Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I think Brian was going to take his details and try to set something up. Saddest thing was how many times we had a variation of "I remember [so and so]. Do you know how he is these days?" "Yeah, he died."

Edited by JNLister

• Paid Members

I'd love to read a book about the well travelled mid carders of the world. The ones who haven't been featured previously, say 5 or 6 names, and a book of their stories. Would be lovely.

Especially if it was a wrestler, mid card, well travelled from different countries. Wow

• Paid Members
I'd love to read a book about the well travelled mid carders of the world. The ones who haven't been featured previously, say 5 or 6 names, and a book of their stories. Would be lovely.

Especially if it was a wrestler, mid card, well travelled from different countries. Wow

Jeff Jarrett is the man to write the ultimate wrestling book - he's seen it all and done it all.

What to people think to Roddy Piper as a babyface colour commentator in 90/91?

As a kid, I thought he was great, especially the way he'd used to mock some of the heels, but after rewatching survivor series '90 the way he reacted to Taker seemed a bit like he was taking the piss... not the best start for your monster heel...

What to people think to Roddy Piper as a babyface colour commentator in 90/91?

As a kid, I thought he was great, especially the way he'd used to mock some of the heels, but after rewatching survivor series '90 the way he reacted to Taker seemed a bit like he was taking the piss... not the best start for your monster heel...

There was a dead man walking down to the ring, i'm not sure how he could have reacted other than completely over the top. So yes he was probably taking the piss and hoping it would blend in nicely.

• Paid Members

Yeah, but nobody was talking about that after the match. They were talking about how he'd taken seconds to put away the Birdman, cleanly pinned the Dream (nobody had done that on TV) and was completely invincible, and there would have been no way in hell that he wouldn't have won that match (sorry Bret) had he not been having such a great laugh kicking Dusty's fat arse up the aisle that he got counted out. That's what was remembered, not Piper saying "I think we need a little night-night" about the rings under his eyes or whatever. It was the best start imaginable for a monster heel, short of cleanly pinning a babyface main eventer from the get-go, which would have been throwing PPV dollars away. Piper had zero impact on the way Taker resonated as an immediate huge threat to anyone in that match.

Hmm, he was very shouty, but then that's Roddy Piper. I thought he got Virgil over hugely for a while there.

Piper's commentary for Virgil's turn at the Rumble and then his big night out at MSG (two of the best "feelgood" PPV shows of all time from start to finish) must rank as some of the finest commentary work of all time. I still get choked up watching both of those in relation to Virgil, and it must only be because of Piper selling me on the emotion of the story because the rest of the time, I didn't give a fuck about Virgil.

I enjoyed Piper, because most of the time he remembered why he was there, which was to get talent over. He might have been extremely animated about The Model being a coward and DiBiase being a scumbag and both being cheating bastards, but he always reminded you that talent-wise they were two of the best. Early on as well, he alluded to not really being a Hogan fan (although he softened towards the Hulk as he went on) which was a nice nod to their history for the long term fans. Similarly whenever he was mentioning knowing firsthand how tough Snuka was, and when he shouted "I remember this back in '83" when Col Mustafa (a/k/a Sheiky baby) had the Hulk in the Camel Clutch. He was a good bloke to have in the booth because (like Savage) he had the experience/credibility of having been in the ring in big time matches but recently enough for a lot of the young fans watching to remember him, whereas The Body (while a great "character" colour man) would have been slightly before the time of a lot of the fans they had captured through the phenomenon of Hulkamania.

Have been watching a lot of Raw and Smackdown from 2000 onthis channel and I forgot how much I enjoyed the slow build for the HHH/Stephanie/Angle 'love triangle'. The hints are there from January and I honestly think Angle and Steph had better on screen chemistry than she did with HHH.

In the ring you can see him improving month by month. Obviously it helps that he was in there with Rock, Benoit, Jericho etc from the beginning but he looks legitimate main event by No Mercy in my opinion.

Also, I'm sure someone on here commented about Kurts wrestling attire a while back and a lot of it is gorgeous. He really was a fine looking fellow back then wasn't he?

I did enjoy Piper's commentary during Robert's snake attack on Savage. The shot of the cobra sliding out the bag followed by him yelling, "GET OUTTA THERE RANDY!" will stick with me. Vince was great during that as well. No way Monsoon and Ventura would have sold that angle so well.

Otherwise he's shit.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

Is there a reason Piper's never become a commentator for WWE since his (virtual) retirement? He always seemed like a perfect choice for me. In the same vein as JBL or Lawler, a fantastic talker that understands the role.

• Paid Members

That's how it always stuck with me as a kid, being what I thought he said and it's still how I say it in my head. Possibly one of my favourite calls for the affect it had. I had no idea what it meant, but the way he said it had little ShortOrder convinced before he'd even got to the ring.