the brand.

Only downside is that a 3 on 3 Shield vs New Day match could have been superb.

Jesus Jinder is so bad, you could really tell just how much AJ was carrying him in that match. Still a great match by Jinders standards and I'm absolutely delighted AJ has the belt once again, I just hope this is a long term thing and they don't hot-shot the belt back to Jinder for the India tour. Also, that AJ takedown to the first Singh Brother is my new favourite thing :D

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Jesus Jinder is so bad, you could really tell just how much AJ was carrying him in that match. Still a great match by Jinders standards and I'm absolutely delighted AJ has the belt once again, I just hope this is a long term thing and they don't hot-shot the belt back to Jinder for the India tour. Also, that AJ takedown to the first Singh Brother is my new favourite thing :D

It's the best match Jinder will ever have, probs. Styles really is brilliant at the gig. It's no coincidence Smackdown started to suffer the moment they took the belt off of him. Aye, he was still on the cards, but the show is much better when he's it's focal point - he managed to get months out of bloody Ellsworth, without devaluing a thing, which is remarkable.

I also wonder if this is a "thanks" for AJ doing overtime a couple of weeks ago, and dragging Balor to his best main show match, with little sleep? Like Vince suddenly decided AJ is the best thing on his show, again.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Is this the first time one of the big belt has changed hands over here? In fact, it can't have changed hands outside North America much at all, has it? 

First or second time the WWE Title has ever changed hands outside of North America, depending on if you count Antonio Inoki's win or not, I believe.

Is it a guarantee that we're getting AJ vs. Lesnar, if AJ's still champion? As much as it makes sense and fits with the champion vs. champion/brand vs. brand gimmick, it was Jinder Mahal who issued the challenge to Brock Lesnar in the first place, so maybe we still get those two against each other but they took the title out of the equation to not make one "World" title look more significant than the other? Or the opposite could be true, and it's Jinder they're protecting by not having him in that match!

If I had to guess, I'd say Jinder Mahal will do a run-in to cause a DQ finish, so neither AJ or Lesnar look "weak".

I was wondering about the injury, it did seem fairly unexpected so I was thinking it was genuine and if in which case are they going to be stripped of their titles so Smackdown has some Tag Champs to parade at Survivor Series or will they just be replaced in the match with no emphasis on 'Champions vs Champions' ? 

Hopefully it is just a work as I agree with Winston, they are my favourite act on TV at the moment too. 

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

he managed to get months out of bloody Ellsworth, without devaluing a thing, which is remarkable.

I think this is a remarkable achievement. When you look at it at face value, it had 'wrestle crap' written all over it and could potentially make Styles look like a right shit champion. But it really worked. Styles and Ellsworth were brilliant during the entire angle.

7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

First or second time the WWE Title has ever changed hands outside of North America, depending on if you count Antonio Inoki's win or not, I believe.

I don't think Inoki's reign is recognised, which makes this the first time it has officially changed hands, but let's not forget the title was originally won outside of North America, in Rio ;)

The Uso Injury looked a work too me, I noticed the ref never once went out to check on him even after the 10 count which suggested to me he knew that he wasn't really hurt.

It was probably just a device to prolong the feud for a title match on Smackdown December PPV

Archived