Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members

I quite like Jinder, plus The Bollywood Boys are going to be far better off as heels, and it's something different at least.

I presume Owens' Face of America open challenge becomes a weekly thing until eventually Cena comes back to answer the challenge. There's a nice symmetry to that if so, given the way Owens debuted initially.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Assuming titles stay where they are, we can "look forward to" Orton v Mahal? 

Christ that's crushingly dull. I'm in despair at how shit that sounds. 

Regarding Cena I'm still of the opinion that Orton's waiting for him to come back to gift him his record-breaking title. 

That Face of America gimmick is great. Owens is really going to get that over. 

• Paid Members

On one hand, if WWE are trying to make a top-level heel that the fans hate, Jinder makes sense as the fans can't stand him- especially after clobbering their precious Finn Balor (this push reminds me a little of JBL in 2004). The problem is, does anyone care about Oron VS Jinder? I have no interest in either, so really couldn't care about this.

19 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

On one hand, if WWE are trying to make a top-level heel that the fans hate, Jinder makes sense as the fans can't stand him- especially after clobbering their precious Finn Balor (this push reminds me a little of JBL in 2004). The problem is, does anyone care about Oron VS Jinder? I have no interest in either, so really couldn't care about this.

Surely the same could have been said about when JBL won the title post-brand split.

Back then he was just drafted to Smackdown after months of shit on Raw. Went on to challenge for the title, with everybody questioning the logic behind it, won, and gradually was gold with it.

At least it wasn't Mojo. At first I didn't realise it was for the WWE title and with the caliber of people in it I genuinely thought it was for the US title. So when Jinder won and was number one contender for the WWE title I was shocked. 

Everyone knows the result of the upcoming match. Just now becomes down to Jinder if he can stay there and if him and Orton can have a decent match. Tremendous opportunity for him though. 

I like new guys getting opportunities they wouldn't usually get, I like things to happen gradually though, not losing to one of the smallest guys in the company in 4 minutes one week to becoming number one contender to the WWE Title a week later.

A stable with the Bollywood Boyz could be fun though, willing to see how it pans out.

Regarding Cena I'm still of the opinion that Orton's waiting for him to come back to gift him his record-breaking title. 

That Face of America gimmick is great. Owens is really going to get that over. 

Surely Cena getting his record title is next years Mania moment?

Orton can run with fueds with the likes of Corbin, AJ, Owens throughout the Summer into the fall, and as someone suggested earlier when Cena comes back for his 2 months in August then another short run with Owens for the US belt sounds ideal.

No idea who will be champ come Mania next year though for Cena to face, maybe stick it back on AJ or something?

• Paid Members

A match with Jinder mahal, Mojo Rawley and Erick Rowan got a "This is awesome" chant.

Jinder Mahal will fight for the WWE Title on a PPV.

American Alpha jobbed to the Shining Stars.Clean.

This was the weirdest Smackdown ever.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Currently, absolutely none, but they've only just decided Jinder is worth a go and, frankly, Orton is about as dull a champion as you'll find. It's all work for the Smackdown writing team, but we'll have to see how it plays out. As mentioned, if Jinder can show he can elevate their shit and show he's got some genuine chops as a featured act, then he'll get more chances - similar to JBL.

It's good, though. SD clearly got shafted in the draft, so trying to elevate some of the randoms that don't get used freshens things up, but it's the job of the writing team to make us care. For Orton, it could have been worse, he could have been stuck with Kane.

Who fucking wrote that Dillinger promo, one of the most naturally likeable blokes in the company who has managed to stay cheered for about 30 years - among the full sail lot no less, gets some kind of cocky, smart arse promo to spill out. So weird.

The people now saying "I don't actually mind Jinder", "it's something fresh"......IT'S JINDER FUCKING MAHAL. In a WWE Title match. Seriously get the fuck out of here with that talk.

Orton can't cut a promo to save his life can he, he is truly abysmal, just fucking inspire me Randy, do SOMETHING to pique my interest and give me a reason to watch you.

Wow. Jinder.

So, it was very clear before tonight that they were in desperate need of making a new top level heel or two, since Smackdown only really has Owens (who they're keeping away from the WWE Title) and Corbin (who they are protecting for later this year/start of next). Timing is everything. Glad that PunkStep made the JBL comparison, because that was the exact same thing I thought - when Angle went down and Brock left, Eddie had no challengers, and Bradshaw was the emergency throw in.

No doubt in my mind that if he was healthy, Rusev was getting this spot.

I'm all for something different, but Jinder Mahal is bloody awful. As a personality, I'm not against him, time will tell the story. But as a worker, he's all over the shop. He couldn't stop stepping on people's spots in the Mania Battle Royal.

And who decided, after seeing Jinder give Balor a concussion with a worked elbow, that the next guy to put him in with would be Randy Orton, of all people. What a rib.

American Alpha, my God.

Audience - "push new guys. I'm sick of seeing the same thing"

*Jinder Mahal wins #1 contendership*

Audience - "what are they pushing him for!~? Push Sami Zayn!~"

in all seriousness though, Jinder Mahal? Wow. I'm reckoning it's just to fill that post-Mania/into Summerslam gap. He'll get one PPV match out of it and that'll be it done with, same as when R-Truth fought Cena at Capital Punishment. If it's happening at Backlash in May, they always put it in the middle of the show and have Styles v Owens for the US go on at the end 

With Orton v Styles happening on the upcoming European tour (they been announced for matches against eachother in Italy & Spain) that's my reckoning for Summerslam main event on the Smackdown side of things

• Paid Members

Awful episode of Smackdown last night. I get they want to try something new, but I have zero interest in seeing Orton vs Jinder main event Backlash for the title. I have no reason to care for either one. Didn't get the participants for that number 1 contenders match either. Sami took the pin last week so was in the match but Baron wasn't. Odd decisions being made

Archived