Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I'm still reeling that not everyone sat there at Disney glued to Heavy Metal Van Hammer vs Frankie Lancaster was there purely for love of the sport.

I like Kofi Kingston, and enjoy his matches.

It's a real shame he has never developed any kind of character beyond smiling a lot and doing cool spots in the Royal Rumble.

It's almost six years since he debuted and has been on the roster full time, and he has only had ONE proper angle.

He has had series of matches with a few people which could be considered a storyline, but that Randy Orton thing four years ago was the only time I remember him doing duelling promos, big angles (the leg drop off the balcony at MSG, messing up Randy's car, etc) as well as the match/matches.

According to Wikipedia he has had TEN championship reigns, and I don't think any of them were during a proper angle with an individual.

I'm hoping that they decide to turn him heel just for a change and it turns out he is awesome at it. You never know. :/

I like Kofi Kingston, and enjoy his matches.

I missed his nationality switch - when did he drop Jamaica for Ghana? I'm guessing there was no angle for that either?

Pretty much just started using his normal voice one show, HHH made a comment about him sounding different, but that was about it.

Edited by PSF

I was going to say early 2009 as he was still wearing the Jamaican tracksuit when he was Tag Champs with CM Punk in late 2008, but according to google it changed after DX made a few jokey comments about his accent changing in the lead up to the Bragging Rights ppv in October 2009.

Meltzer reported at the time that Vince realised the Jamaican accent (on the few times he actually did promos) was crap, so they needed to drop it. As Kingston is legitimately from Ghana, they went with that instead.

• Paid Members
According to Wikipedia he has had TEN championship reigns, and I don't think any of them were during a proper angle with an individual.

He kind of had one with Drew McIntyre over the IC title which was actually pretty great. Although admittedly it was a lot about Teddy Long and Matt Hardy, but Kofis role was used pretty perfect there as the face that stood up to him and stopped him.

I've long said Kofi could fill the void Rey has left in regards position on the card, merch and appealing to kids. He ticks all the boxes there or at least he could have, but he's done so little of purpose for so long that ship has long sailed. I'd still fancy seeing him and Gabriel together as a colourful Rockers style high flying tandem.

I am both intrigued and tickled by this RSPW preview of KOTR 1997 -

"King of the Ring already looks to be a solid, if not a really good PPV. The line-up so far:

* The Undertaker vs. Faarooq.

* Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels. Winner gets a title shot at SummerSlam.

* Steve Austin vs. Brian Pillman.

* Road Warriors vs. Owen Hart/Bulldog.

* A KOTR Tourney pool consisting of (most likely) Ahmed, Vader, Goldust and Mankind. Any of those four could advance, and all of them have a shot at winning it. Local ads in Providence (location of the card) are supposedly already advertising the above as confirmed matches.

A few more matches will be announced. Austin Pillman could steal the show. Hart/Michaels should be good, but I'm skeptical as to whether Hart will be fully recovered by then. The Undertaker/Faarooq match will be the angle showcase of the show, probably involving numerous run-ins and possibly the return of Papa Shango. The Legion of Doom seem to be favourites to win the titles. I've already decided I'll order this one, so long as Helmsley isn't added to the card."

• Paid Members
Fun little photo piece on WWE.com featuring current superstars with classic championship belts. Of particular note is Damien Sandow looking the fucking BUSINESS with the Winged Eagle.

that was a nice little piece but the inclusion Regal was a little pointless given that he had held that exact belt

Why did they ever change any of those championships ever in history ever??

Edited by Gordon_The_Gopher

• Paid Members

Yep, both of those things are true. They had that half-and-half belt like those broken heart pendant things.

To be pedantic, that could exempt Layla from the "being pictured with a belt she actually held" thing, as I'm not sure she actually did before they got the weird belt, as IIRC Michelle won the belt & decided to share it.

• Paid Members

I didn't even know this happened! Evolution vignettes were filmed with Mark Jindrak in the role of Batista. Triple H told the story in a strange burial of Jindrak on his DVD extras. Triple H asked them to shoot the vignettes both with and without Jindrak because he didn't want to re-shoot them a month later when Jindrak was out of the group.

256fubl.jpg

He was right in fairness. Jindrak looks like he's going to a wedding in that suit.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay