https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/5yvz2w/looking_at_intellectual_property_clauses_in/

Interesting thread on Reddit. Regarding IP laws in wrasslin'.

Intesresting read and it basically confirms what some of us know. Legally, Anthem hold all the cards. A fact the others parties obviously know, otherwise ROH would not have junked the Broken Gimmick on the PPV. Dish Network dropping the event at the 11th hour was unfortunate and will reflect badly on Anthem/Impact in the court of public opinion- a phrase I used in my previous post and a phrase used in this blog post by Jason Powell.

http://prowrestling.net/site/2017/03/11/powells-blog-f-tna/

And this is Jason Powell, who more than some of the others, was fair to TNA, barren years, stuff ups and all.

I genuinely think this 'bad guy and spoiler of pro wrestling' role Anthem have been cast as over the past day or so will reflect negatively on the coverage Impact shows and events receive going forward, even if (as spoilers suggest) the product gets better in this period of moving the chess pieces.

It seems whatever the name, the good on-screen is offset by something off-screen that clouds everything. Last year, it was the best, most consistently written product since 2012, in my view, that many can't recall due to the behind the scenes stuff.

And the next 4-5 weeks of what could be better television than Thursday will be likely ignored or subject to negative comments about the company. If you see a door with a dodgy lock and you respond by simply painting it a different colour, the lock is still dodgy.

Edited by uklaw

• Paid Members

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/5yvz2w/looking_at_intellectual_property_clauses_in/

Intesresting read and it basically confirms what some of us know. Legally, Anthem hold all the cards. A fact the others parties obviously know, otherwise ROH would not have junked the Broken Gimmick on the PPV. Dish Network dropping the event at the 11th hour was unfortunate and will reflect badly on Anthem/Impact in the court of public opinion- a phrase I used in my previous post and a phrase used in this blog post by Jason Powell.

And this is Jason Powell, who more than some of the others, was fair to TNA, barren years, stuff ups and all.

I genuinely think this 'bad guy and spoiler of pro wrestling' role Anthem have been cast as over the past day or so will reflect negatively on the coverage Impact shows and events receive going forward, even if (as spoilers suggest) the product gets better in this period of moving the chess pieces.

It seems whatever the name, the good on-screen is offset by something off-screen that clouds everything. Last year, it was the best, most consistently written product since 2012, in my view, that many can't recall due to the behind the scenes stuff.

And the next 4-5 weeks of what could be better television than Thursday will be likely ignored or subject to negative comments about the company. If you see a door with a dodgy lock and you respond by simply painting it a different colour, the lock is still dodgy.

Where was the f**k LU blog when they tried to get the Expedition of Gold stuff pulled over a referee?

Wheres the fuck AAA blog with what they are doing to Pentagon/Fenix/Daga? (trademarking every name they come up with and threatening every indy they work)

WHere was the fuck WWE with the whole Rhodes thing?

Its because its TNA and Reby stupidly mouthing off on social media. Legally TNA hold all the cards as you say. Wrestling is a carny and petty business. I don't think Anthem care.

Edited by Psygnosis

• Paid Members

I thought the show was decent enough it certainly looks a lot better back in 21 better lit and a much improved set

The crowd was still very quiet for supposedly 1,000+ people though.

They covered this on the Konnan podcast. Shane Helms has been saying for ages that the sound doesn't translate to TV. Konnan (who worked the tapings) said he was surprised at how loud the building was and puts the lack of crowd noise on TV down to bad mic'ing/sound mix. They need to rectify that.

Can someone clear up for me, I thought impact wrestling and ROH were now under the same overall parent company. Guessing I'm wrong going by what's going on, but is there a clear way to explain it?

• Paid Members

Where was the f**k LU blog when they tried to get the Expedition of Gold stuff pulled over a referee?

Wheres the fuck AAA blog with what they are doing to Pentagon/Fenix/Daga? (trademarking every name they come up with and threatening every indy they work)

Its because its TNA and Reby stupidly mouthing off on social media. Legally TNA hold all the cards as you say. Wrestling is a carny and petty business. I don't think Anthem care.

You're right in many ways. Rightly or wrongly, I think there is a tendency for the IWC to jump on anything negative TNA/Impact does. I don't think there would be the same level of uproar had an ROH wrestler made the jump to TNA under similar circumstances.

That said, and knowing that to be the case, I think it would be best for TNA to just be the better man and let this one slide. They're in a can't win situation really, and I think everyone knows that Matt and Jeff probably did go above and beyond the call of duty to develop the gimmick while the company was in flux.

Can someone clear up for me, I thought impact wrestling and ROH were now under the same overall parent company. Guessing I'm wrong going by what's going on, but is there a clear way to explain it?

RoH is owned by the Sinclair Broadcasting Group. Impact Wrestling is owned by Anthem Sports. They're not owned by the same people.

