The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

The direction is what people wanted for a long time. Long TV matches. Less talking, more action. Fewer gimmick matches. Less stupid skits. No bulked up roid-heads. WWE today is what the fantasy booking of yesterday asked for.

Now having been away until a little over a year ago I'm not sure whether that really is what people were asking for, but it certainly doesn't seem to be what most of the "IWC" want, at least from the forums I frequent.

They want consistent characters, storylines that actually go somewhere and make sense, and that aren't burned through in weeks when they should take months.. They want heels to do dastardly things, and babyfaces to do heroic things, and they want wrestlers to cut promos that aren't scripted to within an inch of their lives. They want unpredictability in matches - a finish from something other than a finisher - and a variety of match finishes, so that they don't all end with a distraction schoolboy. They want strong champions and strong contenders, not 50/50 booking making everyone a mid-carder. Yes, they want good matches but nobody wants EVOLVE.

What they want is what has served wrestling well for the huge majority of its existence and they're not getting it because the writing staff at WWE don't seem to know about that stuff or seem determined to do their own thing.

Anybody think this is the start of mainstream wrestling entering the absolute doldrums again like in the early-mid 90's where WWF was taping Raw in high school gyms and WCW was drawing 800 people to house shows?
TNA's in the absolute shitter and WWE is slowly seeing their ratings decline with no real mainstream star that can permanently turn things around.

• Paid Members

The direction is what people wanted for a long time. Long TV matches. Less talking, more action. Fewer gimmick matches. Less stupid skits. No bulked up roid-heads. WWE today is what the fantasy booking of yesterday asked for.

Now having been away until a little over a year ago I'm not sure whether that really is what people were asking for, but it certainly doesn't seem to be what most of the "IWC" want, at least from the forums I frequent.

There have been a million posts, blogs and articles down the years asking for just that. lead by your Fin Martins and Wade Kellers and the caricatures who write for a living. As much as Pitcos can be an arse, he doesn't just make this stuff up. It's what plenty in the "IWC" (and on here once upon a time) all used to cry out for when post-WCW WWE was shit (though not as shit as it is now).

They want consistent characters, storylines that actually go somewhere and make sense, and that aren't burned through in weeks when they should take months.. They want heels to do dastardly things, and babyfaces to do heroic things, and they want wrestlers to cut promos that aren't scripted to within an inch of their lives. They want unpredictability in matches - a finish from something other than a finisher - and a variety of match finishes, so that they don't all end with a distraction schoolboy. They want strong champions and strong contenders, not 50/50 booking making everyone a mid-carder. Yes, they want good matches but nobody wants EVOLVE.

What they want is what has served wrestling well for the huge majority of its existence and they're not getting it because the writing staff at WWE don't seem to know about that stuff or seem determined to do their own thing.

Sounds like that's what you want. Because miserable old fucker though you may be - you are a very smart guy. It's what I want too. And perhaps what many want now they've seen how shit the vision is in reality.

• Paid Members

To cut the creative team some slack it must be difficult to work with a group where only one or two are capable of cutting a decent promo.

Swings and roundabouts. What they write is fucking shit. It's hard to tell who can't cut a promo and who can't cut a promo with conviction from a terrible script while doing the standard pause thing and smiling or grimacing throughout to show whether they are a face or a heel. Or in the case of Seth Rollins, both at the same time.

They'll do what they always do when ratings take a slide, rush Cena back. Long term I don't have any faith in WWE to change, or to even realize they need to change!

Personally I'd fuck the Authority off TV and try to cut Raw down to two hours straight away, and have Reigns batter through Sheamus at TLC for the title. But after that who do you program Reigns with in the short term and then at Mania? no depth at all to the roster. Maybe a heel Ambrose short term, but that's not going to spike any ratings unless they go all out with character work, vignettes etc with Ambrose once he turns. If you have Reigns win vs Lesnar at Mania, the crowd will shit all over him. 

Edited by DCW

• Paid Members

I've pretty much given up. Which is a shame given the talent they have. I'd honestly bring Russo in for a go, I've lost the will.

