http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=108279

Impact sent them a massive cease and desist order today.

Sounds like they have a case. Petty though.

Since contract talks broke down, hasn't Hardys Mrs (who's the one "character" who no one gives a fuck about) been bad mouthing the company? Perhaps it's a road they didn't want to go down but her bad mouthing the company has become too much?

Either way iMPACT were going to get shit from fans over it all.

Apparently, ROH and all PPV providers carrying the ROH 15th Anniversary Show tonight have received legal notices regarding the Broken Universe also.

Oh dear, when Anthem's ('take-no-prisoners') approach to business is now viewed as a negative (after the die-hards, you know where, have praised them for their hardline and how they dealt with the contract offers and question of creative control).

At least in the court of public opinion, even if Anthem do have a legal footing.

Edited by uklaw

• Paid Members

Its all about whether the Hardys decide to challenge it and make a mockery of these wrestling contracts. I imagine they wont, because who wants to be tied up in court for over a year for something the Hardy Boyz dont need to be hugely over and make a bunch of money. But the idea that anyone can claim ownership of something in wrestling is hilarious really. Imagine what you can get these wrestling companies on if you had the patience? The amount of times they sent Jeff Hardy out all fucked up. The amount of injuries they worked through without any CTE tests. Being told they cant work somewhere, when they are apparently indepedent contractors. Wrestling people are such ridiculous clowns, its no wonder the business is such a carny hole.

• Paid Members

They could have fired Jeff Hardy there and then after Victory Road 11 and they stuck by him.

Watching ROH...

- No mention of Broken or anything
- Delete mannerism is now just a chop
- Jeff has reverted his look
- Matt and Jeff were introduced as "Matt and Jeff The Hardyz"
- Their theme had guitar over it

Edited by Psygnosis

I'd imagine this probably heightens the chance of them returning to WWE then doesn't it? Of course they can make plenty of money on the indies but Vince probably has no clue about the whole Broken thing and is perfectly happy to have the 'normal' Hardy Boyz back on TV, especially Jeff.

I must admit I come down on the side of TNA/Impact on this. While it might seem unfair in the context of pro wrestling and its history of Wild West business practices, what the company's doing is fairly standard amongst grown-ups in the real world. The gimmick was developed for TNA shows, embellished and promoted using TNA funds, and so forth. If you were under contract to Boots when you invented a new kind of toothbrush, you couldn't just take that design with you to Colgate when your contract was up. And even if TNA had nothing material to gain from asserting their ownership in this instance (which isn't true, as some wrestling fans obviously have to choose between spending their money on TNA or ROH), they still have to be seen to consistently protect their IP or else they'll find it harder to make their case the next time a situation comes along that really matters to them.

Edited by Uncle Zeb

• Paid Members

Meltzer said on today's Observer Radio that this is more to stop them going to WWE with the Broken gimmick than anything else. I suspect Anthem are legally within their right to stop them using the gimmick, but it's a huge shame. It's one of the few things that's really caught on in the past few years and I was super excited to see what they did with it in WWE, or even better NXT. I imagined Broken Matt Hardy appearing at NXT Orlando getting one of the biggest pops ever. I don't think that'd be the case if we got, "Ooooooh Yeaaaah!" Matt Hardy instead.

Without the Broken gimmick I can see the Hardy Boyz returning as a tag team, with similar (not much) success as when the Dudleys came back. Jeff as a singles might do alright, but without the character Matt's just a fatter slower version of what he used to be, isn't he?

Still, credit where it's due. Has any company in the history of the business had less good will than TNA? It's like they do it in purpose.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

They could have fired Jeff Hardy there and then after Victory Road 11 and they stuck by him.

No they didnt. They sent him out in no condition to perform. You honestly think that decision was made with the wrestlers wellbeing at heart and not because they were a mark for him and didnt want him leaving?

• Paid Members

No they didnt. They sent him out in no condition to perform. You honestly think that decision was made with the wrestlers wellbeing at heart and not because they were a mark for him and didnt want him leaving?

No I know, they couldn't afford to lose him, thats why they kept him, they could afford it he'd have been gone.