Two totally separate companies - Anthem and Sinclair. Anthem own the Fight Network which I think airs ROH in the States, but that's the only connection.

• Paid Members

You're right in many ways. Rightly or wrongly, I think there is a tendency for the IWC to jump on anything negative TNA/Impact does. I don't think there would be the same level of uproar had an ROH wrestler made the jump to TNA under similar circumstances.

That said, and knowing that to be the case, I think it would be best for TNA to just be the better man and let this one slide. They're in a can't win situation really, and I think everyone knows that Matt and Jeff probably did go above and beyond the call of duty to develop the gimmick while the company was in flux.

TNA just don't have the goodwill that other companies have though. The stories that have come out about how they've treated talent are pretty incredible. This just feels like "New owners but they are still cunts".

Surely the sensible thing for them to do would be establish ownership but agree to let the Hardys use it for a token sum. That way there's precedent for similar cases in the future.

The thing I don't get is surely the Broken Hardys going elsewhere and getting over isn't a bad thing for TNA? What's the point in killing over characters that you own all the footage of? If a new audience wants to see how it all developed then they're going to have to look at TNA. It also keeps the characters alive if they ever decide to go back to TNA in future. They'd get a far better reaction/buzz if they returned after using the characters on the Indies than just suddenly being "broken" again.

• Paid Members

TNA are just protecting what's theirs. If the Hardy developed this "Broken" universe, then they've probably signed a contract saying anything creative becomes the property of TNA. Employment contracts I've signed have had clauses that any product or technology developed during my employment becomes owned by the employer.

If the Hardys signed contracts with a similar clause, then for them to walk out and perform those characters elsewhere just makes a mockery of the contract, and more likely for other clauses are thrown out should another matter be broached. If TNA don't defend this clause, a judge on any other case may go, "Well you (TNA) didn't defend clause A so I'm going to rule with the claimant on challenging clause B."

• Paid Members

None of those acts are as popular as the Broken Hardy's. That's the issue. 

• Paid Members

TNA are just protecting what's theirs. If the Hardy developed this "Broken" universe, then they've probably signed a contract saying anything creative becomes the property of TNA. Employment contracts I've signed have had clauses that any product or technology developed during my employment becomes owned by the employer.

If the Hardys signed contracts with a similar clause, then for them to walk out and perform those characters elsewhere just makes a mockery of the contract, and more likely for other clauses are thrown out should another matter be broached. If TNA don't defend this clause, a judge on any other case may go, "Well you (TNA) didn't defend clause A so I'm going to rule with the claimant on challenging clause B."

That's why they should go "We really appreciate everything you've done for us. We own the "Broken Universe" but if you acknowledge that and pay us a dollar a year then we'll let you keep using it.".

TNA is a toxic brand and they desperately need to generate some positive feelings among wrestling fans. The fact that the new owners first big decision is to kill off some very popular characters is absolutely disastrous. They aren't WWE. They aren't big enough to do this sort of shit without alienating their target audience. Anybody paying to see the Broken Hardys and getting the standard version isn't going to think "Well TNA are just trying to protect their interests", they're going to think "Fuck TNA".

They might be in the right, legally, but they're fighting a battle where they'll lose even if they win.

• Paid Members

That just shows the entitlement of wrestling fans. The “Broken” stuff was developed in TNA. If the Hardys funding a few episodes of Impact, that doesn’t gain them any right—they were still under contract of TNA at the time. TNA are just protecting their business interests because that’s what they are: a business, and their product is a TV show. The gimmicks portrayed by the Hardys were part of that product.

TNA don’t owe the Hardys anything. If the Hardys paid for a couple of episodes of Impact out of their own pocket then that was their prerogative. What employer wouldn’t let an employee pay for something that’s going to benefit them? If I told my boss, “I’m going to pay for this project” then of course their eyes are going to light up and quickly say “OK!”.

TNA aren’t in the wrong here. The Hardys tried to use intellectual property of one company in another. It’s like an actor developing a character in a TV show, funding a couple of episodes of that show, and then trying to use the same character on another show for another studio. I say “like”, but that’s the exact scenario here. Do you think Warner Bros. would go, “Oh, well. We owe the fans for them to take that character to another show. Imagine the goodwill it will buy us!”

• Paid Members

The Hardys are not employees, though. No wrestler is. A big part of this whole thing is the fact that they're "independent contractors". Different rules regarding IP, especially if they've been using that IP when working for other promotions.

• Paid Members

It’s like an actor developing a character in a TV show, funding a couple of episodes of that show, and then trying to use the same character on another show for another studio. I say “like”, but that’s the exact scenario here.

Its nothing like that whatsoever. Its more like if a clown decides to wear a blue nose instead of a red one at a circus and continues to do so if he works in Sainsburys. Comparing pro wrestling to anything is going down a road that's best not traveled down.