Smackdown Discussion Thread

I'm not too bothered about Jinder winning. The only thing I hated about it was how, after coming across as reasonable and ambitious on last week's Talking Smack, he seemed to revert back to that typical, old race-based 80's "foreigner" gimmick. I mean, I know it may be an easy way to get heat when you're in Kentucky - and, to be fair, it kinda worked - but I couldn't be less interested in 2011 Jinder Mahal. If he's supposed to be a new and improved version of the guy we've watched lose for years, sell him as such. Everything he said on Talking Smack the week before - "I went back to the drawing board, got in the best shape of anyone on this roster and doubled down on my training to become a champion" - is a fair enough base. So send him out as an arrogant prick who bangs on about his superior physique and conviction that he's going to be a champion. He seemed okay again on Talking Smack this week, so I just hope they steer away from the 80's race-based stuff. Probably won't, knowing WWE, but I hope I'm wrong..

I still enjoyed the whole show much more than Raw, mental as some of the booking seemed. It's such a breezy watch.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he gets that over, it'd be a great way to bring back Cody 

Also how much of a wasted opportunity that for this "six pack challenge" that Jinder didn't cut a promo pre match and been like "six pack challenge? *pointing to self* award me the win right now!" 

• Paid Members

Jinder vs Orton might be the new standard for me. Like RVD vs Mr Kennedy levels of not giving a fuck.

Its not even a Jinder thing. It's just if you want to get someone over with me, putting him with Orton is like not putting him on TV at all. Orton's got the opposite of the midas touch when it comes to World title reigns.

Can't see anything other than Vince playing his audience and a locker room. He may like his physique, but I think Vince got a kick out of Jinder knocking Hunter's guy around two weeks ago. As preposterous a reason why Mahal has been skyrocketed in two weeks, I just don't buy that he really thinks Jinder is great all of a sudden.

Reminds me of R-Truth getting that brief main event shot at Cena a few years back.

I thought the intro video this week was a good effort at trying to make everyone look a bigger deal than they really are.

Did you guys know that Charlotte is now called Charlotte FLAIR? Thanks commentators for continuingly reminding me.

Kayfabe-wise, does Jinder not work? He was a jobber, he's gone away and locked himself in the gym for a few years and come back with a new attitude and mean streak. Is it not unreasonable for people to believe that somebody can improve themselves and can naturally get better by being stronger and fitter? As others have pointed out though, this was probably Rusev's spot and they badly need a proper heel challenger for old Randy. 

I dont mind, it, the addition of whoever his mates are too make it all seem plausible as hes not doing it alone. My main problem is that it does make Styles, Corbin, Zayn and Owens look a bit stupid. They all bolted last week and particularly Styles, who got himself locked in a US title match when he seemingly could and should have been involved in the 6 pack. 

They obviously want Styles away from the title until summer though and Nakamura to slowly plod his way through a few guys before having the big confrontations.

• Paid Members

Does Nakamura have a kushty little contract when it comes to wrestling? Does he do house shows? He didn't wrestle often in NXT and three weeks after his call-up he's yet to have a match. Does he have a limited schedule or are they sensibly avoiding overexposure with him?

Isn't he still working NXT House Shows, I'm sure I read they were keeping him on there as generally ticket sales are not great so they are using him to boost NXT. There may be a case of not wanting to expose him so much also I'd think, make it seem special when he does wrestle on TV.

I'm still convinced once Vince's medicine wears off and he realises he's on one of his shows he will be walking to the ring with a pale of salt and a sword.

• Paid Members

I think he was doing all the NXT house shows, so I imagine it's a case of the latter to keep him fresh, which is 100% the right way to go. Keep him special, especially as he is far better suited to big matches than short TV matches.

18 minutes ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

I'm still convinced once Vince's medicine wears off and he realises he's on one of his shows he will be walking to the ring with a pale of salt and a sword.

Suddenly the Jinder thing makes sense! They're distracting him with hugely vascular people so he won't even notice Nakamura's on the show!

Archived