Russo would be fucked trying to come up with ideas under a PG format.

Russo being fucked would probably be his suggestion for the opening segment of Raw, followed by reigns turning heel in hour two and face again in hour 3

Isn't the trend for long boring matches on Raw more of a result of having 3 hours to fill and the general lazy as fuck attitude WWE creative seems to have these days? Rather than giving internet virgin geeks what they want or whatever?

It's easier to just write Paige and Charlotte have a 15 minute match than come up with some skits and vignettes  for them for example,

Its all Vince McMahon's fault. The writers dont write to please the audience. They write to please Vince.

This pretty much.

Saying that though I don't believe that Triple H is the great saviour people make him out to be either and even without Vince you would still have Stephanie's ego running wild.

Hunter's claim to fame is NXT. As for Raw he's done fuck all to improve it.

Shows how much I've paid attention. I still thought Stephanie ran creative.

Is this the point someone tells me he's been running it for a year and a half? Lol

Edited by uklaw

Hunter's claim to fame is NXT. As for Raw he's done fuck all to improve it.

Shows how much I've paid attention. I still thought Stephanie ran creative.

Is this the point someone tells me he's been running it for a year and a half? Lol

He's been head of creative for two years. But the head of creative job has only ever really been just a middleman between Vince and the writers -- the whole "STEPHANIE HAS RUINED WRESTLING" thing came partly out of misogyny and partly out of her having arguments with Paul Heyman back when people's parents first got broadband.

It's when Vince dies/retires and Hunter gets real power that we'll see the true test of how good he is. What Triple H has shown is that he can be Paul Heyman and use Vince McMahon's money to put on a wrestling product that's well-received on forums. He knows who NXT is for and it's ultimately somewhat easy to please that audience if that's all you're trying to do. He may not have a clue what to do with Monday Night Raw, though. Raw only has about a dozen highlights a year these days, and two or three of them are Triple H doing snipey in-jokes trolling the same people he has sending him gift baskets after NXT specials.

As rick says, wrestling now does have a "careful what you wished for, virgins" element to it, but that's not because that's their intention. It's because they're so lost and bereft that they've got no better ideas. And it's a perfect example of why you shouldn't give people what they say they want, because when you do, they won't like it and they'll decide they want something else. People will love Dean Ambrose doing a promo where he goes "I want more action, less talking" as though he's posting on OOWrestling in 2005, yet that promo where he's talking is much more interesting to watch than the action he does in a meaningless tag match on the same show a week later.

The current generation of wrestlers were fans (or got into the business) during the "we hate talking and storylines and gimmicks, LET WRESTLERS WRESTLE" era online, so the roster itself is more geared to the dreariness of the current product. It's not like the old days, where every wrestler was just a big failed football player working the doors who got spotted by someone in the biz, then learned to cynically work the marks and make money at stupid fake gay wrestling. You don't get that anymore. Tyler Breeze isn't going round all insecure that he performs in lycra, nipping into bars after the shows so he can break fans' thumbs to prove he's not a queer. They're all massive fans who loved the attitude era, then grew up reading Meltzer and Keller and absorbed those opinions. Who comes into wrestling now without family ties or childhood dreams to do it? Baron Corbin and Mojo Rawley? And that sort end up in a shitty position where the developmental system is even more geared to the Meltzer style than the main roster, so they're even further behind.

A lot of people's favourite year of WWF is 1997. Nearly everything that year on screen was an accident resulting from Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels being bratty children. Roman Reigns and Rusev aren't going to get in hair-pulling fights because they insulted each other in promos. Dean Ambrose and Kevin Owens aren't storming out of the building before the show starts because they've found out they're losing. CM Punk reckoned him and John Cena were the only ones who'd ever go crying to get creative changed. At least Bret and Shawn knew WCW was there. Dolph Ziggler can moan on Twitter all he likes, but there's no authenticity to it -- if he leaves, he's signing on on Wednesday afternoons and wrestling indies on Fridays and Saturdays. He's got no power.

The popularity of the attitude era and the death of WCW fucked it all.

Edited by King Pitcos