Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I've been happy to stay patient and take Jinder's push at face value, I thought this week's celebration and promo were pretty bad for two reasons. Firstly, he's not a good promo, so without other people to carry the weight he's much more exposed. Secondly, wrestling leaning on race and ethnicity is always a problem, but this has an unusual edge to it because Jinder isn't even really being the stereotypical, old-fashioned "foreigner" heel, running down America like Rusev was, for example. He's basically coming out and saying, "you people don't like me because I'm different!", and, by having a crowd boo him during a relatively earnest celebration of Indian culture, he's proven kinda right. I'm not certain WWE would even have to edit too much to make him look like the face over there. Take away the Singh Brothers' minor interference and he's practically the hero.

The Breezango/Usos bit was slightly weird. I felt like they could have gotten away with the two, quick singles matches and then held off the tag title match for later. I'm not complaining, really, because right now I'll take as much of both teams as they're willing to give me, but it definitely seemed unusual.

And the main event... this had to be the first time in very long time - well over a decade, I expect - that an authority figure announced a flung-together tag team match as the main event and I was actually excited. Nakamura and AJ, Nakamura vs Owens, AJ vs Owens, Dolph Ziggler was also there. And then they finished it with what I thought was the most sensible, effective booking they could do: Nakamura getting the clean win over Owens. I was pretty pleased.

Oh, and I know a lot of people here are tired of The New Day, but seeing them on Talking Smack, I'm still completely on board. There's so much natural charm.

• Paid Members

Randy Orton is a shit promo and bland in the ring too and he's been champion what? 15 times? 

It might be go away heat, but in an era where the heels are cheered more than the faces and the only audience left won't turn over anyway, go away heat is the best heat a heel can get.

34 minutes ago, textonly said:

Jinder isn't even really being the stereotypical, old-fashioned "foreigner" heel, running down America like Rusev was, for example. He's basically coming out and saying, "you people don't like me because I'm different!", and, by having a crowd boo him during a relatively earnest celebration of Indian culture, he's proven kinda right.

Exactly this. I can get over a boring champion with extremely limited upside and I can get over lazy hotshot booking. 

The gimmick makes me want to spit in disgust though. Foreign heels come and go and are a mixed bag in terms of what they offer, obviously Rusev is class and has more than one element to his character, but this is probably the worst thing I've seen them do since I started watching again in 2014. It's been the same croaky-throated lazy promo over and over again and they are begging you to boo the brown guy who accuses people of racism. That's just abysmal. 

Keep comparing it to Hassan cos that's the only modern example as bad as this in my eyes. At least Islam isn't involved this time thank christ, but it's still absolutely regressive rubbish isn't it? It's just not going to end well, and will alienate tons of people. 

There have been reports of racist comments at Smackdown. If that surprises anybody at WWE, they want slapping. 

Couldn't even get excited about AJ & Naka tagging. Might have to knock SD on the head till this is over. What a shame. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Randy Orton is a shit promo and bland in the ring too and he's been champion what? 15 times? 

Orton showed more charisma throwing the Bollywood Boys about than Jinder has in his whole career.

Orton is excellent in reality, but plays it safe and half arses 80+% of his stuff, hence why I can only be arsed with him in flashes.

Jinder is trying his arse off and it's still shit. Though I don't really blame him. 

I'm not saying I'm on board with the Jinder stuff, I'm not...BUT, he does look fucking boss with the title.

That and, after seeing the opening video package for Smackdown, they seem to be implicitly acknowledging the fact that everyone thinks it's ridiculous.

Archived