Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Interestingly with Sami, I really struggled to like him as a face. Don’t get me wrong I fully appreciate why he was and why it worked, but he honestly annoyed me and didn’t do it for me. One of my good mates has been a fan for yonks, and thought I was just being a cock when I said I didn’t like him. I tried to explain that he just doesn’t do it for me and whilst I appreciated why he was a great face, I just didn’t like his craic, I can’t explain why, I just didn’t, he didn’t tickle me, compared to others and I couldn’t get the massive face ‘overness’ he had in NXT (I still appreciated his in ring work). 

Anyway, this is the first time I’ve seen this bloke as a heel. Unless I look now, I’ve no idea if he was ever a heel on the indies. Either way, fuck me, that promo on SD while not perfect, I suddenly saw a character to match his in ring ability. 

I didn’t realise he had this in his locker. Fair fucking play. While other equals such as Balor are struggling a bit, much like Sami has been as a face, this instantly made me see some potential, which is mint. He simply changed his character by a tiny amount and went from a face I should like but doesn’t do it for me, in to obnoxious, up his own arse heel who I want to see more of. With a flicker of a change.

Not only for him, but this made me realise for the first time in a long time that WWE can make such a simple change and are willing to do so.

New faith. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Sami's music is ace. Him keeping the music for a now sarcastic entrance is brilliant subtlety that WWE are usually incapable of. Great heel work.

Bang on, with his ever so slight OTT version of him, brilliant.

edit: with that being said and full curiosity coming in to play, where do I as a fan fall? Am I perceived as someone who is a dem wanz, or is my previous assumption fair enough, but now he’s a heel, it’s ok for me to dislike. I really try to fall in to the WWE ‘you cheer, or you boo’. If I do, and if they get it right, it’s usually bang on... but now and again there is the odd one that it doesn’t work with. I’m not talking Cena, I’m not taking Reigns, but I am talking your Enzo and Sami. It’s basically a case of, if someone or a team is playing a part, let’s say New Day, As face they annoy me, but as heel they are spot on with exactly the same craic, with ‘that’ tweak, what causes the difference?

Im personally not trying to be a bell. I like a face vs heel, my main years were 88 - 93 and then picked up again during the wars.

I have been pure 180 on Reigns for example. Is it a peer related thing, I’d it booking based, is it both? 

The last 5 years (for me) have been the hardest as I feel I’m being encouraged to be conflicted. I truly struggle (at times) to know when to cheer. I really want to cheer.

Fuck knows what my point was. It’s been a difficult night, probably spelling nightmares galore. My dogs a dick, and in the vets.

I think WWE just struggle with babyfaces big time lately. You only need to look at Bayley, who should've been a slam dunk on the main roster, beloved by kids & cynical adults in pretty much equal measure but in under a year has been fucked up to the extent where she now gets a muted at best reaction, if not backlash. With heels there's more freedom to showcase personality and not tow so many lines, although they'll still likely get rolled out in a bloody Susan G Komen shirt. I also think they struggle in general with the concept of friendship and what makes people endearing, i mean look who's in charge - Vince's grasp on reality is hardly gonna be great is it.

I thought Sami was underutilized as a face, some of his promos are the best fiery babyface promos I've heard in recent times - the one before the Neville match in NXT was especially astonishing. However he was rarely in positions to showcase that, becoming a bit of a TV match guy with little focus or direction on the main roster aside from his Owens feud and a brief thing with Foley. I would've said him as a heel was a silly idea as I've had him down in my mind as such a mega-face, and it's a shame he needed that character refreshment, but he is running with the ball better than I could've expected at the moment

Not much of Interest on Smackdown this week then given its coming up to 4 o'clock Wednesday afternoon and there has been no discussion

Just finished watching it and it wasn't particularly memorable

The Smackdown Survivor Series Team is taking an interesting shape as it seems like they will be going with an All Face team with 4 faces confirmed so far and Aj vs Rusev next week for the final spot, which I'll assume Aj wins as I can't see them leaving him off the card

So an All Face team for the show that made the heelish move of Invading the rival show and attacking everyone, seems a bit backward

Mind you so far Raws 2 for there team are also faces (I'm counting Strowman as a Face now at this point) so I'm really not sure what dynamic they are aiming for with this match right now     

They clearly love Jinder Mihal at the moment if they put him over against Lesnar. Cant see Lesnar wanting to lose to him so I can imagine a cheap finish of some kind, maybe a dq or countout.

Usos to win over Ambrose/Rollins and team SD to win leading to Angle vs HHH at Wrestlemania

Here's the issue. The booking of this is a nightmare.

Smackdown can't lose everything but should Brock or The Shield be losing to anyone at this stage?

Are you going to bin off Asuka's unbeaten streak (assuming she's on the team) so Smackdown can win the women's match.

Is Baron corbin (who's feuding with Sin Cara) gonna go over the Miz who has been feuding with the Shield?

Hmmm.

I see the womans 5 on 5, Shield & Brock winning for Raw, and Baron, Natalya & Shane's team winning for Smackdown, so it ends all square. That will probably lead into a "power struggle" on Raw as technically Angle didn't lose the series, but lost his match leading to Angle/HHH at Mania.

Who knows, I have enjoyed the build up so far but I'm not a fan of everyone being mates all of a sudden because they are on the same brand.

Archived