Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm actually enjoying this Jinder push. I don't want him winning the belt or anything, but I think he'll make a decent enough upper-mid heel. The match against Zayn was fine, now I've accepted they're never going to do anything with Sami.

State of Kevin Owens head on the ramp during his entrance. Is the intention to make him look like Wreck-It Ralph?

The roster still looks threadbare though. Even more obvious when there's no Nakamura, Corbin, Jericho is being written out and people like Rusev/New Day haven't shown up yet. Unpopular opinion too, but the Womens division is still taking up too much time for my liking. Tag division can't get a look-in.

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Sami has done some senseless jobs this past year but laying down for Jinder Juice might just take the biscuit.

I haven't seen SD yet, but this comment makes me want to see it!

Surely, in the short term, if the intention is to at least half make it believable that Jinder is a threat to Orton, he has to beat schlubs like Sami?

They clearly have zero interest in Sami Zayn on any level. He's just a mid-card floater, designed to lie down for, validate and justify pushes for people they have some interest in.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Surely, in the short term, if the intention is to at least half make it believable that Jinder is a threat to Orton, he has to beat schlubs like Sami?

They clearly have zero interest in Sami Zayn on any level. He's just a mid-card floater, designed to lie down for, validate and justify pushes for people they have some interest in.

It doesn't make it less sickening that a talented and popular member of the roster is constantly used as fodder for anyone, let alone a guy who was a jobber three weeks ago.

It's not a remotely interesting push. It doesn't even rate up there with JBL's. JBL was shit on by most of the internet but he'd been a star on some level, hadn't been a jabroni for about 6 years and had a complete gimmick overhaul. He needed time. This isn't even that. It's a job guy reverting to a gimmick that didn't get over at the bottom of the card six years ago and the only "overhaul" is to add the Eastern Noble and Mercury. It's fucking dire.

I could live with it if they had nothing else but that's clearly bollocks when AJ Styles is dicking about for the US Title. That would be fresh, logical and a billion times better than this. Why not go to that and progress Jinder on the undercard? Give the guy a chance to be taken seriously. Loads of guys for him to work through and tell a story. Anyone remember stories? Wrestling used to tell them.

• Paid Members

I honestly think they're going to give Jinder a lengthy, JBL-esque run with the belt. He won't necessarily win it on his first attempt, but I think he'll hold it from at least Summerslam to Wrestlemania.

I think he's the fall guy for John Cena to beat at next year's Wrestlemania to pick up his record-breaking title reign, and they need someone that the audience are going to universally want to see lose so badly that they're not as likely to get all shitty about Cena beating Flair's record.

John Cena vs. Evil Foreigner at Wrestlemania, that's what this is all about.

5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It doesn't make it less sickening that a talented and popular member of the roster is constantly used as fodder for anyone, let alone a guy who was a jobber three weeks ago.

It's not a remotely interesting push. It doesn't even rate up there with JBL's. JBL was shit on by most of the internet but he'd been a star on some level, hadn't been a jabroni for about 6 years and had a complete gimmick overhaul. He needed time. This isn't even that. It's a job guy reverting to a gimmick that didn't get over at the bottom of the card six years ago and the only "overhaul" is to add the Eastern Noble and Mercury. It's fucking dire.

I could live with it if they had nothing else but that's clearly bollocks when AJ Styles is dicking about for the US Title. That would be fresh, logical and a billion times better than this. Why not go to that and progress Jinder on the undercard? Give the guy a chance to be taken seriously. Loads of guys for him to work through and tell a story. Anyone remember stories? Wrestling used to tell them.

But, it's a simple commercial decision. Jinder's being pushed whilst they're pushing through some big business in India.

He'll be gone soon, when he's no longer useful, and Sami will be laying down for Rusev when Bulgaria is the next emerging market.

The product follows the business these days, not the other way round.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

But, it's a simple commercial decision. Jinder's being pushed whilst they're pushing through some big business in India.

The Indians would have to be as thick as the people writing this stuff.

41 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

The Indians would have to be as thick as the people writing this stuff.

Everyone likes to cheer for the home team, don't they? Isn't the Indian market particularly tribal as well, didn't they used to edit shows to portray Khali as the big babyface, and so he won all his matches?

The type of fans who are drawn to professional wrestling seem to favour jingoism, in the main. Jinder just seems to be lucky that there's an apparent lack of Indian talent for them to push. Dependent on how important the market is to them, I could well see him winning the title.

• Paid Members

Yeah Daz is right. You look at Khali, he's treated like a bloody god out there. Even if he is heel, and Canadian, he will help WWE in that area massively. They're hoping to achieve something similar with this Bin Wang guy in China, but that's a much harder task given that he makes Jinder look like Hogan (he is in developmental, to be fair).

I don't know about editing shows to portray Khali as the winning babyface though, that sounds like a North Korean football team story.

• Paid Members

How come India wasn't a key market until four weeks ago? Ha something changed or have they only just learned to count?

Also, Mahal would be a heel in India. That's why they'd have to be fucking stupid. Maybe they are?

• Awards Moderator

I'm also doubtful of the editing shows to portray Khali differently theory, but it'd be funny if it were true and that the reason Jinder has stolen the belt is so they can re-edit it in India to make it look like he's already champion.

Archived