Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Carlito's clearly going to be back in WWE soon, isn't he?

He was great when he was motivated.

Masters seems to have more chance of a blowjob off the Queen then getting back on board, Shelton's nearly 40 but of the lost generation, surely Morrison and Carlito have one more go in them.

Ahmed Johnson was great, wasn't he? He was great from when he slammed big Yokozuna until he lost the IC belt by Farooq penalty kicking his liver. Anybody else agree? I'd have him in the Hall of Fame just for that period.

I thought Ahmed was amazing. Like "next Hulk Hogan" amazing. Right up until his failed heel turn with the Nation, after which he kinda just fizzled out and didn't really do much in between injuring himself every couple of weeks. I remember being gutted when he didn't make the title match with The Undertaker at IYH 16. I genuinely thought he had a shot at taking the belt. Looking back it's pretty hilarious how clumsy he was, especially after hearing the numerous reports from other guys about how horrible he was to work with. He was pretty much the Ultimate Warrior of the New Generation, but without the success.

My lasting memory of Ahmed now (apart from showing up in WCW with a massive gut) was him managing to slice his hand open on a nail sticking out of the announcers desk on Raw, then wearing a ridiculously huge bandage for the next couple of weeks.

*EDIT*

That's a lie, I'll also never forget this Ahmed promo which actually closed Raw one week -

. At the time I genuinely didn't understand what he was saying, though it's slightly clearer now.

His finest hour has to be King of the Ring 1996, when he sent the two jobbers who opened the entrance doors flying on his way to kiss Goldust.

• Paid Members
Carlito's clearly going to be back in WWE soon, isn't he?

He said he's not going back unless he's guaranteed of being something other than a jobber to the stars. And considering thats all they would bring an old wrestler back for, he probably isn't coming back unless he changes his stance on that. He's a different breed from every other indy wrestler. He'll always have a regular work as a headliner for his Dad and he has enough name value to get bookings all over the world because his gimmick was pretty strong. He's someone who doesn't ever need to go back.

On the Ahmed front, when he slammed Yokozuna on his debut, I swear that was bigger than Goldberg beating Hogan in my mind. At least to me it was. Seems daft now, but CM Punk beating Cena in Chicago was like a shite squash on Velocity compared to seeing Ahmed clean house on his first night on Raw. Its all me and my brother talked about for weeks. He looked like he could murder anyone as well. For about 6 months, Ahmed Johnson might have been their next big thing. Shame he had all those injuries. He's only 43 now. He could have been a headliner for the WWF/WWE for a good two decades if he'd have taken off.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Can there be much money in Puerto Rico? Or in his indy dates?

Given the strength of his gimmick, you'd think were he to return he'd easily make PPV's and computer games rosters, at least. Surely a 3 year stint in WWE under those circumstances is worth more to him than 10 years on the indys?

Or, is he a bit of a mark for himself and would rather headline for less money and less people, than play midcard in the WWE?

Shame.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

On another subject, if D-Bry and Orton got fined for their chair spot on Raw, then surely Sandow/Sheamus are due the same punishment?

There was two instances where they did the exact same spot as Orton/Bryan.

Can there be much money in Puerto Rico? Or in his indy dates?

Carlito doesn't work a lot of dates in Puerto Rico. 20-25 per year at most, if that. He's there for almost all the big shows but he very rarely works the weekly TV tapings. Most of his work is on indies elsewhere where there's more money to be made because of his WWE recognition.

Edited by pgi86

• Paid Members

Well the answer was sort of in the last post. If WWE guarantees they can give him work above putting over nobodies and doing nothing in the tag ranks, he'll return because Carlito's place on the card when he worked for WWE wasn't a money position. If you are a Carlito or a John Morrison or an MVP or Goldust or Matt Hardy you can earn very good money on long international tours, trips to Europe, US indies, conventions and all sorts of other stuff. And a promoter will actually pay for your travel as well. Those guys were regulars in WWE for years and built up recognition and because they had fairly long runs on decent positions on the card, still probably get paid kindly on DVD and merchandise residuals from WWE now. There's always money to be made if you had a long run in WWE.

And the real marks for themselves aren't the ones who can make a living outside WWE. If he was a mark for himself, he'd be doing jobs with Primo on Smackdown just to say he works for WWE. I bet Carlito makes more than your average WWE midcarder. Which is what Carlito would be if he returned.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Ahmed Johnson will always go down in folklore in this house by being the only time I know of, that Mr Garynysmon Sr. managed to laugh at anything wrestling related.

Skip to 42 minutes in

Giving D'lo Brown the pearl river plunge through the French announce table, meaning poor old Jaques Rougeau Sr had to carry on trying to commentate through the wreckage.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

Just watched that event a few weeks ago. Guy wasn't D'Lo. D'Lo was a big lard-arse at the time.

I remember they were discussing it on the WrestlingClassics.com board and somebody said the bloke was a friend of Ahmed's from his old Global days in Texas. Definately 100% wasn't D'Lo. He done him at Wrestlemania 13 though.

Spot looked really nasty too.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Just watched that event a few weeks ago. Guy wasn't D'Lo. D'Lo was a big lard-arse at the time.

I remember they were discussing it on the WrestlingClassics.com board and somebody said the bloke was a friend of Ahmed's from his old Global days in Texas. Definately 100% wasn't D'Lo. He done him at Wrestlemania 13 though.

Spot looked really nasty too.

So did Farooq dropping Johnson onto his side on that chair! Just watched the whole match, pretty cool. Didn't realise the Nation had that many white members though.

At first the Nation was a mixed mash group of all colours and nationalities until Crush and Savio were fired in mid 1997. That's when they became a "blacker Nation" if I recall Faarooq's quote correctly.