Smackdown Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Does Nakamura have a kushty little contract when it comes to wrestling? Does he do house shows? He didn't wrestle often in NXT and three weeks after his call-up he's yet to have a match. Does he have a limited schedule or are they sensibly avoiding overexposure with him?

He's been in a dark match the last 3 weeks, so it's probably more just not wanting to have him wrestle on TV just yet.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Van Dammer said:

Kayfabe-wise, does Jinder not work? He was a jobber, he's gone away and locked himself in the gym for a few years and come back with a new attitude and mean streak. Is it not unreasonable for people to believe that somebody can improve themselves and can naturally get better by being stronger and fitter? As others have pointed out though, this was probably Rusev's spot and they badly need a proper heel challenger for old Randy.

Kayfabe wise, Jinder hasn't just come back stronger and fitter. He's been Rusev's jabroni mate on Raw for months and jobbed to a bloke who calls himself a Spaz last week. Otherwise, that might be a fair point.

56 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Kayfabe wise, Jinder hasn't just come back stronger and fitter. He's been Rusev's jabroni mate on Raw for months and jobbed to a bloke who calls himself a Spaz last week. Otherwise, that might be a fair point.

Outside interference. And WWE will be playing their 'long term memory loss' card on this one.

15 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Jinder vs Orton might be the new standard for me. Like RVD vs Mr Kennedy levels of not giving a fuck.

Its not even a Jinder thing. It's just if you want to get someone over with me, putting him with Orton is like not putting him on TV at all. Orton's got the opposite of the midas touch when it comes to World title reigns.

Are we allowed to mention that here yet?

It might just be that Jinder has worked hard and not just being pushed cos of his Indian background, think of it logically, they need to make new stars on Smackdown especially top heels, Jinder is similar to how JBL first got pushed and he was good in his role, don't hinder Jinder.

I'm optimistic about this Jinder thing, he looks the business, he gets heat, the crowd reacts to him, it'll help the B Boyz, they'll take some nice RKO's. It's blatant that they've grouped them with Jinder cos they are all Canadians. If it's a boost for the network in India that's an added bonus. I'd like to see him knock off Orton, it would be different. He's not the greatest wrestler in the world but he can hang. It would be more interesting then Orton as champ going forward. Although I reckon it's possible, seeing as it looks like they are elevating the US title to the main event on SD.

• Paid Members

Jinder last won a match on SmackDown in 2012 in a tag match. Pay attention to the fact in the 5 years since, he appeared on SmackDown and lost to a mini-luchador Bull in a one on one match.

There's no credibility to his character, in the past 6 weeks he's been punked out and knocked out by a Tight End in the NFL twice. They have new stars, could have easily put Corbin in as he hadn't been pinned the week before, pushed Tye Dillinger in and used his momentum and popularity, hell with New Day treading water until Kofi gets fit again, Big E could have come in and been a challenger, show why they've been the most dominant tag team in recent years but always with him as one of the two. 

I'm all for Jinder getting a push, but not straight into the main event having had one of the worst win-loss records in recent WWE history.

I realise this is a 180 on how happy I was, but I watched back Jinder vs El Torito and remembered just how badly the character has been handled for years to suddenly now be a main eventer.

EDIT: Just to go further, since January this year he's beaten Big Cass in a 2 on 1 Handicap match with Rusev, been on the winning side of an 8 man tag that had Braun Strowman, Sin Cara in February, Curtis Axel 3 times (though one appears to be a house show) and lost 34 house show and RAW/SmackDown tapings before being named Number 1 contender for the top title in the WWE. Even JBL's record before his title win wasn't this bad.

I think they've always had quite high hopes for Jinder to be fair. Did he not face Seth Rollins for the first NXT Title? Obviously the timing's right for them to capitalise on the Indian market and he'll be a genuine heat machine.

It's not gonna be as serious as people are making out. Hardcore Holly had a world title shot years ago and that didn't cause all this debate. It's just one of those rare opportunities where a new face gets a title shot to keep fans interested rather than seeing the same opponents constantly. I don't care at all for Mahal but I just know that once that match is over with he'll fade away to the lower ranks and won't be mentioned again. Then again, Swagger and Ziggler have both won the title, so you never know how it may end up..

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, big7thletter said:

It's not gonna be as serious as people are making out. Hardcore Holly had a world title shot years ago and that didn't cause all this debate.

It bloody did, I remember the internet exploded with rage at the time! Then a few months later JBL won the title, and a monumental meltdown ensued.

• Paid Members

To be fair, the Holly title shot was below both the Raw title match and the Royal Rumble in both the running order on the night and the hype level. In theory at least, Jinder Mahal is the main event here.

Archived