Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Sami and Kevin are excellent, excellent dickheads. They're my favourite type of heel, where you can tell they're having the time of their lives doing the act. Awesome.

I don't understand the Baron Corbin deal at all. Half the time he's pushed as the next top star, then the other half they do everything they can to make him look like an idiot. At least with Jinder they've gone all in. He's shit, but you can't fault their attempt to push him regardless. But with Corbin he's shit and he's also sometimes a chump, which is arguably worse!

Speaking of Mahal, now that they've pulled the trigger on Survivor Series, I think they're going to put Jinder over Brock as their last ditch attempt to make him somehow click. Brock jobs to Jinder Mahal. Imagine telling someone from 2015 that. Mental.

Rusev is so great, criminally underutilized.

The Fashion File stuff was the worst one to date this week for me, I usually get one decent laugh out of them, normally it's nothing they actually do but more so the pictures on the back wall, I never so much as smiled this week, not once. It was shite.

Jinder still has a head cold seemingly, bout 6 months now, he should see a doctor. What a CRAP promo voice he's got.

• Paid Members

Was it supposed to get a reaction from the crowd when D-Bry said "...SHANE MCMAHON"? Deathly silence. Great stuff from Zayn otherwise and Owens chipped in. How often does someone turn heel and show 9 billion times more confidence than before? Zayn was great here. Zayn over Randy Orton too. Wow.

Enjoyed the Bludgeon Brothers promo again. Wacky shit that probably won't translate but looks cool. New Day backstage skit was good because of Rusev. Good look for Kofi with the clean shave too. Fashion Files wasn't bad. The little Ascension slithering across to help was funny. Audible gasp of "aww" from the crowd when they didn't bump knucks at the end. Ascension are good in this. They were good in the Southpaw stuff too. Need to try and translate this to a new, relatable gimmick.

Jinder challenging lesnar is surreal. The guy is fucking shite. That bump off the "Pele" kick was first day of wrestling training bad. Him and Corbin are the major singles champions on a brand that has Orton, Styles, Nakamura, Owens, Zayn, Rusev and Roode. It's so bad it's funny.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the Ascension are clearly slightly goofy, likeable guys, if they can somehow transition that into a workable gimmick (not just scrapping the current one outright and taking on new personas, more like Edge & Christian's transition from Brood to dorky heels), they might actually become a worthwhile part of the roster. Then there's always scope for them to snap back into the NXT version of The Ascension later down the line with the typical "we're not a joke!" angle.

Given the obvious LOD homage in their gimmick, it'd be fun to have them do something with Ellering at some point, even if it's just setting them up to be sacrificial lambs for the AOP.

4 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

I can't believe they are actually going through with Jinder/Brock. What's the point?

I take it AJ will get a title match on Smackdown before Surivor Series, be screwed out of it by the Singh's then will get his rematch in a gimmick match in Smackdowns December PPV?

The promo video they showed for Jinder about his trip to India spoiled the fact that he is probably holding the title until the beginning of December, so as to defend it in India on their next tour.

• Paid Members

Jinder's push feels like when they were insistent on changing the colour of the ropes for cruiserweight matches on Raw. You know they're going to give up eventually, it's pointless and shit, you've just got to ride it out until they inevitably lose their patience. 

I loved how in NXT Bobby Roode felt a bit of an occasion. Not on TV every week but showing up for a PPV with a great entrance and some backstage video's hyping up and explaining his character a bit. Unfortunately I feel already on Smackdown the entrance has already been done to death and they have made no effort to explain his character (unless I have drifted off and I stand corrected) just expecting everyone to know him from NXT even though he was a heel over there with no explanation of a turn. 

I really hope they can do something to keep him fresh as he seems a good pair of hands and would be a good heel to have in the title picture but I fear things like this Ziggler feud is just going to push him in to the fateful zone where people lose interest very quick. 

On the positive side, I am loving Sammi and KO. I am very interested where this will go and fair play for making us care about Sammi again. KO is such a joy, quite possibly my favourite on the roster at the moment. 

Archived