Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

That was his point, wasn't it?

Ah, I misread. Thought he said to save it for a ppv after the Rumble.

In that case, completely agree- I'd opt for Zayn for that reason. Something fresh, and at least Vince won't have to see the munchkins closing a show.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I actually watched SmackDown last night. Apart from the opening segment chat-a-thon being interminable and the main event being an enjoyable match, my main takeaway was how weird it seemed to me that a guy like Randy Orton would declare himself as entering the Rumble before they've announced who AJ is defending against at the show. He's been champion a million times, surely you'd wait for the inevitable contenders match to be announced before resigning yourself to having to enter the Rumble? Just me?

Maybe he wants to get in before all the spots are gone?

If all it takes is for someone to get on screen and say I'm Declaring myself IN the Rumble he doesn't want to hang around and the miss the boat.

Which also asks the question if that's all it takes, it makes the lower card guys look absolute fools for not declaring now whilst there are seemingly spots open

People like Primo, Epico, R-Truth should be jumping in now surely whilst the spots are available.

That also brings me to the women's version who also seem to be doing 1-2 entrants a week when its blindingly obvious every women is going to be in it anyway as there are more spots then Women even on the rosters combined.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Ah, I misread. Thought he said to save it for a ppv after the Rumble.

In that case, completely agree- I'd opt for Zayn for that reason. Something fresh, and at least Vince won't have to see the munchkins closing a show.

Yeah, exactly. Rumble has always been the PPV where they can get away with lumping the likes of Hardcore Holly and Dolph Ziggler in title matches. Styles vs Zayn wouldn't be out of place there.

On that note, Zayn's been a revelation as a heel, for me. For somebody who was so over and likeable in his NXT run to now be a smug overbearing shit you're constantly wanting to get punched, that's some turnaround. The exaggerated walk during his entrance is genius. The guy's brilliant.

• Awards Moderator
10 hours ago, MVP RULZ said:

Maybe he wants to get in before all the spots are gone?

If all it takes is for someone to get on screen and say I'm Declaring myself IN the Rumble he doesn't want to hang around and the miss the boat.

Which also asks the question if that's all it takes, it makes the lower card guys look absolute fools for not declaring now whilst there are seemingly spots open

People like Primo, Epico, R-Truth should be jumping in now surely whilst the spots are available.

That also brings me to the women's version who also seem to be doing 1-2 entrants a week when its blindingly obvious every women is going to be in it anyway as there are more spots then Women even on the rosters combined.

You’d think with so much TV time to fill they’d do qualifying matches or something. Uses up 10 minutes at a time, makes matches mean so,ething, and everyone in the Rumble will have earned their spot.

• Paid Members

Yeah, don't get me started on the inconsistency between some guys just being ok to declare themselves in and some guys being forced into qualifiers. Nonsense. I miss the championship committee.

Qualifying matches don't work that well. If it's Roman Reigns vs Curt Hawkins, the winner is too obvious. If it's Roman Reigns vs Samoa Joe, you have to do a shitty non-finish or write one of your top guys out of the Rumble.

The likes of Reigns and Orton shouldn't have to win qualifying matches, mind. The lower end of the card could still do qualifiers - Gable vs Benjamin or whatever.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Wrasslin said:

Wrestler: "Can I be in the rumble?" 

WWE: "Na Michael Cole is going to enter in an Orange Singlet instead"

Let's not confuse today, where the roster has enough depth for qualifying matches to narrow the potential field down to 30, with 2012 when all three commentators, Mick Foley and Ricardo bloody Rodriguez needed to pad it out.

On the note of "winner too obvious" matches..... Beat The Clock is a ludicrous concept. My least favourite TV shows ever are where their 5/6 guys race to beat their designated midcarder, then invariably one of them has to act devastated when they couldn't win in two minutes a guy that was Intercontinental champ the month before. Such needless signposting of "these guys WINNERS, opponents largely irrelevant."

The booking of that Smackdown show :laugh:

Good god almighty, so they have the most universally over babyface they have had in years in AJ, every demo likes and cheers him, and they are now clearly sticking the one guy who was MORE over as a face than him as his antagonist, thus forcing fans to cheer one over the other when they are both adored. WHAT A FUCKING MESS. All this because Bryan is leaving and they want to spite him and have him turn heel before he goes and wrestles elsewhere.

The US Title Tourney match was shite, load of comedy bollocks, New Day are beyond a parody at this point, nothing they ever do feels meaningful when you have Kofi stood with his tiara on and flipping pancakes.

This show was diabolical.

The Usos false finish was just a nonsense too. They get beat in the space of two minutes then win the belts back on a technicality.

Not to mention Gable and Benjamin now looking like mugs from it too, they pin the wrong guy and then get beat in very quick time of the match restarting.

I get it's all meant to be part of the storyline but what a farce that was. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

All this because Bryan is leaving and they want to spite him and have him turn heel before he goes and wrestles elsewhere.

OR

He isn't turning heel at all, given how painstakingly obvious they are being with it, and it's all a swerve?

Archived