Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

As part of the Silver Vision closing sale I picked up quite a few Wrestlemania sets on the cheap, mainly for the full Hall of Fame ceremonies that I've never actually seen before. Just working my way through the WM21 ceremony:

* Chris Jericho looks like an absolute star sitting in the crowd. I don't ever remember him looking as cool as he does here.

* Iron Sheik's acceptance speech was hilarious. Off the top of my head I'm thinking this was pre-"make him humble" internet phase so it's not as if he was playing up to his gimmick. Mean Gene's reaction the third time Sheik came back to the podium was great.

* Bobby Heenan's intro for Paul Orndorff was fantastic as you'd expect, but Orndorff's acceptance speech was just bizarre. I don't know what he was trying to do but it just didn't click at all and lead to some uncomfortable silences where the crowd just didn't know how to react.

* Jimmy Hart reinforced all the stories of him being the nicest guy in the business with his acceptance speech. Referencing every person/team he ever managed in the company and just sounding genuinely appreciative for everything he's ever achieved in wrestling. Easily my favourite speech of the night.

* Ric Flair looks and sounds coked/pilled out of his fucking face during his introduction for Roddy Piper. Shaking, sweating, speaking at 100 miles per hour, rambling to the point they actually have to tell him to wrap things up. Piper's acceptance speech was quite understated but served its purpose.

* Stalllone's introduction certainly did Hogan proud, in terms of wildly exaggerating the truth (swearing on his kids lives that Hogan sent 4 stunt men to intensive care during the making of Rocky). I find Hogan to be such an insincere person that I struggled to appreciate the 10 minutes of milking he did before even starting his speech. The speech itself is a bit of a downer in retrospect. He spends a good portion of it talking about how strong his marriage to Linda is, how his kids know to live life on the straight and narrow, and how Vince McMahon is his hero. Fast forward to 2013 and he's divorced, his son's done jail time, and Vince McMahon publicly mocks him when his name is brought up. That aside the rest of his speech is fine and there's no denying he deserved every second being up there and being honoured. It's just quite sad to see what's happened to him since.

• Paid Members
Lugers face turn was done brilliantly with the helicopter entrance, everything after that was appalling. Wrestling was changing and bret in my opinion was at the peak of his in ring powers. I think the fans wanted Bret and no coach trip was going to change that. It was pretty shite aswell. Luger also looked rubbish as he had hiis mullett trimmed.

As a kid I always assumed i'd missed something and that an event of consequence took place between Narcissist knocking everyone out and the sudden face turn.

• Paid Members
Fast forward to 2013 and he's divorced, his son's done jail time, and Vince McMahon publicly mocks him when his name is brought up.

The key word is "publicly." The public face of their relationship is the very definition of cyclical : admit that they owe the other everything when they're on the same page and doing business together, tear each other down when they aren't, so that it comes off as an even bigger deal the next time they "mend fences" and do business with each other. They are the two best workers and businessmen in the history of Our Great Sport, and in real terms we should never pay any attention to a word either man says about the other.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
* Bobby Heenan's intro for Paul Orndorff was fantastic as you'd expect, but Orndorff's acceptance speech was just bizarre. I don't know what he was trying to do but it just didn't click at all and lead to some uncomfortable silences where the crowd just didn't know how to react.

Orndorff was in a huff because he wasn't billed as one of the top-guys going in like Hogan and Piper. Said his piece, got his plaque and left quick-smart supposedly.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Orndorff was in a huff because he wasn't billed as one of the top-guys going in like Hogan and Piper. Said his piece, got his plaque and left quick-smart supposedly.

And if Honky is to be believed he left the HOF fame momento in a taxi/hotel room.

I think i'm ready for an Orton push, now.

I'm not sure how they'd make him a part of the main event without resorting to Orton/Cena one-on-one, but I at least think they should try.

I really like Orton. He has a killer, killer look; his presence/aura is as impressive as anyones and, when he's motivated, he can have a good to great match. I thought on Raw that he easily outshone the other five in that group promo in terms of looking, and even sounding like a star. I'm sure it wouldn't translate as well to a stand alone promo (let's call a spade a spade, his promos can be shite), but with the material he was given on Raw he sounded great. If they could book around his weaknesses, i'd be in for an Orton run in the main event.

Maybe starting with a MITB contract.

• Paid Members

The back issues of the Observer have reached April 1996. Read this line from the questions section sent in by a reader:

Yes, Buh Buh Ray Dudley is a silly gimmick, but it's a low card comedy gimmick as it should be. If Buh Buh was in WCW, he'd be pushed to the top as a monster heel and be put in a program with Hulk Hogan.

Move forward 17 years ...

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Ugh. . WWE feels pretty fresh at the minute, the last thing I want to see is an Orton push. I don't get it myself - dull, contrived matches, boring character whether heel or face, totally wooden on the stick - honestly, the most I've liked Orton was recently as a tag wrestler with Sheamus, that was fun. His role should be the guy the rising star goes through before they move onto Cena like they did with Bryan.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

Ugh. . WWE feels pretty fresh at the minute, the last thing I want to see is an Orton push. I don't get it myself - dull, contrived matches, boring character whether heel or face, totally wooden on the stick - honestly, the most I've liked Orton was recently as a tag wrestler with Sheamus, that was fun. His role should be the guy the rising star goes through before they move onto Cena like they did with Bryan.

Orton has a fair bit of love on here so there will be many who disagree with you. Including myself

• Paid Members

Orton has a fair bit of love on here so there will be many who disagree with you. Including myself

Does he? I've never seen it. Seen plenty of people pointing out he's boring as all fuck though.

What I'd like to see happen with Orton is him get three wellness strikes so he can piss off for good.

The thing with Orton is that when he's A) in a good mood and B) in a town that is receptive, he can be a great, great wrestler. Unfortunately, if he's not the home-town fave or if he's generally a bit miffed in life, you get "phoning it it Orton" and that Orton is a fucking waste of time. He is absolutely capable of being very good and entertaining, but it rarely pans out that way.

He seems desperate to be a bastard heel and utterly bored out of his mind being a dull Face most of the time.