DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Uncut Gems

Yeah, fair play, Adam Sandler is great in this. It kind of makes his most recent stuff look even worse (if that's possible) knowing that he's still capable of this kind of performance. I was on Sicario-level of edge of my seat for the last 15 minutes or so.

Although Sandler's false teeth got very off putting after a while.

Edited by wordsfromlee

The Distinguished Citizen

Argentinian comedy about a Nobel Prize winning author who travels back to his hometown, and becomes more and more exasperated with the town that he grew up in. Becomes quite dark, and is well worth watching

All The Freckles In The World

Mexican comedy based around the 1994 World Cup (LETCHKOV! ALDRIDGE!) and sees Jose Miguel fall in love after moving to a private school (class conscious alert) , and to be honest, whilst it's sometimes a bit lazy 'adolescent growing up' genre, it's well written and easy going

Teen Spirit

Elle Fanning plays a Isle of Wight based Polish girl who has desires of making it big as a singer. This starts off really strong, and tails off a bit when she enters the Teen Spirit competition (basically X Factor), and there are a few too many song performances, but Fanning is absolutely excellent in this. Really strong performance. Good synthy-pop soundtrack too. 10yo daughter recommended.

House Party

Still really funny. "Oh yeah, well I guess we would smell like pussy to a BUNCH OF DICKS"

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

I threw on John Wick 2 on Saturday as I suppose I should catch up on those sequels that everyone seems to love.

Fun stuff, although the Gun-Kata gets a bit boring after a while. Keanu is great, and the scenes where Wick is getting set-up were tremendously entertaining. The supporting cast were all lovely as well.

I'm not a fan of the stylized subtitles though, at all. A bit wanky for my tastes. Talking of subtitles, I had to put on the English CCs because everyone was fucking mumbling their lines, which seems to be a emerging habit in modern TV/movies. *oldmanyellsatcloud.jpeg*.

Still, a jolly good time that got me lubed up for number 3, which I'll probably watch in 2023 at this rate.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Fun stuff, although the Gun-Kata gets a bit boring after a while.

That reminds me: I really need to re-watch Equilibrium. Such a fun film.

• Paid Members
On 1/8/2020 at 8:35 PM, johnnyboy said:

Little Women

May have seen my favourite film of 2020 already.  I didn't mind the way it altered the structure of the book to make it more filmic.  Gorgeous.

I saw this yesterday and was impressed. It's beautifully made, and Saoirse Ronan and Florence Pugh are fantastic in it.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I threw on John Wick 2 on Saturday as I suppose I should catch up on those sequels that everyone seems to love.

Fun stuff, although the Gun-Kata gets a bit boring after a while. Keanu is great, and the scenes where Wick is getting set-up were tremendously entertaining. The supporting cast were all lovely as well.

I'm not a fan of the stylized subtitles though, at all. A bit wanky for my tastes. Talking of subtitles, I had to put on the English CCs because everyone was fucking mumbling their lines, which seems to be a emerging habit in modern TV/movies. *oldmanyellsatcloud.jpeg*.

Still, a jolly good time that got me lubed up for number 3, which I'll probably watch in 2023 at this rate.

John Wick 3 - It's just been added to Netflix and I think the best of the lot personally. I thought the 2nd was not quite as much fun as the first, even though it looks fantastic

Coming To America. I've seen that many clips of it over the years I'm surprised it's taken me til now to watch this in full. One of those films I've put off watching incase it didn't live up to the hype but my god this is marvellous. Genuine belly laughs in at least a dozen places, some brilliant character work from Eddie Murphy but Arsenio Hall steals this for me. Brilliant stuff.

Jay And Silent Bob Reboot. I know, I know. Stuck this on because there was nothing else and more than prepared myself for it to be shite, which it is. But it still tugged at the old nostalgic heartstrings of watching Kevin Smith's films twenty+ years ago when I didn't cringe at them. At it's core it's a film about fatherhood dressed up in shit acting and cock jokes.with a genuinely sweet cameo and monologue from Afleck.

A Quiet Place. Second time viewing this and somehow felt even more tense. Not sure how the sequel will be in comparison but this is easily one of my favourite modern horrors.

I watched most of Jay and Silent Bob Reboot over about four sittings, because it’s so rubbish I kept losing interest. Every performance was crap, which was about what the script deserved. I just gave up somewhere in act three. Jason Mewes is really difficult to look at nowadays.

26 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

I watched most of Jay and Silent Bob Reboot over about four sittings, because it’s so rubbish I kept losing interest. Every performance was crap, which was about what the script deserved. I just gave up somewhere in act three. Jason Mewes is really difficult to look at nowadays.

His teeth are really distracting now. As garbage as that film is it's just nice to see Jason Lee from time to time.