Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, FattHardy said:

... or a lot of swerves being created?

I’m all for it if so. Although I think I’m on the same page as Colin with this regarding Vince stomping around backstage. Either way.. good stuff. I’m now intrigued to find out what else might happen. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still can't allow myself to be excited for Styles vs Brock. Not at the minute. The amount I've times I've seen a Lesnar singles match against a guy who should be capable of having an incredible match, only for the same match to end up being a dull, boring affair (Rollins, Ambrose, Joe/Strowman to a certain extent) is overwhelming. With the quality of those wrestlers, they should be busting out classics, yet none of them have quite come close to delivering. Hopefully, with AJ just winning the strap, Lesnar will be tempted to give him a competitive showing,

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

I still can't allow myself to be excited for Styles vs Brock. Not at the minute. The amount I've times I've seen a Lesnar singles match against a guy who should be capable of having an incredible match, only for the same match to end up being a dull, boring affair (Rollins, Ambrose, Joe/Strowman to a certain extent) is overwhelming. With the quality of those wrestlers, they should be busting out classics, yet none of them have quite come close to delivering. Hopefully, with AJ just winning the strap, Lesnar will be tempted to give him a competitive showing,

I'd love to think so, but it'll be a hot start followed by a slow down, one F5 and done. I'll be very happy if I'm wrong, but I got my hopes up for Joe and Strowman and was let down both times.

Went to Smackdown last night and actually glad I did so. Firstly the show wasn't even anywhere near a sell out, all the upper tiers were taped off but crowd were still into the show. Tag match seemed very short and get the impression it wasn't a work, but didn't see any 'X' raised to suggest it was a real injury either, I think in all honesty that kind of deflated the fans a little bit as that ended very quickly.

Was great to see Styles win the belt, such has been my lack of interest for Smackdown as of late I wasn't even aware there was a title match planned for the show until Raw the night before which made the show feel bigger. Good to see some title switches on both shows this week, probably two of the better UK shows I have been too in recent years in all fairness. 

I was reading somewhere that Mahal with the belt was all to do with the Network launch in India so they put the belt on him to hotshot the interest in him but the ratings have taken a bit of a hit so they have switched the belt back to Styles now. I do like all the changes though, gives a bit of unpredictability about the shows, usually the PPV matches would be set in stone and we would all moan that the titles will not change hands for that reason. 

I see Jinder has posted saying there was no immediate reason to his dropping of the title, and on face value possibly true. I'm inclined to believe the India experiment has come to a close, at least this phase and heck, he might not have pissed hot, but who's to say he hasn't pissed warm?

• Paid Members

Well thank god for that. It's about time they changed course on this Jinder experiment. Thankfully they also chose Styles to be the landing pad for the belt. I'm not entirely convinced that it isn't just being done for Survivor Series, with the belt going back to Mahal afterwards, but for now it's great news. 

What was that whole first 21 minutes to the show about? I was bored out of my mind that I completely tuned out. That whole period of the show leading up to Kofi vs Zayn was at least 12 minutes too long. Did I miss anything while I was day dreaming, that may have led to the situation with Zayn and Owens being sent home? 

• Paid Members

Either Sami said the word 'fired' in Vince's voice, or they changed an angle themselves where they were supposed to take a hiding from New Day (and obviously didn't). If you believe the rumours, the situation is due to either of these.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Either Sami said the word 'fired' in Vince's voice, or they changed an angle themselves where they were supposed to take a hiding from New Day (and obviously didn't). If you believe the rumours, the situation is due to either of these.

Cheers for filling me in. I couldn't bring myself to go back and watch it properly. I've no idea why they still insist on these massively drawn out opening segments. The majority of them could easily be half the length, yet still get over the exact same story. 

It'll be interesting to see all of the fall out with the two of them and where things go from here. HHH could well be called upon to do even more house show dates in their absence this week!

I wonder to what extent the AJ Styles win in the U.K. was an experiment to check how much the Smackdown ratings malaise was related to Jinder, and how much was just the new norm. And they only pulled the trigger now because that’s when the U.K. show was scheduled.

They press released it before the US air time and subsequently saw a 23% uptick in viewership. Obviously everyone loves a title change, but that’s going to be hard I ignore isn’t it?

Archived