Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fucking Boo!

All subjective, of course, but I enjoyed his matches with Nakamura. Aye, they weren't Nakamura v Zayn, but they were worthy of the position.

Roode has always been someone that needs a great worker opposite him to have a great match (Roode is wrestling's Denis Irwin - 6/7 every week), so it's worth noting some of his average opponents since joining the old 'E.

• Paid Members

I liked the Nakamura/Roode matches - he had a good old-fashioned heel quality to him, slowing down a more exciting opponent and exploiting a weakness. Why they decided to book him as a babyface on Smackdown is beyond me, other than, "well, they'll pop for the entrance".

16 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Roode hasn't had a great match since he started in NXT. He's too old now to go properly it seems, he'll shine in multi-man matches and gimmick matches I imagine.

Hes only 40. Similar age to Cena and Styles, so I don't think age is a factor as Styles and Cena are now having the best matches of their careers in their 40s compared to 20 years ago when they started out

I agree with the others turn him heel, the only time he was ever good as a face was with Beer Money which could be a possibility now Storms left TNA. But if hes on his own have him heel. 

16 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Roode hasn't had a great match since he started in NXT. He's too old now to go properly it seems, he'll shine in multi-man matches and gimmick matches I imagine.

Roode rolled in on the back of an angle (built with a single shot at a Takeover. You hear that, RAW writers?), cut a blinding promo turning his fan goodwill around and into a great rounded heel character, then had a cracker to dethrone Nakamura, THEN continued elevating meagre NXT challengers through cutting excellent shit-eating promos most weeks and working his solid heel style, letting his opponents shine without going for pops himself. Hell, he even made Roderick Strong look interesting for three weeks.

It's an unwritten rule of wrestling that most stars truly hit their peak in their mid-to-late thirties. Roode is prime for a great run, but right now he's stuck in the "go-out-and-entertain" cycle that writers stick guys in when they know the crowd'll pop but they have no real angles for them on the table. So he'll tick over, being quietly good. I've never seen Roode do anything that looked poney. He's always on.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Roode's first real promo in NXT was a corker, and one a lot of people could learn from. It started out as the same, "I've come to NXT because IT'S THE BEST" promo that pretty much every "name" debut does there, but logically became a smarmy, egotistical heel promo, without ever feeling forced - there was no sudden shift to, "YOU PEOPLE~!" like there could have been from a lesser worker, just this gradual realisation from the audience that, oh shit, he's heeling on us. Masterful stuff.

It's why I find it even odder that he's booked as a face now - he's a natural heel, and if they figured he had to be a face because the entrance would get him over, he's already proven that he can take the audience's goodwill and predisposition towards cheering for him and turn it around on them.

17 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Bullshit.

All of his takeover matches were excellent.

But he has been shit on the Main Roster due to feuding with Dolph Fucking Ziggler.

There's your heel turn angle right there. Roode enters the dreaded losing streak, and nothing he does can get him out of it. Takes loads of advice from legends, playing by the rules but coming up short. Then, he goes back.

Back, to the pond.

He talks. They quack. He turns to camera.

"I know what I have to do."

Bang. Heel.

Disclaimer: Utter shite.

• Paid Members
On 15/11/2017 at 12:08 PM, Ambulance Chaser said:

That opening to Smackdown is one of the most cringey, contrived, nonsensical pieces of Wrestling TV I have seen for so long. Who the fuck is writing this and going "yep, that'll do stick it on TV". It's so bizarre.

My favourite part of it was Sin Cara & Baron Corbin, who are feuding and having a title match that very night, standing pretty much next to each other (there was just one person - possibly Bobby Roode - standing between them).

Shane talks about the title match and the fact the winner will face The Miz at Survivor Series, then Corbin takes the mic (which seemed odd in a small-ish room) and goes on about how he'll still be champ come Survivor Series and will smash The Miz, to which Sin Cara punches the air and starts applauding, celebrating the fact his opponent of the night has just said he's going to run through him with ease.

Archived