Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

That sign at In Your House: Season's Beatings that said "MARTY MUST DIE" was slightly harsh, wasn't it?!

I just had to Google/Wikipedia what you meant by Season's Beatings. Those early IYH titles have been added retrospectively, surely? I'm positive Good Friends Better Enemies was the first IYH to have an actual tagline. Or at the very least an official tagline that was used in all the promotional material??

• Paid Members

I'm sure they had tag lines on the US videos before that, though. Something like that anyway. I remember Dillkid once acing Freaky Jason when he denied this was the case. A google search brings up the Sid vs Diesel one (which I believe was IYH2) was taglined "The Lumberjacks are ... In Your House"

mICDOq3N4vFOGwBCHKy0GxA.jpg

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Well you learn something new every day! I've never heard of those taglines before in my life, which suggests they can't have been used in the broadcasts themselves as I usually have a good memory for things like that. Maybe just a post-event marketing idea in the US for the VHS releases?

• Paid Members

Looks like it might be. All I can think of is it was a US thing on advertisements promoting the event either locally or to the PPV audience and not something they were pushing on TV. Because I know we didn't get those over here. We didn't even get the actually pay-per-views over here, so it could have been listed in the TV guides over there as WWF Season's Beatings and stuff like that.

On checking here are the taglines for the pre-Good Friends events.

IYH I = IYH 1

IYH II = The Lumberjacks

IYH III = The Triple Header

IYH IV = The Great White North

IYH V = Season's Beatings

IYH VI = Rage In The Rage

I have no memory of any of them with those.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Wikipedia matches my recollection that the subtitles for the first six shows were added after the events and were only used for the video releases in the US. Good Friends, Better Enemies (7) was the first that was used at the time of the event.

• Paid Members

Ahmed Johnson was great, wasn't he? He was great from when he slammed big Yokozuna until he lost the IC belt by Farooq penalty kicking his liver. Anybody else agree? I'd have him in the Hall of Fame just for that period.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Ahmed Johnson was great, wasn't he? He was great from when he slammed big Yokozuna until he lost the IC belt by Farooq penalty kicking his liver. Anybody else agree? I'd have him in the Hall of Fame just for that period.

I thought Ahmed was amazing. Like "next Hulk Hogan" amazing. Right up until his failed heel turn with the Nation, after which he kinda just fizzled out and didn't really do much in between injuring himself every couple of weeks. I remember being gutted when he didn't make the title match with The Undertaker at IYH 16. I genuinely thought he had a shot at taking the belt. Looking back it's pretty hilarious how clumsy he was, especially after hearing the numerous reports from other guys about how horrible he was to work with. He was pretty much the Ultimate Warrior of the New Generation, but without the success.

My lasting memory of Ahmed now (apart from showing up in WCW with a massive gut) was him managing to slice his hand open on a nail sticking out of the announcers desk on Raw, then wearing a ridiculously huge bandage for the next couple of weeks.

*EDIT*

That's a lie, I'll also never forget this Ahmed promo which actually closed Raw one week -

. At the time I genuinely didn't understand what he was saying, though it's slightly clearer now. Edited by CTXRussomark

Just got pastGoto vs. Shibata in my New Japan watching.

Shame, I was rather enjoying it until whatever that was. I know I watch lucha and there's silly stuff in it, but that "why don't we back suplex each other a few times" thing was hillariously out of place. It'd have been hillarious anywhere really but god knows what that was doing in a "yarrrgh" striking each other match. I don't really get why you'd bother slapping each other about and stuff if you're going to have a comedy spot in it?

Have you seen Nakamura vs Sakuraba? You might like that, it don't really look like a typical New Japan match, mma influence and that. It's great.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwhw3b_sh...rt#.Uc_6FG3Jec0

• Paid Members
Ian, can you explain that pic in terms of event and when. I have to say, Hoyt looks bloody brilliant and Taka by the ropes too.

I wanna check this out.

The match is from the April 5th Korakeun Hall New Japan show. That pic is from the main event, Davey Boy Smith Jnr & Lance Archer defending their IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Title's against Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii. The back story is that Davey and Lance are a team by the name of Killer Elite Squad and are in the Suzuki-Gun stable which is lead by Minoru Suzuki with TAKA Michinoku & Taichi along with outsiders and gaijins (Yoshihiro Takayama, Kengo Mashimo from KAIENTAI-DOJO (TAKA's promotion) and Shelton Benjamin oddly). Nakamura is the IWGP Intercontinental Champion and leader of rival faction CHAOS.

Suzuki-Gun and CHAOS at that time were the two main heel factions in New Japan who until that point hadn't had many interaction, but after Minoru Suzuki pulled off a win over CHAOS #2 and former IWGP Heavyweight Champion, Kazuchika Okada, he declared Suzuki-Gun to be the #1 faction in New Japan and declared war with CHAOS.

Nakamura had successfully defended his IWGP Intercontinental Championship against Lance Archer but was later defeated by Davey Boy Smith Jnr in the main event of the last Korakeun Hall show. Davey then demanded a title shot which Nakamura agreed for the big Sumo Hall PPV show on April 7th, but that he and Ishii would challenge KES for the tag belts two days before hand.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xys4j7_ki...rt#.Uc6-Ym0vYhc

There's the main event match in question. The show also contains Prince Devitt defending his IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship against Alex Shelley in the semi-main event. In two days time at the PPV Devitt and Ryusuke Taguchi, Apollo 55, are set to challenge Shelley and KUSHIDA, Time Splitters, for their IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title's so in the opening match Taguchi faces KUSHIDA.

In the main event of the April 7th show you have Hiroshi Tanahashi defending the IWGP Heavyweight Championship against former champion, Kazuchika Okada so they have a tag match as a build up. The playlist for the full show is below if you fancy it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2kkqr.../1#video=xys18h

Mint reply, thanks very much

• Awards Moderator
Amazing bit of work visualising the WWF history by the F4W board's resident statto, Mookieghana. As far as I understand it, the lines are people who wrestled one another, the size of the circle for each person is how many different people they wrestled, and the colors represent each person's peak era. Michaels is the centre as he's wrestled the most people spanning eras.

Looks like Battle Royals skew that significantly. Funaki, Johnny Rodz and Greg Valentine get a great showing.

Pretty. Not quite sure what analysis you can really draw from it, aside from the fact that wrestling fans are a bit geeky.

• Moderators

Well, Greg Valentine was there full time from 1984-1992, there were loads and loads and loads of people different in that time. The rosters from 1984 and from 1987 are like night and day, for example.

Have you seen Nakamura vs Sakuraba? You might like that, it don't really look like a typical New Japan match, mma influence and that. It's great.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwhw3b_sh...rt#.Uc_6FG3Jec0

I'll give it a go. To be honest I enjoyed most of the show apart from the Goto match and the main event which just kinda dragged a bit. The Devitt match was great.

Last night in Puerto Rico Savio Vega vs. Carlito Caribbean Cool for the first time ever + a 64-year-old Carlos Colon vs. a 60-something-year-old Invader #1 drew this house:

uYxcQem.jpg

Not too shabby. Not too shabby at all!

Edited by pgi86