DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I watched that "In Search of the Last Action Heroes" documentary. Its amazing. Right up @Devon Malcolm's alley. Seeing all those movies, from Terminator to ones you nobody talks about like 48 hours of all things profiled all in a row makes you want to watch every single one of them all over again. Which I might just do. Cant recommend it enough.

I was a bit disappointed in the horror one they did but this one sounds a bit more thorough and fun.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I was a bit disappointed in the horror one they did but this one sounds a bit more thorough and fun.

Difference between this and that one is that the horror one seemed to be made by Peter Kay. It was all "remember this? Remember Friday t'13th? That was a good film wasnt it?" Where as this profiles the movies, talks about the soundtracks of the genres, the studios themselves, the importance of the VHS boom, Stallone vs Arnie, kids interest in it and loads of other cool just. And action films are way more interesting to go back and look at than horror, for me. Well worth a watch and way better than that horror one. The fact that the doc was made by a British lad in his 30s should tell you all you need to know about it. Its very much a love letter to the fans of the movies.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Watched it tonight.  Loads of information plus talking heads adding slot of insight.  Stan Bush even pops up and talks about TFTM. It's quite long and comprehensive with it. Very enjoyable. 

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I'm sorted for something to watch tonight now with that documentary. What is the horror one you guys mentioned? 

In Search of Darkness.

• Members

Heat

It still lives up to its acclaim, although I found it dragged a little compared to say, The Irishman which zipped by.

A superb cast and a cracking score and Robert De Niro remains my favourite actor of all time, but Al Pacino is at his ridiculous best here and steals it.

All day I’ve been cracking up at the thought of him shouting “Cos she got a GREAT AAAAAASSSSS” and I’m having a coffee waiting for my youngest to finish gymnastics laughing on my own. Such a superb moment. I want to see the takes that didn’t make it.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah I’ve heard that, it’s good. I couldn’t give a fuck about the Oscars and neither should anyone else ?

My boss loathes Suicide Squad with a vengeance, so now and then I bring it up and refer to it as 'academy award winning film Suicide Squad'. 

• Paid Members

I watched Heat again a couple of nights back and its superb. I've always maintained that the famous shoot out should have been cut because it gets bang in the way of the narrative and you could achieve everything that happens in it within seconds. Having said that it absolutely is acracking action scene.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

No way. It could absolutely stand on the strength of the narrative but it's undeniably a bit better because of the shootout. I'm gonna watch it again this weekend, it's been years.

I concede I'm in the tiny minority but I stand by it. No question it's a great bit of action though.