Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

marked out forums

http://forum.markedout.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11239

I figured some of our first time readers checking out reports may be wondering what a hippo is, and why it's littered throughout some reports.

The word hippo automatically replaces censored words that will give away where free meets take place. We don't allow the locations to be posted since if the spots have more fans, the star is less likely to stop, so we do everything we can to protect the free locations from becoming overexposed.

If you avoid the censored words, and stick with ambiguous words like "spot", "location", "place", or a multitude of others, you won't have the word hippo in your report.

@Ian:

Marked Out is a forum full of posts similar to what you posted, I believe the content you posted is from there, the guy pictured with Orton has done it many times.

Marked out caused loads of problems for the now defunct CZW Fans board as they took some posts off Marked Out for the lolz. Some of the CZW Fans boards members actually work for the WWE and a few Marked Out posters called WWE HQ to complain that they were being made fun of by employees. CZW Fans got nuked to do damage limitation towards those people's jobs. I don't think anyone got into too much trouble but it just shows how some people can be.

As for the belt, it may have been a belt they were intending to use as the new World Heavyweight title or had it as a place holder/belt they had made didn't use until it was needed.

I initially thought it was only used in a one shot deal as the only footage I've found of Hogan using the belt was the night before the Houston Summit event in October 1986, he face Paul Orndorff in a DQ rule waived match:

Hulk Hogan Vs Paul Orndorff - DQ Rule Waived 18/10/1986

That was until the picture on WWE.com arose. The belt features Hogan's face and is pretty much a mash up of the Hogan '86 and the WCW World Six-Man Tag-Team titles

BeltFanDan aka Dan Van Alst from Belttalk says it was used for a month or so.

• Paid Members

Watts was gone by early 93. It sounds like when they started taping at Disney and were hiring actors to be in the first few rows because they were better looking at would boo/cheer on demand. I don't remember it specifically being no blacks though.

It was that time period, yeah.

During the show, several kids were kicked out of the taping because Big Fred was in the audience and they began chanting "Shock Master" at him. The middle section in front of the cameras was blocked off again for models and suits as part of the "no black kids in front of camera" idea.

• Paid Members

Wrestling Society X used cast members as the audience. They sent out a press release saying "if you dont look like a pork scratching, show up to WSX". It was the best looking audience I've ever seen at a wrestling show. They all looked like an MTV crowd.

Lance Storm brought this up recently regarding TNA recently. He questioned if TNA would eventually have to turn into something like Wrestling Revolution Project or Wrestling Society X or Ring Ka King. Where you'd film about 6 months worth of TV and say to the roster "see you in six months lads". I wonder how that would work in 2014? Having a promotion solely built for TV. House shows and PPVs lose money if you look at the yearly bottom line, so basing it around TV wont be as tragic as it sounds. Would it even hurt TNA's ratings? I dont even know if it would. And that doesn't just apply to TNA. I wonder how that format would work.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I was discussing that idea on here some time back. Not with TNA mind, just that i'd like to see a wrestling promotion give it a go and I thought WRP was going to be the one to do so. I think it would be worth a punt, presented in an episodic TV format and in sets of series, obviously building towards their series finale for their big show and with a big focus on merchandise.

Nothing really better than an organic reaction to wrestling. Wrestling's fake but the reactions are real. Wsx suffered from this felt like a paid crowd of far too good looking extras in a movie. Ring ka king is different because it was in front of a crowd who'd never seen anything like it and had that organic reaction. The best raw for me this year has been the post mania raw where the crowd took over and for me after a sub par Mania had something they need to get put of theor system. Surprised to hear their were actors in wcw 93 I just remember overweight tourists wearing Disney merchandise.

Agreed and to a degree people did try to make that happen the thread on here "how can we in the uk outdo that crowd" "what shall we chant?" it didnt work, it was organic that night and that's what made it feel special. A real reaction is what makes wrestling the special thing that it can be and sets it apart from other forms of entertainment. A crowd of actors crosses the line that wrestling walks between real and fake and becomes a movie set. Not the pseudo sport that we know.

• Paid Members

True that. Its why loud crowd reactions are so special. And if crowds are buzzing every week everything gets mixed in and you get stuff like the This is Your Life shite getting more praise than it deserves. You cant separate the men from the boys when the crowds are easily pleased. That's why you get these shoot interviews from people who worked during the boom period bragging about their big reactions, when in reality a lot of them wouldn't have gotten over if the business wasn't on fire.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay