Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Moderators

I've just seen the worst finish ever. A 1992 episode of Prime Time. El Matador vs Damien Demento. Demento gets disqualified by Bill Alfonso for holding Santana's tights during a pin.

Edited by PowerButchi

I've just seen the worst finish ever. A 1992 episode of Prime Time. El Matador vs Damien Demento. Demento gets disqualified by Bill Alfonso for holding Santana's tights during a pin.

Just Youtube'd it. Bloody hell, what was that about?? It wasn't even one of those full on tight-pull cradle pins. He was barely even holding on.

• Paid Members

Just Youtube'd it. Bloody hell, what was that about?? It wasn't even one of those full on tight-pull cradle pins. He was barely even holding on.

Ha, I just watched it as well. Absolutely no idea what happened there but I love the fact that the crowd were just way too happy that Tito won to care and both wrestlers sold it like it was a logical finish!

Well they did just about manage to get Umaga hitting people with Thumb over so I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Never understand why the Samoan spike gets so much shit. The way Umaga hit hit it with his mannerisms was great. The visual of the manager snapping the cigar was great. And then think about some strong as fuck wild man jabbing his thumb into your throat as hard as he could, its gonna fucking hurt and your staying down for at least 3 seconds. Nothing wrong with the move at all.

umagasamoanspike0iu.gif

I miss Umaga :(

Does it get shit though? I haven't really come across people slagging it off. As you say, it looks brutal and very realistic.

• Paid Members

I assume that 1992 match was just after SummerSlam? That's when Vince decided that with business slumping, particularly the Shango feud, it was time to pretend to be All Japan. They started enforcing all the rules, (Martel got DQed vs Max Moon for tights pulling, Nasty Boys got DQed vs jobbers), Slaughter was made the authority figure, Flair started working 25-30 minute matwork heavy main events vs Hart or Savage, usually going over clean, and so on. It lasted for about three weeks before Vince got bored of it.

• Paid Members

So bad they reused it in 2008 in a Chris Jericho vs Kofi Kingston match on Raw!

• Paid Members

From the Observer at the time:

Supposedly we can expect to see a noticeable product-mix change in the WWF starting with the television shows that aired this past weekend. On all the shows the commentators talked about stricter enforcement of existing rules as a new directive from Jack Tunney and talked of the appointment of Sgt. Slaughter as a rule enforcer/guest ref, etc. Actually on the Superstars show, Vince McMahon sounded almost, but not quite, like Bill Watts did his first week in with the emphasis on going back to wrestling and with Slaughter in almost the exact same role as Ole Anderson. McMahon didn't go so far back in time publicly such as removing the mats and specifying immediate DQ's for top rope rules, but apparently the performers in reality have been similar stricter performance guidelines. The matches are supposed to worked realistically with an emphasis on holds. All action is to stay inside the ring except for the main eventers, who have more latitude. Yelling at the crowd for cheap heat as a shortcut to avoid actually wrestling is supposed to be limited. Managers are supposed to not distract from the match nor get involved except in specified finishes. In fact, all managers have been told to sit in their chair and not get up until the finish for the duration of the matches. Ray Stevens, who was considered the best worker of the 1960s by many people, is there to teach this old style of work to the newer wrestlers. Obviously the belief is the company has gone too far in a certain direction and with popularity on the wane, it's time to get away from the heavy fantasy. To do this right is going to require something of a talent overhaul, because there are plenty of names on the current roster that won't fit in if they are really going to a wrestling-based product. While many have already joked that they are trying to copy a formula that is failing miserably with WCW, the truth is only WWF with its aura as being the major league, can really succeed in any serious public re-education. However, having been told all that, and having seen more actual wrestling on television over the weekend, you still see an awful lot of stuff on television that makes this sound schizophrenic. If you want people to go back to suspending disbelief, while you can have a few gimmick characters, what makes them gimmicks and different is a base of wrestlers who are more than just gimmicks. Right now, the base of the product, the non-gimmick performers, isn't there. While the reports we've gotten from house shows is that the match quality has improved, there are still few of what would be called good matches and certainly no more than one per show. Ric Flair's main events that go more than 20 minutes continue to be of the standard of Flair's reputation but you are only going to get new fans to the arenas and old fans back to the arenas for the most part through television. There need to be structural changes in the television show or else people will see it as just the same old stuff that people have been tuning away from in record numbers. The new emphasis on Bob Backlund (and those interviews about him returning for title shots seem already outdated) certainly looks like the backdrop for something of a directional change in the product, as is the push of Bret Hart to the top. Let's see how patient everyone is. It wasn't that many months ago that Bill Watts came in going to make great changes in the product, and here we are five months later and an average fan would be hard pressed to tell the difference in this product from the old product, and Jake Roberts is running around threatening babyfaces with a snake, which fits in perfectly with a promotion that claims to be building itself around athleticism.

• Paid Members

From impressionist Phil Cool's Wikipedia page.

In a 2002 production on BBC comedy performers, Karl Howman recalled how he and (Phil) Cool obtained tickets and backstage passes for a World Championship Wrestling (WCW) event while both were in the United States during the early 1990s. Cool's humour and impressions of wrestling stars such as Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair were well received by the wrestlers backstage who were told of his BBC work and keen to have Cool involved in the product in some way. Cool's schedule would not allow a long term commitment, but he did appear at one live show, portraying masked wrestler Kendo Nagasaki (also known as The Dragonmaster). Cool was unmasked and revealed as an imposter sent by Nagasaki to throw off his opponent. The real Nagasaki, played by Kazuo Sakurada (who is also well known as the trainer of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and WCW superstar Bret "The Hitman" Hart), appeared on the rampway as Cool delivered some amusing facial expressions and a brief monologue in the ring

Shame Howman never broke out some of his best work backstage as well. A WCW/Brush Strokes hybrid could have kickstarted a boom period long before 1996. Shame it never happened.

Still not to late. Imagine if Because of You by Dexys Midnight Runners hit the speakers and Karl Howman walked out instead of Tito Ortiz? Game changer.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

From impressionist Phil Cool's Wikipedia page.

The real Nagasaki, played by Kazuo Sakurada (who is also well known as the trainer of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and WCW superstar Bret "The Hitman" Hart), appeared on the rampway as Cool delivered some amusing facial expressions and a brief monologue in the ring

Shame Howman never broke out some of his best work backstage as well. A WCW/Brush Strokes hybrid could have kickstarted a boom period long before 1996. Shame it never happened.

Still not to late. Imagine if Because of You by Dexys Midnight Runners hit the speakers and Karl Howman walked out instead of Tito Ortiz? Game changer.

Wait one second, is Wiki seriously claiming that this Sakurada chap was the real Kendo Nagasaki? I always thought the character was a British invention that the Yanks imitated

• Paid Members

Great find. I loved them buddies as a kid. I literally beat the stuffing out of them every day. I never had the Hogan for some reason. I had Warrior and Savage. And I had Sting and Flair from the WCW versions. They've done more haven't they, in recent years? I'm sure my nephew's got a Sin Cara one.

Edit - just seen this on Google images;

4794_figure2.jpg

Are these legit? Says they were 'unproduced', so they didn't see the light of day. I always thought the late 80s batch were the only ones for some reason.

Edited by wandshogun09

That Bret and Diesel are legit, but they were never produced, and it was a different company (JustToys) to the earlier ones made by Tonka.

There are newer ones now made by Mattel, but no Sin Cara. Might have been Mysterio? They've done Rey, Cena, Kofi, Sheamus, Orton, Brodus Clay, The Rock, Ryder, maybe one or two more. The newer ones are smaller and talk. They were nearly impossible to get hold of last Christmas.