Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
It wouldn't be an old school WWF show without at least once cack, albeit character driven match. But yeah, SUmmerslam 91 was fantastic. Probably the best PPV they would stage until Summerslam 95 actually.

I like SummerSlam '95, the Shawn vs Razor ladder match #2 is great and I absolutely love the Kid-Hakushi opener. But in that timeframe, I'd rank Royal Rumble '92 (even with the lacklustre undercard, aside from Piper's title win), WrestleMania VIII, SummerSlam '92, King Of The Ring '93 and WrestleMania X above SS '95 easy. There were quite a few really strong PPVs from summer 1991 - summer 1995, despite it being a down period business-wise.

• Paid Members
It wouldn't be an old school WWF show without at least once cack, albeit character driven match. But yeah, SUmmerslam 91 was fantastic. Probably the best PPV they would stage until Summerslam 95 actually.

Summerslam was a bit of a diamond in the rough as even at that time, watching as an 11 year old, it was clear as day that the WWF was a bit crap. I'd still rate Wrestlemania 10 above it though, blinding show.

• Paid Members

I never thought WWF was a bit crap until 96. When Undertaker came out without his jacket on for a Battle Royal on Raw where none of the wrestlers had entrances, that's when I thought WWF had lost all perspective. In 1995, when it was supposedly at its creative low point, I remember thinking "well, Jeff Jarrett will make it as the next Macho Man eventually, he just needs to keep at it" and "this Rad Radford is quite compelling". I just eat up anything they gave me at the time. I was just happy to have Sky on that month. I'd be watching WrestleMania 11 and going "what a show this is!".

1995 was the year when Rick Rude and Curt Hennig were always rumoured to be coming back. Even in the playground (where the wrestling fan base was down to me and another lad). Pre-teletext, the playground was the place to be for rumours.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Well, even as a kid I used to over-analyse things a bit. It really hit home when watching a VHS tape from, say 1992, and comparing it to the high school gyms they were taping Raw and Superstars in. The Portugese Man of War and Mantaur didn't help either.

In 1996 they brought the Warrior in, and being someone who was bitter that we got Sky in the spring of 1993 when all the proper stars were on the way out, it tempered me quite a lot.

1995 was the year when Rick Rude and Curt Hennig were always rumoured to be coming back. Even in the playground (where the wrestling fan base was down to me and another lad).

Haha, you're lucky someone else in your school actually watched by then. It took me until the third form to find someone to talk about it with, and I still go with him to watch TNA every year.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

To prove WWE.com is the best site on the internet, they've posted 187 "never before seen" pictures of Hulk Hogan. A lot of Hulk going around at the minute in WWE.

Prepare for your mind to be blown. Some cracking pictures here. A lot of which I've never seen.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/hulk-hogan-lik...m-before-photos

Favourites are these:

106_OTM_HULK_00001986_0001.jpg

144_sHULK_00000000_0004.jpg

180_WM1_03311985_0187.jpg

110_a_00001998_0041.jpg

166_THUNDER_04201993_0006.jpg

163_THUNDER_04171993_0004.jpg

How the fuck can anyone not like this man? What a bloke.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

There was much to enjoy about 1995. I've nearly finished all the Raw so I'll drop a megapost in the Old School thread. I might throw in some amusing/noteworthy quotes from the old issues of Power Slam * that Benny sold me, and possibly the 1995 PWI 500 that's in my cupboard, since this year's list prompted a bit of discussion in the minor news thread.

* Off the top of my head, Fin describing then-ECW's Public Enemy as a "world class tandem" makes me piss myself. No disrespect to the dead and all that, but actually nearly wet my boxers.

But in that timeframe, I'd rank Royal Rumble '92 (even with the lacklustre undercard, aside from Piper's title win),

I'm wounded. New Foundation v Orients was fun.

• Paid Members

You're right. I did enjoy that match. For some reason I totally forgot that match but the seemingly 3 hour Bushwhackers vs Beverlys match that followed it is tattoed into my memory.

The Royal Rumbles usually always had a strong tag match on the undercards back then didn't they? 1991 - Rockers vs Orients, 1992 - New Foundation vs Orients, 1993 - Steiners vs Beverlys, 1994 - Bret/Owen vs Quebecers. I vaguely recall the Kid/Holly vs Bigelow/Tatanka tag from '95 being quite fun as well.

I was just watching last night's episode of Burn Notice and out of nowhere Mike freakin' Sanders popped up as a random hired goon. Cool little surprise. Used to enjoy the dude's mic work back in the day.

Edited by pgi86