Smackdown Discussion Thread

My main issue is Styles wins a Triple threat to be US title number one contender thus eliminating himself from a potential WWE title match. An opportunity that was given to the two guys he beat instead?

Makes zero sense from a Kayfabe point of view? Why isn't Styles furious?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, JNLister said:

To be fair, the Holly title shot was below both the Raw title match and the Royal Rumble in both the running order on the night and the hype level. In theory at least, Jinder Mahal is the main event here.

Still remains to be seen, if the match is due to take place on a PPV, id be surprised if it goes on last. 

If Orton vs Mahal starts main eventing house shows then we'll know whether this is actually a push into the main event scene.  If the house shows over the next few weeks are Orton vs. Corbin or Ziggler or whoever and Mahal is having matches with Dillinger or Sin Cara or whoever, then that probably means this is just to keep Orton busy for a month until his next feud.

37 minutes ago, Wrasslin said:

My main issue is Styles wins a Triple threat to be US title number one contender thus eliminating himself from a potential WWE title match. An opportunity that was given to the two guys he beat instead?

Only Zayn was in the match, not Corbin, but I get what you are saying. I would guess the idea is that at least Styles has got a title match, which is more than Zayn and Corbin have managed to get.

• Paid Members

Not to mention that Styles is already the number 1 contender. He earned it after Orton said he didn't want it and then was screwed out of it at WM when he changed his mind. Him kicking fuck out of Orton is only logical.

Said last week that it made no sense at all that he wanted the US title.

Oh yeah I was ignoring all the pre Wrestlemania horseshit as that was just an inexcusable clusterfuck. I assume Owens isn't losing to Styles and I assume Owens isn't going over clean either. So (although I'm sure it'll be a cracking watch) it just seems a little pointless. 

It's a shame because Smackdown was being booked pretty logically for a while too. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Van Dammer said:

Still remains to be seen, if the match is due to take place on a PPV, id be surprised if it goes on last. 

It's scheduled for Backlash - the announcers were doing the whole "Jinder Mahal is headed to Backlash!" bit.

I could conceivably see Styles-Owens going on above it, but that would be a bold call to headline a PPV with the US Title with the WWE title underneath.

The only other way I could see them concluding a Smackdown-only PPV with anything else is if a) Cena comes back for it, or b) it ends up being not Smackdown-only due to some continued Superstar Shakeup screwiness, a la the upcoming Raw-only PPV being headlined by Smackdown's champion.

The only way I'll be able to take this Colon push is if Carlito comes back spitting apples again. 

Also forget Mike Bennett, put Maria with the Fashion Police 

Bennett is the absolute shits. Bland face and ring gear. He has less charisma than Jinder AND Tony Nese. And he also does that thing that I see a few Wrestlers do now, he wears what looks like a club 18-30 wristband, it's obviously some kind of charity thing but for fuck sake just respect the art and your character, wear it before and after but take the sodding thing off when you are on camera presenting Mike Bennett the heel. I'm sure I saw Orton doing it also, he wore one over his wrist tape, evil maniac and member of the Wyatt cult........in his fallen heroes wristband.

I'm also stunned that he's getting a title shot, but interested all the same. He's certainly improved in both his in-ring intensity (I'm sure Balor would agree) and his appearance, although the latter is certainly chemically assisted, in my opinion.

My guess is that he'll be back in the lower-midcard as soon as his piss comes back dirty, which is surely inevitable.

• Paid Members

I for one don't mind them throwing Jinder into a main event. It gives them someone new, keeps other matches fresh and potentially gives him an opportunity to stay up at the top. I understand the fuss, considering he's done nothing of note, but I'm very happy to give him a chance.

Of course, if its crap, I take it all back and he's not ready for the role etc.

Archived