Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

On the presentation of Nakamura, I know it's only a few little tweaks, but I really resent his current entrance.

His debut entrance production is perfect; do that!

Yeah, the video screens are shit now for his entrance. They've done away with most of the splashes of colour at the beginning and just gone with black background. But the worst thing is when they put his name on the big screen they've now opted for a shitty generic east Asian font that you see on packets of noodles, rather than the brilliant Kill Bill-esque red on black. His NXT tron looked boss. I mean, look:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SOI_GejRToc/hqdefault.jpg

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fair show, this week, I thought. Minimal Jinder and Orton, then lots of other stuff I liked. I was particularly into the Women's MITB match announcement though. Hell knows what the match will actually look like, but it's intriguing at least. Out of pure curiosity now, I'm probably looking forward to that match more than anything billed for either of the next two PPV's.

You know another thing that annoyed me, and it plays into what Rick was saying about just let the guy be different, essentially be himself.....When he came out it was either pre match or talking wearing his own fucking t-shirt, as if Nakamura should be doing that. That is Kevin Owens, peddling his shirts and hiding his big fat gut, and Seth Rollins in his latest shite design. Nakamura should surely within the character's definition go "i'm wearing this sweet leather jacket and that's that".

Little thing I know, but for me there are too many little things, and added together are really dampening my enjoyment of a guy I used to love watching. Having him talk with a gum shield in, just FUCK OFF. I'm done rambling now.

• Paid Members

I've seen Nakamura live - as I'm sure plenty of us here have - and he was one of, if not the most charismatic performer I've ever seen live. Certainly in wrestling, but he may be up there in any capacity - only Iggy Pop is giving him a run for his money.

If you watch the episode of Breaking Ground he was on, Triple H is walking him through his entrance and basically says, "I don't know why I'm telling you this", because he knows Shinsuke already gets it. They know that Shinsuke is a star, they just need to let him be Shinsuke. Every little change they have made since he's been on Smackdown has watered him down, muddied the waters, or just made him feel like another bloke on the roster.

The amount of times I saw that Backlash PPV indent with him in it would suggest that they are behind him, but it's just whether or not Shinsuke doing what Shinsuke does will translate well onto the main roster show. NXT is catered much more towards the indie and Japanese style of wrestling and pulls that demographic in, you only have to look at the Full Sail audience and count the Bullet Club tshirts to see that. That section of the audience knew his work and him working on top there lent itself well to his 15-20 minute match style. 

However, when it came to him doing the shorter matches he did seem to struggle a bit, which is a concern for him wrestling on Smackdown. Main Roster is a different beast altogether, and I don't think he is a good fit for the MITB Match at all. A longer build would have allowed for the main roster audience and the TV watching audience get more familiar with him and in time give them a reason to get behind him. Instead he's been thrown straight into a match that he's not worked before (the only gimmick match I've ever seen him work was the Cage match with Ssmoa Joe in NXT) that he won't win.

Having said that, if you take a look at the Smackdown roster and who is available for something, who do you put him against? The only people who arn't involved in a worthwhile story at the moment are Aiden English, Americsn Alpha, Erik Rowan, The Colons, Mayor Kane, Ascension, Luke Harper, Mojo Rawley, Sin Cara...and what a list of shitarses that is. The only person worth anything not currently involved in something is Rusev. Now, I'm sure they could do something decent, but if you were to do that feud for any real stretch of time, you would need Rusev get some sort of win which would fuck Shinsuke's momentum.

Only other viable option right now is to rematch with Ziggler

I will give WWE this, they are trying their very best with Jinder, if this fails you can't really knock the machine, got a personal ring announcement, then the way they produced his entrance was bloody class. He looked a beast stood there, glistening with oil, menacing with only his eyes showing and that belt actually didn't LOOK out of place on him. The way the camera did a 360 around him, showing the tremendous physique that has got Vince's blood flowing.

Unfortunately after 3 minutes of that the bell rings and I like feel trapping my head in the fridge door. So fucking mediocre, just the pure definition of "meh", he has no credible offence, he isn't believable as in he doesn't wrestle to his size, does this make any sense because I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with how little he is improving in that ring. Then he wins, says something bland and fucking trips over the bottom rope as he attempts to climb up and celebrate. I'm trying to be fair, he looks the business, WWE are desperate for it, trying so hard to make me think he's the man, but unfortunately I saw him and Mojo fucking Rawley on the same level as they were Wrestling.

To hop on last week's convo, the best description I've heard on Nakamura in WWE is that "it's like a Vice article about New Japan" 

14 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Are American Alpha out with an injury? Seems strange they are just off TV when the tag division is paper thin. 

Not sure if either are injured, but I guess that are not really needed on Smackdown at the moment. There is only really need/time for one tag feud on Smackdown and Usos/New Day is that feud at the moment.

Archived