Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

I want a Scott Steiner Best Of DVD. Buff v Poppa Pump sounds like my wind of wrestling.

I imagine a Best of The Stiener Brothers would be more likely, maybe with 25%-50% dedicated to their solo endeavours.

That being said, whats Scott's public attitude towards WWE at the moment? I understand he's critical of TNA (although criticising TNA is like shooting fish in a barrel)

• Paid Members
Nitro_08241998_0220.jpg

The what now?

Got something to do with his feud with Buff Bagwell hasn't it? I'm sure the guy was basically there to call old Buff a pussy.

Didn't he start bringing him to the ring to dodge rick?

I thought the buff feud ended up not really happening

Its a real shame the way Big Poppa Pump's career went. He had a great tag team run with his brother, looked like a real star on his own, had some good matches and has such star credibility that even in TNA he shone like a star when they were doing PPVs on the road. It feels like all that hides in the shadow of his rubbish WWE run a bit, and the TNA stuff doesn't really matter much because its TNA and none of that matters. He'd be a good one to a do an appreciation thread on as well because you'd get a good variety of good matches and angles with Scotty.

I'm not sure that WWE really knew what to do with Steiner. It's a bit like when they didn't really know what to do with Vader either. Both absolutely cracking performers with brilliant, clear characters that somehow never really gelled with the WWF/E.

I suppose you could argue that, with a few honourable exceptions, the WWE has never been very good at using stars not born in their own system. Mysterio and Flair have both become huge WWE stars, but most people who went WCW--->WWE or ECW--->WWE just never fulfilled their potential.

I'm not sure that WWE really knew what to do with Steiner. It's a bit like when they didn't really know what to do with Vader either. Both absolutely cracking performers with brilliant, clear characters that somehow never really gelled with the WWF/E.

I suppose you could argue that, with a few honourable exceptions, the WWE has never been very good at using stars not born in their own system. Mysterio and Flair have both become huge WWE stars, but most people who went WCW--->WWE or ECW--->WWE just never fulfilled their potential.

Everyone that'd get "ECW" chants nowadays except Raven and Van Dam was total shit though. Van Dam was really the only decent one that stuck with ECW until (near enough) the end. Raven could've done a lot better in WWE if he didn't fuck it up for himself too. Foley and Austin went from ECW to WWE and did alright for themselves.

Vader's problem was he got to the WWF and ran into a bigger bully/cunt than himself. He was cock of the walk in WCW and then he got to the big leagues and got bitched out by a little fella with dangly earrings and a YMCA outfit. Steiner was knackered by the time he got to WWE, and they ballsed up by trying to have him do proper matches when he wasn't capable. After that, he was finished. His early build-up was pretty great though, it was delivering in the ring where it came up skidmarks.

There weren't many stars outside of WWE in the last twenty-thirty years or so anyway. Flair, Sting, Goldberg, DDP, maybe a handful more at most.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Moderators
Hosting seems to be a lot of peoples prediction. I can't see him doing much else. He wouldn't be able to ref a serious match, unless that match had only one pin attempt, I can't see him jumping up and down to make many counts. He isn't working a match. Perhaps working somebody's corner would be nice? I'm sure they'd make it work no matter what it is. I just want to see Hulk come home now.

Again, that couldn't be for a serious match. Not with attention-seeker-Mania running wild outside the ring and on the apron. Have you never seen the Hulkster in a tag match before?

I'm never sure the idea that the WWF can't book people well who come from outside the system really works. I mean that Austin chap got really over. Chris Benoit and Eddy both did the ECW-WCW-WWF route and became far bigger stars in the latter. But certainly in the case of Austin and Benoit they were names in WCW.

What's notable about these names is that it took time for the WWF to put them over in that position. Well, with the exception of Flair really. But Austin, Eddy, Mysterio and Benoit all had to work the middle of the card first and then be built up to that position. It took a while. Steiner was brought straight into the main event and cutting cool promos and showing off his incredible physique but was whacked into the main event spot far, far too soon. His first night at Survivor Series he looked like a star. But they rushed him. Admittedly he was a far bigger star coming in than the other names but I think there's a case that if they took things slower with him than he'd have been alright.

But then there's also a case that if they didn't book him against Triple H he'd have probably been better off. I don't think his matches against him were, as others suggest, HHH trying to sabotage the new big star but more that HHH was of the mind set that his 'Flair' routine was the way to get people over. He was wrong. Both with Steiner and Goldberg. The biggest what if, to me anyway, in the WWF careers of Steiner and Goldberg is what would have happened if they were brought into SmackDown. I think that might have made quite a difference.

• Paid Members
Again, that couldn't be for a serious match. Not with attention-seeker-Mania running wild outside the ring and on the apron. Have you never seen the Hulkster in a tag match before?

