DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Eye for an Eye

This Spanish thriller just popped up on Netflix with no fanfare but it's superb. They'll do better than, Uncut Gems aside, to manage a better Original this year. Luis Tosar is a superb actor. The ending is quite something.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

After reading someone's discussion thread on Twitter, I decided to rewatch Threads and now I remember why I hadn't watched it since the first time. I need a MIB style memory wipe. Terrible decision. I'm so depressed right now.

There aren't many things I'd actively avoid watching again but I think that's right up there now.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

After reading someone's discussion thread on Twitter, I decided to rewatch Threads and now I remember why I hadn't watched it since the first time. I need a MIB style memory wipe. Terrible decision. I'm so depressed right now.

There aren't many things I'd actively avoid watching again but I think that's right up there now.

I honestly beleive Threads is the most terrifying piece of film making I have ever seen. We first had to watch it at school in English and it scared me shitless. Even to this day, every time I see military planes flying over head, I get flash backs to the scene where they are flying over Sheffield and no-one has any idea what is actually happening.

I think living so close to where it is set made it even more scary to us, too.

• Paid Members

The Big Heat (1953)

Glenn Ford plays a take no shit cop, determined to stop at nothing to bring down the bad guys. He's damn bloody good at it too, the intensity is pouring out of him. Lee Marvin is a horrible, weasel of a man. He really could be an incredible baddie. The film I always associate him with most is The Dirty Dozen, but it's as a villain that I think he shines the most. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

The Big Heat (1953)

Glenn Ford plays a take no shit cop, determined to stop at nothing to bring down the bad guys. He's damn bloody good at it too, the intensity is pouring out of him. Lee Marvin is a horrible, weasel of a man. He really could be an incredible baddie. The film I always associate him with most is The Dirty Dozen, but it's as a villain that I think he shines the most. 

You should watch Bad Day at Black Rock, Marvin is an even better villain in it. Love this film though.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

You should watch Bad Day at Black Rock, Marvin is an even better villain in it. Love this film though.

Cheers man, I'll keep my eyes open for that one. I just looked it up there and what a cast it has. Tracy, Borgnine, Robert Ryan and Lee Marvin? Lovely stuff. I could watch Ernest and his crazy eyebrows all day. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WeeAl said:

Cheers man, I'll keep my eyes open for that one. I just looked it up there and what a cast it has. Tracy, Borgnine, Robert Ryan and Lee Marvin? Lovely stuff. I could watch Ernest and his crazy eyebrows all day. 

It does the rounds on TCM quite regularly, I think. It's a revisionist western before they were even a thing. One of the greatest films ever made.

Marriage Story. Can Adam Driver be in everything please? Johansson is brilliant but Driver get's the meatier part and he was spectacular. It feels like every single minute thing he does is telling you something about him or the scene that's playing out. 

Joker

Not the cinematic masterpiece that some are saying it is - I'm presuming they're the same people that voted The Dark Knight the greatest movie ever on IMDB - but highly enjoyable with a great turn from Joaquin. He really is something special. 

I'd like to see more "realistic" c***c b**k movies in the vein of this and Logan.

All in all, better than The Hangover II & III but could have done with a Frank The Tank cameo.

• Paid Members

Threads is one of my "favourite" things ever televised, in that I just admire the hell out of it, and am slightly obsessed with it, but just never, ever want to actually watch it again.

Yesterday I finally got around to watching Fighting With My Family on Netflix, and mostly enjoyed it. Tried to put aside most of the "wrestling" criticisms of it, in how it added a few stock characters, and compressed and messed with the timeline in order to make a smoother narrative, and tried not to get too distracted playing Spot The BritWres (though Jody Fleisch popping up was a surprise). I wasn't really a fan of The Rock as a bit of a deus ex machina, or how the timeline used made it seem like Paige basically passed a try-out then all but immediately got called up to the main roster, or made it seem that before NXT she'd basically only ever wrestled against her own family, but I understand all of those as creative choices, and tried to put that to the back of my mind. It was good fun, and Nick Frost & Lena Headey were great value for money as Ricky & Saraya, and Jack Lowden put in a great performance as Zak.

My only real criticism, narrative-wise, is that the three other girls coming through NXT with Paige don't really get anything more than a cursory amount of character development, yet they still try and do a bit of a "have their cake and eat it too" job with them. You have Paige & Saraya talk about how WWE normally only hires swimsuit models and cheerleaders, in order to establish Paige as breaking from the norm, but then establish that they aren't just models and cheerleaders but have their own dreams and aspirations and goals....but the plot still requires them to be generic swimsuit models and cheerleaders for Paige to stand out next to.

Only just seen 1917. 

Almost felt like the anti-Joker to me.

While I'll remember Joker for the main performance and not much else, I'll remember 1917 for the visuals and cinematic experience and not much else. Both films are really strong efforts but neither really excels as an overall package.