Smackdown Discussion Thread

It's definitely interesting seeing the range of reactions to Sami. Personally I loved it. Someone already mentioned the bit with The Shield, which was probably the most fun he'd been in WWE. This was a nice continuation. What it reminds me of most is actually Daniel Bryan's first slow creep into being a heel. You can see that character - the enthusiastic know-it-all who nobody has time/respect for - either snapping out of frustration or slowly finding himself on the wrong side of the face GM's. It's not something I expect to see any time soon, but there's a seed there, and quite frankly any chance to show some kind of personality can only be a good thing for Zayn. I'm 100% on board for more skits like that. Sami Zayn: The Human Scrappy Doo.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
16 hours ago, Van Dammer said:

Yeah, I cant see any upside in giving quite a bland guy alot of talking time on TV and general personality? Wouldnt most of the roster kill to be stood in a segment between Randy Orton and AJ Styles and be able to talk non stop? If thats a way of punishing/ribbing someone, then im sure many others will be hoping to fall into the bad books soon.

I see your point, and I'm normally the last to complain about someone being "buried" or punished on TV - if they really don't like someone, they don't put them on TV every week. But you don't get a babyface over by having them be annoying, and having other babyfaces say that they're annoying. Nor do I put much truck in "he got to be in a segment with AJ Styles and Randy Orton" as inherently positive - Planet Stasiak got to be in segments with Steve Austin and The Rock, it didn't mean the company was behind him.

If you look at Sami's promos in NXT, he's the perfect underdog babyface, and the perfect fan surrogate. He's the heir apparent to Daniel Bryan in that role. Unless they're planning on turning him heel - which I doubt, and have no idea if he'd be any good at - you don't get a babyface over by having bigger name babyfaces, babyface authority figures and the announce team talk about how much they can't stand being around the guy.

God Jinder is bad. He is so bad. I was down on it when this first started but then shut the fuck up for a few weeks to see how it went and my god, he is just all around awful. Can't talk, can't work, can't emote. This is the most tiresome, tedious main event program in a long time.

I actually want to like Jinder in a "oh this is fresh and different type of way" but it's dreadful. And Randy just can't be arsed with any of this bollocks can he. Talk about phoning it in.

• Paid Members

I was never interested in the main event at Backlash but thought I'd give it a chance when it comes round. This weeks Smackdown confirms I won't be watching Orton vs Jinder. I'd like to like Jinder but he's just awful to watch in the ring and Orton needs a kick up the arse

• Paid Members

The Jinder push annoys me a bit for the fact it's come out of nowhere. That's just their current laziness in a nutshell. It irritates me because he's fucking rubbish and you get muppets suggesting that's alright because "it's fresh". Ugh. But what actually really gets my goat is that the mini-push itself has been well done. So if they pushed someone worth a damn in the same way, they'd make a star. Look at Luke Harper. Look at the fucking mess they make of that poor bastard and he's got all the ability in the world. Then they go and produce a consistent heel push with some clean wins and then a dirty one but over AJ Styles. And they give it to this bumbling fucktard.

1 hour ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

God Jinder is bad. He is so bad. I was down on it when this first started but then shut the fuck up for a few weeks to see how it went and my god, he is just all around awful. Can't talk, can't work, can't emote. This is the most tiresome, tedious main event program in a long time.

I actually want to like Jinder in a "oh this is fresh and different type of way" but it's dreadful. And Randy just can't be arsed with any of this bollocks can he. Talk about phoning it in.

I caught the first half hour of Smackdown before going to bed and this is the exact conclusion I came too. He is so bad, horrendous on the mic, not much better in the ring and what is that finisher? Didn't even feel like AJ could be arsed to drag a good match out of him.

On another note add Kevin Owens to the John Cena book of wrestlers who look bad in suits, looked like his mum had dressed him for his first ever job interview.

Also caught the Fashion Police skit, they are amazing. TBH they should have come down and tried to arrest Kevin Owens.

Mahal does suck but I wouldn't mind the push so much if we didn't get this Hassan-esque MYYY PEOPLLLE shit. 

Seems to be a rise in gratuitous patriotism on Smackdown these last few weeks, how long until JBL calls Nakamura Chinese? 

Episode firmly saved by those wonderful Sexy Cops. The fashion files segment was their best yet. "DAY ONE IS H!?". Absolutely amazing, adore both of them. The Usos promo was absolutely wicked again too. The tag titles and Naka's debut are what I'll be tuning into Backlash for

I thought Handsome Rusev was supposed to show up this week? Booooo 

• Paid Members

Yeah. Jinder really hasn't really done much with the opportunity he's received, which, while not unexpected, is disappointing. Rather than being another midcarder in the main event (like most of their main event full time sooooperstars), he's clearly a jabroni-level talent in the main event, having done almost no good work to elevate himself - apart from his glorious rock hard abs and weird 'roid tits, obvs.

It's hard not to remember this is the guy that was the Raw jobber a few weeks ago, when he's shown nothing.

Can't wait for Rusev to come back and show how it's done. Given anything, the boy usually does the job.

Archived