The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members
Where are you doing it Nick, from home? My whole NCTJ course has cost me a tenner.

That's the plan, distance learning. As far as I know, locally there isn't anything like evening classes and so on. The college I work at stopped doing them recently, which is where I'd have taken them.

How has yours only cost a tenner?! The distance learning option alone costs about

• Paid Members

I do it at a local college and apparently it's subsided by the NCTJ don't even have to pay for the exams or anything. It's a cracking qualification to get for next to nothing, the facilities and teaching are top notch too. I have a mate who's paying 4k for it at a Uni though for the same qualification so I might just have been really lucky. Interesting to have someone on here doing it too, let me know how you're getting on when you get it sorted.

Edited by Maverick

• Paid Members
I remember, when I went to a Royal Mail interview, some guy didn't take too kindly to failing his numeracy test. He stormed out and tried to kick off with the other people when they were leaving. He must have been 50+. Quite an odd, scary situation really. I only managed to get out of it by hopping on a random bus going along the street. He lost the plot big time. My abiding memory of Royal Mail.

So he went mental before he even got the job? Sort of pre-postal.

• Paid Members

Have you got another gig lined up?

I've still not officially started my new job yet, recruiting for a contractor to back fill my role and my assistant has been moved elsewhere so I'm doing the work of 2.5 people. Currently on leave for 2 weeks and due back in next Monday to what will be a huge backlog as I had no one to pass work onto when I went off. Joy.

• Moderators

Nah.. I'm going to use the time to do some training - gonna knock the BCS Diploma out; get it out the way, and do some other bits of learning too.

I'm off for a wedding in South Africa mid-Jan, so will line something up for when I come back.

Got a 1 month notice here, so that should use the time fairly productively and fully. (although still leaving me time to chill over christmas as I have family visiting).

Good luck, Chest. Still without even an interview here. The original plan was to work through til December at the current company, use the money my wife was going to earn from a job she took on and this was going to get us to Chile. This is now out of the window so my wife's dream christmas at home is gone. Looking for contracting work but I'm not even getting an interview. Not sure what to do really.

• Paid Members

Is getting funding for these short training courses easy enough? I've got a NC, HNC and HND in Business IT and I always find getting further funding rather difficult.

Anybody recommend any good training providers in Glasgow too?

• Awards Moderator

A dream job came up yesterday. I frantically applied. I got a call today, along the lines of "yeah, this doesn't quite match up with the description..." I realise like a twat I've sent them a CV highlighting the wrong parts of my experience (I'm old, I've done a bunch of stuff. I can do the job, my CV just doesn't say that explicitly). I've scrambled an explanation down the phone but I hope I haven't dashed my chances.

So my first week as a Postie has been pretty sweet. The round I'm on is relatively simple and is very similar to my paper round when I was a kid and the guy I'm shadowing has had us finished early everyday do far. The only draw back is he's an impatient twat bordering on rude and I've struggled to bite my lip but I get the impression that's just his way so I won't look too bad for biting back when he's been particularly cunty. I also have a walking round which is what I was hoping for and providing my fixed term is extended I can see myself doing this job for a long time as it allows me to spend plenty of time with the wife and kids whilst pursuing other ventures.

The thing that'd put me off is dogs. What do you do if there's a scary dog in the garden?

Shout post and see if the owners come or don't deliver. The thing that has surprised me most is how flimsy an excuse a postie will use to not deliver to an address. Granted it's probably not the majority but the impression I get is if one won't deliver because of dodgy access or whatever then none will.

• 5 weeks later...

Hmm, may be time to find a new job, what kind of office based jobs earn 20k per year and dont involve being chained to a phone or KPI's these days? Work are parachuting another 5 people into work and a new 'senior' in despite saying there was no provision for that kind of role, because they are getting redeployed from another site which has closed down. Change can be good, but when everything is being 'centralised' it can only lead to bad things, from experience. It will mean higher targets, less flexibility, more backstabbing and bitching (3 of the 5 coming in are reknowned for being utter fuckwits) and generally a more undesirable place to work. Because the new 'senior' is coming in, it means Ill lose anything thing that makes the job I have even a little bit interesting and with fuck all chance of progression am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I looked at going back to uni to do something vocational such as counselling or Social Work, but it's cost prohibitive at present because already have a degree. Anyone got any ideas?