Smackdown Discussion Thread

26 minutes ago, DJM said:

With them now taking 6 women from NXT and putting them on Raw and Smackdown, who do we think WWE are going to bring in to replace them in NXT? Shayna Baszler seems a quite obvious choice, but who else?

I’d go with Baszler, Bel Air will get more time too, Candice LeRae may get a spot, Mercedes Martinez, Taynara Conti and Dakota Kai

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
18 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I’d go with Baszler, Bel Air will get more time too, Candice LeRae may get a spot, Mercedes Martinez, Taynara Conti and Dakota Kai

NXT's got a reasonably healthy women's division with Ember Moon, Nikki Cross, Peyton & Billie, Kairi Sane, Bianca Belair's on their roster page now, Zelina Vega looks like she can do some stuff, there's Lacey Evans who I always forget about, and then as TildeGuy says, you've got various Mae Young Classic participants to work with. Enough to keep them going for a while I'd say, and more choice than it seems like SmackDown's had all year.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DJM said:

With them now taking 6 women from NXT and putting them on Raw and Smackdown

Well they haven't really, they've taken 3- 4 at a push. Paige isn't NXT, Mandy Rose hasn't been there for god knows how long and Sarah Logan has only made a few appearances doing jobs really.

Of the three remaining Sonya won't be a miss as she'd done hardly anything of note and also Liv Morgan was kind of just making up numbers. Ruby Riot will be the only loss of sorts. As HG mentioned, Bianca Belair and Lacey Evans will probably get a bit of a push now. To be honest they needed to move some of the women on as the NXT Women's roster was getting pretty big- and even bigger when you take into account they have signed (eg Dakota Kai) or are booking (Mercedes Martinez) some of the Mae Young Classic competitors. Their roster was larger than either Raw or Smackdown's women's division, perhaps bigger than both combined.

• Paid Members

Really happy to see Ruby Riot make it to the main roster, but not particularly optimistic on how they did it - sticking three random women together as a stable is already extremely lazy, doing it the day after an almost identical angle on RAW is even worse, and already makes the Smackdown trio look like a pale imitation.

Hopefully the group dynamic will be a little different - on RAW you have an established WWE performer at the head of the group, so the other two are likely to be more her lackeys (with my money on Deville for the eventual turn on Paige), whereas the Smackdown group could theoretically be presented as equals - but they're always going to be compared to each other, and it's setting Ruby up to be labelled as a poor man's Paige by a legion of neckbeards.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

As HG mentioned, Bianca Belair and Lacey Evans will probably get a bit of a push now. To be honest they needed to move some of the women on as the NXT Women's roster was getting pretty big- and even bigger when you take into account they have signed (eg Dakota Kai) or are booking (Mercedes Martinez) some of the Mae Young Classic competitors. Their roster was larger than either Raw or Smackdown's women's division, perhaps bigger than both combined.

This is spot on. I think you also have to factor in the women who they haven't signed from the MYC, who could still potentially come in down the line as well. At the end of the day NXT is a developmental promotion, and the likes of Deville, Morgan and Rose may just have gone as far as they can in at the PC/NXT and they feel it's time to give them a go and see if they sink or swim, and then make room for others to move onto the NXT roster.  There is finite space on NXT television, and a lot of talent to try and feature and get ready for the main roster, so some people have to move up, but balanced with not losing the bigger stars at that level in order to keep the interest for it as a touring brand. It's a delicate balance. 

• Paid Members

I did a quick count-up earlier and I reckon before this week there were 9 women wrestlers on Raw (including Paige) and 7 on Smackdown (including Lana, I suppose). NXT can be disputed but I counted 17 with signed contracts that were at least semi-regular over the past several months (excluding those that have only appeared on MYC).

I haven't seen Smackdown yet, but Bleacher.com made a comment that Sarah Logan was barking orders when the three women ran riot (no pun intended). Did it come across that Logan might be the leader? Naturally I'd assume it would be Ruby Riot.

• Paid Members

A few times, including a battle royal once. Hasn't been involved in any angles, probably hasn't picked up a win, just a few jobs.

I'm sure Ian mentioned she is or was an item with Mad Man Pondo, so she's nuts for a start.

From having SmackDown highlights on in the background and only half paying attention, I thought Paige's group had invaded again when the backstage attack happened. It was only the one in the Charlotte match that made me realise they'd just done the same thing again but with three different woman.

I feel Mike Kanellis is a wasted gimmick, he's nothing special in-ring but if they fleshed out his gimmick it could be a strong mid card heel, Maria getting pregnant stopped anything they had planned but they could've gone ott with it and have his entrance video loaded with sonogram baby pics, and the cheesiest Instagram pics like those collage friend videos on facebook,

Like most its a character that could be good given the chance or effort

• Paid Members

Why are they doing the 3 woman group from angle on Raw AND Smackdown?

Nothing of any note happened on Smackers this week. Utterly pointless week of TV. At this point, I think I'd take Russo writing one of them just to give us something to talk about.

Archived