Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Bret was working with WWE on promotional tours and DVD's from 2005. The five further years it took him to step into a WWE ring were due to getting his emotions in check and feeling comfortable to do so, not because of his health. Hard to say really. Bret has stated his stroke (which he believes wouldn't have happened without his WCW concussion) set off a chain of events which got him and Vince talking again. So if that never happened perhaps he'd just be in Calgary banging broads and moaning. Or as you suggest, with health on his side and the realisation he could still go and tear it up with Angle, Benoit, Jericho, Michaels, HHH, Undertaker et all maybe it would have been too tempting for him to stay away from.

JR looks creepy as hell smiling.

You should watch some of the old NWA/WCW broadcasts; they'd come back from a backstage interview and cut to the announce crew at ringside and young JR would be smiling at the camera like a grade A pedo, waiting for his cue. Every time it would creep me out.

• Paid Members

And the ever reliable (and best wrestling site on the net) WWE.com have posted an online tribute to the Lex Express today.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/lex-luger-lex-express-photos

One of the worst decisions ever made was not giving Luger the belt at SummerSlam. People can blame him for being uncharismatic and all that, but they didn't help matters pulling his win from under him. If he'd have won the belt, he could have hopped back on the Lex Express and revisited those towns as a homecoming hero. People talk about decisions today, but fuck me, Luger losing after such a build up killed him. They built the whole PPV around a Luger win as well. I bet its still in the top 5 most expensive pushes WWE have ever tried. Whether you were a Luger fan or you weren't, you have to admit this was a cock up not giving him the belt.

Anyway, I loved the Lex Express and fuck all of you that dont. Such an amazing way to present someone as the man. Tarting a bus up with his name on it and sending him off on a coach trip. They should have just debuted Luger like that I reckon. I was still trying to get over him knocking Mr Perfect out and now we were supposed to love him. I think if he'd have had vignettes dedicated to him for months and then he turned up and slammed Yoko and then went on the big bus ride, he'd have been awesome.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's one of my fondest memories in wrestling, his face turn. It was sudden but brilliantly done and I loved the whole Intrepid thing.

As for the title, I was more bothered about Bret winning it back off Yokozuna so I wasn't bothered after that. He didn't have as many good matches as a babyface and I lost interest. It was a bizarre decision, though.

• Paid Members

I never believed that. What exactly was he giving away? A result we all expected anyway? It wasn't like Cena vs Punk where the decision was on a knife edge. The only result that anyone expected was a Luger win. I believe the theory that Vince thought it would be even better if he waited another half a year until WrestleMania and win it there. Lex's momentum was long since dead, though.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Lugers face turn was done brilliantly with the helicopter entrance, everything after that was appalling. Wrestling was changing and bret in my opinion was at the peak of his in ring powers. I think the fans wanted Bret and no coach trip was going to change that. It was pretty shite aswell. Luger also looked rubbish as he had hiis mullett trimmed.

• Paid Members
Wasn't there that unlikely rumour that Lex got pissed and spoiled the result in a bar or something so WWE changed the result and had Yoko retain?

That story was about WrestleMania in 1994, not SummerSlam 93. And it was twaddle anyway. If Luger was winning, either he'd have to win the belt from Yoko and lose it the same night to Bret, leaving him with no feud; he'd beat Bret as well, meaning Bret lost twice in a night and looked a chump; or Bret would beat Owen, leaving him with no feud.

They should have just debuted Luger like that I reckon.

I have to say, the unveiling of the Narcissus was very entertaining. I didnt object to the babyface turn, but the the mistique of the metal plate in his arm made for an interesting heel for a while. If memory serves, when he beat perfect, there was something said to be fishy about Luger's arm, but not exactly what it was.

Imagine if say, he'd been the one to take the belt off Hogan at KOTOR 93 by using the steel plate 8 or 9 times?