Smackdown Discussion Thread

Wasn't it a similar thing with DDP when he turned down getting paid for sitting on beaches to come work for them and (God forbid!) suggested some spots for a cage match with Taker?Ā 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
8 minutes ago, The Dart said:

Ā 

Yet people constantly blab on about how the best characters in wrestling are extensions of their real selves.Ā  Maybe that's not always the case then.

It depends on the real self! If someone's an irritating sod, you can't expect them to get over as a babyface by going out on TV and being an irritating sod. There needs to be a germ of something that works there in the first place.

I'm not sure I agree with the whole "be yourself turned up to 11" mantra anyway. It only works for a select few. For others, being as far from yourself as possible works far better, as it removes the sense of ego from the performance as it's not you doing something on TV, it's the character.

Ā 

1 minute ago, sj5522 said:

Wasn't it a similar thing with DDP when he turned down getting paid for sitting on beaches to come work for them and (God forbid!) suggested some spots for a cage match with Taker?Ā 

I think it was less that DDP suggested spots so much as DDP would script matches from start to finish, and the WWF guys at the time didn't, and he hadn't realised what a faux pas it would be to effectively walk up to Taker and say "this is what we'll be doing in our match".

• Moderators

I'm not watching WWE, but Sami's been very outspoken of Trump, his policies and his cabinet on Twitter, even around the time Linda was hired. Punishing someone for this wouldn't even make the top 1000 pettiest things they've done to an employee. The McMahons can't have been happy with his public anger at the proposed Muslim flight ban, when they were all chumming it up for Oval Office photos with President Piss.

• Paid Members

You cant have an opinion working for the McMahons. They are all so thin-skinned. The fact they are trying to portray Stephanie McMahon in the media as this girl who worked her way up through struggles to get this position as the biggest bird in the empire is laughable. Even their real personas have to be fake.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

You cant have an opinion working for the McMahons. They are all so thin-skinned. The fact they are trying to portray Stephanie McMahon in the media as this girl who worked her way up through struggles to get this position as the biggest bird in the empire is laughable. Even their real personas have to be fake.

Which makes perfect sense for them to be in bed with Trump, who is perhaps the thinnest-skinned (certainly not in a literal sense) human being alive today.

I think the story about when Steph and Heyman fell out during a creative meeting all those years ago just sums her up.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Astro Hollywood said:

I'm not watching WWE, but Sami's been very outspoken of Trump, his policies and his cabinet on Twitter, even around the time Linda was hired. Punishing someone for this wouldn't even make the top 1000 pettiest things they've done to an employee. The McMahons can't have been happy with his public anger at the proposed Muslim flight ban, when they were all chumming it up for Oval Office photos with President Piss.

Very true. Sami's lucky he just looks like a pasty ginger Canadian bloke, otherwise he'd be dressed up like Daivari by now. I'm always slightly amazed they let him wrestle with his Arabic name on his tights.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I think it was less that DDP suggested spots so much as DDP would script matches from start to finish, and the WWF guys at the time didn't, and he hadn't realised what a faux pas it would be to effectively walk up to Taker and say "this is what we'll be doing in our match".

Oh yeah in fairness I'm now remembering a story about DDP going up to Vince, giving him a big hug and going "I'm home!" which sounds like something you'd do if you lost a bet

30 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Very true. Sami's lucky he just looks like a pasty ginger Canadian bloke, otherwise he'd be dressed up like Daivari by now. I'm always slightly amazed they let him wrestle with his Arabic name on his tights.

They probably dont even know thats what it is to be fair.Ā 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

What a div DDP is. That scripting matches will never catch on.

• Paid Members

Benoit apparently tore up one of DDP's scripts in front of him, too.

Mad thing is, Savage/Steamboat was scripted. They apparently use to pass each other in the locker room, call out "Spot 17" or whatever, and the other would answer back what move/sequence that was, they knew the match that well. Savage scripted absolutely everything.

It's not so much about scripting per se, as who leads the match. Page wasn't in a position to take the lead over the Undertaker, especially not when coming in as "a WCW guy".

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

But at least Savage had the sense to leave his legal pad of notes back at the hotel and go over it with Steamboat in private, whereas DDP would have his at the show

Get it right, WyattSCUMSheepMask. It was on a Palm pilot.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Which makes perfect sense for them to be in bed with Trump, who is perhaps the thinnest-skinned (certainly not in a literal sense) human being alive today.

I think the story about when Steph and Heyman fell out during a creative meeting all those years ago just sums her up.

If you believe him, Prichard said on his podcast Stephanie's insecurity made herĀ impossible to deal with prior to him getting the boot.

6 hours ago, BomberPat said:

From what I've heard, Sami talks a lot, basically never shutting up. It seems like they've made that his on-screen character now, which is likely a rib on him, but it definitely comes across that he's pissed someone off. So petty and counterproductive to actively undermine a great babyface by making him out to be an irritating idiot on television - where's the possible upside in that?

On Bring It To The Table, they actually played a clip of JBL saying he'd rather be kidnapped by ISIS than have to talk wrestling with Sami Zayn. Even for a heel announcer, why on Earth would you broadcast someone saying that about one of your best babyface wrestlers?

Yeah, I cant see any upside in giving quite a bland guy alot of talking time on TV and general personality? Wouldnt most of the roster kill to be stood in a segment between Randy Orton and AJ Styles and be able to talk non stop? If thats a way of punishing/ribbing someone, then im sure many others will be hoping to fall into the bad books soon.

Archived