The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

We're working from home, oh hang on, no we're not.

We will be working from home, but in a different capacity. Oh hang on, the software for remote desktopping doesn't meet our needs.Ā 

We're still going to be office based, but we'reĀ all going onto compressed shifts on a 6 week rotating pattern. Actually we're not as the office is staying closed at the weekend.

We'reĀ reducing the opening hours and the out of hours team will cover the rest. Well, they might. We've not asked them yet, even though we've announced that they will be.

I've no fucking idea what's going on. There's a different plan announced every other day.

[Today's update] How would I like my desktop delivered to my house? Does my computer have Skype installed?Ā 

Ooh,Ā I'm going to be working from home after all.

There's going be a drop in my hours because they can't open the office before 8:30am.

Oh, so I'm still going to be office based?

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Logged in this morning to find my computer has had an update overnight. New telephony software, the kind of thing I'd need for working at home. Yesterday I was asked if I was fine making outbound calls from home. I said yes, as I'll be in a room by myself (last week I was asked if I was comfortable doing video calls from home). The guy that sits opposite me took his computer home yesterday, and is now working from his dining room.

Looks like I'm going to be working from home very shortly. Except...

4:30pm today, get told toĀ join aĀ conference call where we get told that they're furloughing all butĀ a skeleton amount of staff.

I know this is an unprecedented* situation, but what I'd give for some consistency.

Ā 

* I'm hearing this word more times per day than I've previously heard in my entire life, and I swear I will end up going on a killing spree if people keep saying "unpresidented".

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Waaahey! After applying for 60+Ā jobs since my redundancy at the end of last year, I got a phone call today offering me the job I video interviewed for only yesterday. I'll be working daysĀ (in my old place I worked from 10pm to 7am five nights a week for almost a full fucking decade), it's Mon-Fri so no weekends,Ā bank holidays off and all for more money. Over the moon.

20 hours ago, Wretch said:

Waaahey! After applying for 60+Ā jobs since my redundancy at the end of last year, I got a phone call today offering me the job I video interviewed for only yesterday. I'll be working daysĀ (in my old place I worked from 10pm to 7am five nights a week for almost a full fucking decade), it's Mon-Fri so no weekends,Ā bank holidays off and all for more money. Over the moon.

Congratulations!Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone here ever completed a supporting statement for a role? Apparently this is not a cover letter, I initially thought they were one and the same. It's for a permanent council role that I currently do on a temp basis. I'm just completely stumped on how I should lay this out/what specifically I should be writing. Any help is appreciated!

12 hours ago, alex1 said:

Has anyone here ever completed a supporting statement for a role? Apparently this is not a cover letter, I initially thought they were one and the same. It's for a permanent council role that I currently do on a temp basis. I'm just completely stumped on how I should lay this out/what specifically I should be writing. Any help is appreciated!

Employers asking for this crap annoys me. Google 'personal statement', UCAS asks for something like this when students apply to Uni, so there is some good guides for pulling one together

13 hours ago, alex1 said:

Essentially a bollocks term, but you've been asked to do it so you have to play ball, and having worked in the public sector, this is a classic Council ask.

Highlight examples that you have of achievements in your current role which demonstrate why you'd be good for the job. Remember to be role specific.

Personal statement or covering letter example: "I am shit hot at Excel"

Supporting statement: "My knowledge of Excel meant that whilst in position, I have created a spreadsheet of who had the best tache in wrestling, which meant that xy and z was delivered, increasing" etc

Big yourself up to the max, even if you think it's a trivial thing you've done in the role, highlight it. Show them you're the best for the role. Best of luck.

• neil locked this topic