I'm sure he'll be extra motivated for this 'Mania 30 card to show the World that he's still the biggest star in all of wrestling (similar to that Rock match). It's why the host gig is perfect for him, he'll come out, milk the ovation and then act cool. Can't wait.

Steiner was brought straight into the main event and cutting cool promos and showing off his incredible physique but was whacked into the main event spot far, far too soon. His first night at Survivor Series he looked like a star. But they rushed him. Admittedly he was a far bigger star coming in than the other names but I think there's a case that if they took things slower with him than he'd have been alright.

But then there's also a case that if they didn't book him against Triple H he'd have probably been better off. I don't think his matches against him were, as others suggest, HHH trying to sabotage the new big star but more that HHH was of the mind set that his 'Flair' routine was the way to get people over. He was wrong. Both with Steiner and Goldberg. The biggest what if, to me anyway, in the WWF careers of Steiner and Goldberg is what would have happened if they were brought into SmackDown. I think that might have made quite a difference.

There's no way they could've let Goldberg rot on SmackDown. Steiner maybe. They'd have been better off with Steiner just being a participant in the Rumble, racking up a few eliminations before getting thrown out by a big gaggle of guys. It's strange to think of when he could've ended up having the title matches (on Raw) though if he wasn't thrown straight into the mix. Booker was rightfully earmarked as the WrestleMania challenger that year, then Triple H had his matefests with Michaels and Nash, and then Goldberg was on the title scene. Steiner could've maybe taken Kane's place in the Goldberg feud at the end of 2003, but Kane was a big focus at the time after losing the mask. So Steiner could've been the guy to face Triple H at WrestleMania XX I suppose... But even then, Vince thought Benoit and Eddie were more than drug-addled timebombs and they were part of the "It all begins again" theme.

Steiner on Smackdown could've been a hoot. Him and Lesnar could've had some scorchers along the lines of Scotty vs Goldberg at Fall Brawl. He could've done a lot with Angle too. And Scott Steiner being on Team Lesnar instead of one of those three shittip nobodies would have made Survivor Series 2003 more appealing on the Smackdown side.

I wonder if there was ever a plan for him to do something at WrestleMania XIX.

I forgot about Eddie and Benoit. Although, they both died in WWE, so maybe not the best examples of WWE success ;)

And Austin... he wasn't Stone Cold until WWE. That's a character they built and invested in. Same with Mankind. Once Mankind was established, they let him do other things, but they didn't just throw Cactus Jack into the main event.

Steiner is his own worst enemy anyway, he knew he wasn't 100% fit when they called him up but he bullshitted them. I still think they threw him into that long HHH match at RR just to make a point. He saved his Indian Summer for TNA, where it didn't matter.

• Paid Members

WWE knew he was a broken down mess when they signed him. It wasn't a big secret that he had drop foot syndrome when he worked his last match for WCW. The Scott Steiner signing was a super long drawn out one, because of how bad his injuries were. His contract had been up about 10 months before they signed him. They spent months giving him fitness tests and seeing if he could work to a decent standard. They knew what they were getting when they signed him. They knew what they were doing with Steiner. I dont know if it was Johnny Ace angry about the way Steiner acted when he was in WCW or if it was Triple H not happy that Steiner used to bully his mate Terry Taylor or that he beat up DDP, but its looks obvious Steiner was brought in to be exposed and pushed out the door. They ticked every box when it comes to destroying someones reputation. They made him look like a fucking idiot who couldn't hang. Making him work long matches when they knew that was never his thing to begin with and he never got his finisher over to the fans. They seemed to throw him on TV to get eaten up.

I'm sure he'll be extra motivated for this 'Mania 30 card to show the World that he's still the biggest star in all of wrestling (similar to that Rock match). It's why the host gig is perfect for him, he'll come out, milk the ovation and then act cool. Can't wait.

And let's not forget putting the boots to Swagger and Cesaro for calling themselves Real Americans. That'll probably happen.

Am I right in thinking Scott Steiner's feud with Trips was during the era of Hunter's epic monologues that opened the RAW tapings and could on occasion be a tad monotonous, as well as Hunter's own injuries (I think his hamstring was playing up)? If so this probably didn't help, but we're talking over 10 years ago so I'm struggling to recall.

I remember seeing Steiner in one of his first post-WCW contract appearances during the WWA December 2001 UK Tour. I think Steiner missed the first couple of tour dates in Ireland as his WCW contract was active at the beginning of the tour.

He really did put in a good showing - physically and on the mic - but he was in a house show triple threat against Jeff Jarrett and Road Dogg that night.

Fast forward almost a year and he's the subject of Bloopermania type videos galore.

Edited by Ant