The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

To be honest I think Road Dogg took the piss with the way he responded to a fan with "Maybe you should go and watch something else then, but you'll be back". That's a shit attitude. If Dogg wasn't working as an agent right now he would've been one of the first guys to criticize the product. 

How to fix RAW?

Give it a new logo. With the exception of the end of the "w" in RAW going over the top of the word, it's practically the same design they've had for the past decade. Would it make a huge difference? No probably not but it's a start.

Get rid of the three man commentary team, it's never really worked for WWE, get it to a two man team and unless it's really good like JR and King, change it every couple of years. And ensure they stick to the product. Nothing worse than halfway through a match them going off about twitter or trying to explain a JBL joke. Also calm down on the amount of other non-WWE advertising they do. People aren't watching wrestling for mountain dew or k-mart.

Pack it in with stupid phrases that mean nothing like "season premier" when it's the middle of October and the WWE "year" starts the night after WrestleMania. If there is a "season premier" of RAW, surely it's that one?

Knock a writing staff of however many they've got now down to two or three for each show, also give them less time to write for by knocking it back to two hours. And in those two hours, leave off half as many adverts as they've got now. One thing that turns me off from watching it (I do tend to watch RAW live) is the adverts but I know that's not gonna change. 

Allow wrestlers to be creative themselves. Scripted work is fine, it gives them something to go off. But at the same time allow them the ability to ad-lib when they're actually delivering whatever it is they're saying. Off the cuff stuff doesn't always work, you can just go off on one at never get to the point so there has to be a guideline.

Utilise your roster. If wrestler a and wrestler b are feuding, it doesn't mean they need to be in the same match every single week because by the time the pay-per-view comes around we've already seen those two go at it six or seven times so what's the point? 

Bring back a "fun" championship. A highlight of the Monday Night Wars were the Cruiserweights in WCW and the Hardcore division of WWE. Those sort of fast paced, high spots action really gets a crowd into it. There doesn't even have to be a story for those matches to hook fans in. Any random fella can challenge for the title and usually the fans will enjoy it. It's a meaningful match that isn't so one dimensional.

Add a bit of colour to your wrestler's attire. You're WWE champ is a fella who wrestles in black trunks (backed up by two fellas wrestling in black trunks and their country's colours somewhere on them) - his opponent is a fella who wrestles in a black vest and black kecks, your IC champ is a fella who wrestles in a black t-shirt and black shorts - his opponent wrestles in a black t-shirt and dark blue jeans, your US champ is a fella who wrestles in black trunks - his opponent wrestles in a black singlet (unless he reverts back to the old blue one). Black trunks can work (Rock, Austin, Triple H being obvious examples) but when it's the same up and down the entire card, it can't half get boring.

Explain to the viewers why things are happening. Do we know why Stardust and the Ascension have joined up? Do we know why Rusev is helping Sheamus other than the fact that they were put in some random six man tag about three months ago? 

Allow for wrestlers to have more than one feud at a time. Ambrose has pinned Breeze twice now on RAW, allow them two to have animosity with each other as well as with Ownes and Ziggler. 

And finally, tell Vince McMahon that he either changes his ways or he fucks off because his running of the company at present isn't good enough.

Foley's had a whinge about WWE on his Facebook again, and has managed to keep up his record of everything he says basically being about his wank fodder:

I'm going to quote an article from July, 2014, called "The Sad Case Of Zack Ryder" in which I wrote: "Eventually, people get tired of finding out that the WWE Superstars they have supported with their cheers, their signs, their purchases, their follows, and their likes aren't real Superstars - and, little by little, those fans lose interest in WWE, find other interests, and become former WWE fans." I am one of those people on the verge of becoming a former WWE fan. I'm tired of being told through Raw, Smackdown and PPV's that WWE superstars I have rooted for - from Ziggler to Cesaro to Kevin Owens aren't top stars - no matter how strongly crowd reaction seems to disagree. I'm tired of NXT stars getting their big "break" in WWE, just to be treated like jokes. Six months ago, my son and I traveled 12 hours – from Eastern Tennessee to Orlando, Florida to watch Sasha Banks wrestle Becky Lynch at #NXTTakeover.- One of the greatest women's matches of all time. Last night, in what I believe was their first singles match on #RAW Sasha and Becky were given four minutes. At a time when WWE desperately needs to make new stars – when they need to give wrestlers with talent the opportunity to break through – they gave Sasha and Becky four minutes. I turned the channel, and watched a pretty good football game instead. I think I can get used to watching football games on Monday night again. I will be watching RAW this Monday. Maybe, as is often the case in relationships, they will give me just enough to remind me why I love wrestling - just enough to keep me coming back. Maybe they will even give Sasha and Becky a rematch – and a legitimate chance to show the world what they can do. . There is an old saying in politics : as Ohio goes, so goes the nation. Think of me as the Ohio of wrestling fans. If I leave, it's not just one disgruntled former fan; finding something else to do on Monday nights. Instead, my leaving might well be an indication of a larger exodus from WWE.

Please, WWE, please - give me a reason to stay.

Things aren't too far gone, wrestling fans are forgiving as fuck. All they have to do is put out good shows. If Kofi Kingston can go from fast forward material his entire career to part of the act people look forward to then it's possible for anyone.

Look at Bad Influence over in TNA. Both boring as fuck and just transformed themselves into a super over act. A year of solid booking and there's no reason most the roster could be over

Edited by UK Kat Von D

Things aren't too far gone, wrestling fans are forgiving as fuck. All they have to do is put out good shows. If Kofi Kingston can go from fast forward material his entire career to part of the act people look forward to then it's possible for anyone.

Look at Bad Influence over in TNA. Both boring as fuck and just transformed themselves into a super over act. A year of solid booking and there's no reason most the roster could be over

Super over in what way? Not in ratings or PPV buys or anything important.

And I say that as a fan of them.

And yeah Kofi is great now, but the problem is he's gone from being a boring part of a show watched by like 4 or 5 million to a great part of a show watched by 2 or so million. And in a short space of time.

I just wish they'd go back to the basics we all fell in love with. We've went from wrestling to "sports entertainment" which I can understand but it's gone beyond that now. To a point where wins and losses don't matter, characters just exist. They have no depth or purpose so when they fight does it even matter anyway!?

It's so frustrating because as we all know they have a ridiculously talented roster right now who are shackled with boundaries, restrictions and scripts written but people who just don't understand the concept.

Going back to 2 hours for Raw would be the first thing I'd do too. Advert breaks during matches.. absolute lunacy.

I haven't watched a full raw in about a year, and that made the decision to cancel sky sports much easier when I did. In a Few weeks I won't be able to. Eventually shows we watch don't do anything for us, and I've reached this point with raw. Nxt will be my weekly fix going forwards until that gets screwed up too

Edited by Louch

How do we solve the problem of the current product? It looks like WWE are going to misstep, sleepwalk and parity-book their way to Wrestlemania 32, which I believe could have a larger crowd capacity than most of the Wrestlemania's in recent years. There's only so long before it simply 'being WWE/Wrestlemania' isn't enough to get people excited or to attend.

Very few people are resonating with the wider audience, in my view. And those from a wrestling background don't appear to be in a position to help translate an idea or intention to the ring/interview area in a meaningful way. At least on RAW & Smackdown.

Hypothesis: If I could make a suggestion to those in the company it would be get Paul Heyman, Dutch and anyone else with wrestling experience who has steered a product with some success, who is part of the company, lock them in a room with Vince, Stephanie and Triple H and say " tell us who's winning the Rumble, show us your Wrestlemania card now and let us brainstorm ideas as to how to get there".

Is it possible to say that more in the roster would be over and positioned stronger going into Mania? That there would be more interest in the product rather than just tuning in because it's Wrestlemania?

Easier said than done. Stubborn as Vince is, you're right in some way, but they clearly don't listen.

I do subscribe in the thought that take Vince and Dunn out of the equation, I do believe the product can be rebuilt structurally somehow. Hunter and Steph won't churn out this utter mess. They (Vince) just doesn't allow any character development to be properly showcased on tv the way we know the roster can. A record low rating this week with the audience shitting on this product from the company's wrongdoing, AGAIN

They keep holding off on Reigns to the point that if he isn't holding the title coming out of TLC, and given a phoney finish then I think they really are in big trouble with him. If im reading correctly, and I see what they are trying to do having "the chase" to get the fans to buy into him is completely stupid for this whole build up since Seth went away. I'm probably more excited to see them flop one too many times, where come Wrestlemania, he'd have fucked up his plan on Roman being the next star, and by then, only realise they need to turn him heel!

Alternatively, it's a gauntlet all the way to Mania unfortunately and the reaction could be intriguing perhaps on the minds of a large audience.

I wonder if at any point USA Network would step in. How low a rating would it have to get to for the network to force a change to the format? Interesting to see what the money breakdown on the deal is.

Anyone predict Ambrose and Owens going into Raw jobbing with Ziggler and Breeze with all due respect? No, me bloody neither!

Edited by undercover elephant

I think Raw would be better if they had more matches with stipulations, like cage match, table, hardcore etc. It wasn't that many years ago Raw featured TLC matches...I'm not saying every show needs to feature these kind of matches but a sprinkling over the months just adds a little flavour to shows. Also for me I'd like more nostalgia with appearances from legends from the past even if its to give a rub to a current superstar but with that said WWE shouldn't have to rely on bringing back stars from the past to boost ratings but if done for the right reasons to put over the current roster then I see no problems. They should have totally had Ric Flair as a manager of somebody like Dolph Ziggler just to give him some star power. WWE really needs to be more edgy as well and more controversial and stop trying to be so main stream, its like Eric Bischoff said controversy creates cash.

I'd also put somebody with a wrestling background as head of the writing team like Paul Heyman or as already been mentioned Vince Russo, it certainly wouldn't harm to give it ago if WWE feels comfortable giving the Rock the main event at WrestleMania I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem kicking some snotty 20 year old out of the writing team and replacing them with somebody with actual creative talent.

WCW had to go through various bookers in the late 80's early, 90's before they found their feet with Bischoff and became an over night sensation.

The problem with reducing the content is the money they would lose and of course refuse to do so.

Is Main Event on TV now or is it just the 5 hours of RAW and SD?

I would love to cut the third hour of RAW out because PPV's shouldnt be the same length or shorter than your weekly TV

I'd love to chuck smackdown and just have RAW and a B/C show

If you have to keep smackdown decide on 1 or 2 storylines that have their big moments on the blue show rather than just the little filler bits like it is now

But thats a problem there's usually only 1 or 2 storylines full stop nowadays, they really need to be pushing 6-10 storylines that can overlap now. With a writing team so big I dont understand how plots can be so weak

My main question was, what can they do with a 3rd hour if they can cut it. It needs to be as must see as Raw but without being a drag.

Do you try to show DVD style documentaries and previews of network content?- Would showing Breaking Ground a week later draw?

Do you do something with 2- 30 minute slots bookending raw?

Could stand alone event type things work like tournaments, a cruiser show etc

Stick NXT on as the final hour?

How about producing something more real like breaking ground on the main roster?

The problem with reducing the content is the money they would lose and of course refuse to do so.

Is Main Event on TV now or is it just the 5 hours of RAW and SD?

I would love to cut the third hour of RAW out because PPV's shouldnt be the same length or shorter than your weekly TV

I'd love to chuck smackdown and just have RAW and a B/C show

If you have to keep smackdown decide on 1 or 2 storylines that have their big moments on the blue show rather than just the little filler bits like it is now

But thats a problem there's usually only 1 or 2 storylines full stop nowadays, they really need to be pushing 6-10 storylines that can overlap now. With a writing team so big I dont understand how plots can be so weak

My main question was, what can they do with a 3rd hour if they can cut it. It needs to be as must see as Raw but without being a drag.

Do you try to show DVD style documentaries and previews of network content?- Would showing Breaking Ground a week later draw?

Do you do something with 2- 30 minute slots bookending raw?

Could stand alone event type things work like tournaments, a cruiser show etc

Stick NXT on as the final hour?

How about producing something more real like breaking ground on the main roster?