The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

Brother's ESA advisor said he was going to phone him back in six months after a face-to-face interview. Heard nothing since and it's now eight months since his interview. What do you think is going on there?

• Paid Members
Brother's ESA advisor said he was going to phone him back in six months after a face-to-face interview. Heard nothing since and it's now eight months since his interview. What do you think is going on there?

Staffing issues probably.

I thought it could be mandated as part of your jobseeker's agreement / claim commitment , but wasn't mandatory by default?

Our understanding is that due to the digital agenda, it is now a mandatory part of JSA, mainly so we can help look for jobs at interviews and communicate with claimants. It is enforced with a Jobseekers direction.

• Paid Members
I've had to use UJ to apply for a job where the description is a copy and paste job of a "two weeks but advertised as 6 months to permanent" position I fell for a couple of years back.

Surf's heard this story already, I think, but: my missus, who isn't on JSA, uses UJ to look for jobs occasionally. The other day, she found an article writing one that looked promising (

After 10 and a half years working for the DWP I decided to take voluntary redundancy because for various reasons the last 3 years have been hell. Having a young family once I'd put in the paperwork in I started to panic that I needed a job.

Today I managed to get one at a local firm more money but less hours as I'm not having to travel anymore.

The best thing is not working for the DWP.

My new job is odd.

Spent last week on day shifts, some in London, some local, being 'trained' on the procedures for stock control type stuff for B and Q. There was no training as such, I was just a dogsbody for the guy doing the job, but I picked up virtually everything I needed just by watching him. Every shift was booked in as a 12 hour shift, but we always got done by about 8 or 9 hours into the shift, so off we went. Still get paid for the full shift.

Fast forward to last night and I'm out on my own for the first time for a 2 week project getting stock out of a local branch. The guy running it for B and Q has a strict plan for what sections are getting done each night, and I can't really do much until the merch team (from a different company entirely) have emptied the section for me. Last night there was fuck all stock to move out of that section, so on a 4pm- 4am shift, I'd done it all by about 11. I'm not allowed to really move on to the following night's section because they don't like empty bays through the day when the store's open, so I tidied up after myself, watched a bit of Match of the Day in the staff room, offered to help the other guys with stuff but they were over staffed anyway, so at about midnight I fucked it off and came home.

Given that this was how it worked last week, and the merch team have said that my company's guys ALWAYS get away early, I know I've not done anything wrong, but I'm so paranoid that I'll get in shit over it. Thing is, as I'm the only one from my company there, there's no way my bosses will find out anyway. I suppose I should just enjoy it and get in early for some extra kip. On 7-7 the rest of this week, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get home around 5ish at the latest. Until I get told otherwise, I'm going to take advantage.

• Paid Members

As long as you are following his plans, and you are getting the job done, sit back and enjoy the ride. Maybe he is pacing you till he knows you are capable, then will get you to do other stuff. If it's worrying you (I had a similar experience with my current job) have a chat with him or send him an email.

As long as you are following his plans, and you are getting the job done, sit back and enjoy the ride. Maybe he is pacing you till he knows you are capable, then will get you to do other stuff. If it's worrying you (I had a similar experience with my current job) have a chat with him or send him an email.

• Paid Members

So, I got my contract renewed for a further six months today. With any luck, I won't be in this country in six months but it's nice to have that security for another while.

One thing that pissed me off a bit - my team receives an unpredictability allowance of about 2k per year. Turns out, since we only work Mon-Fri, 9-5, this was a mistake. So they're taking that away. They're making it up by bringing forward a planned pay rise for us so I'll only end up about

• Paid Members

Gave probably my best interview performance ever on Tuesday, ticked pretty much every box, had a great rapport with the interviewer, was told they'd get back to me next week-ish. Two days later, rejected. Just stumped. No idea what went wrong. I feel like I want to give up and go in a whole new direction now. Every single PR, copywriting, social media or whatever other job I'm qualified and experienced for seems to have something unidentifiable that trips me up. I fall just short every single bloody time and I'm sick of this horrible feeling. To the point where, despite everyone in the profession I know constantly having a horrible time, I'm genuinely thinking about training to teach. Because there seems to be an omnipresent consensus that I can't fucking do.

• Paid Members
Gave probably my best interview performance ever on Tuesday, ticked pretty much every box, had a great rapport with the interviewer, was told they'd get back to me next week-ish. Two days later, rejected. Just stumped. No idea what went wrong. I feel like I want to give up and go in a whole new direction now. Every single PR, copywriting, social media or whatever other job I'm qualified and experienced for seems to have something unidentifiable that trips me up. I fall just short every single bloody time and I'm sick of this horrible feeling. To the point where, despite everyone in the profession I know constantly having a horrible time, I'm genuinely thinking about training to teach. Because there seems to be an omnipresent consensus that I can't fucking do.

Don't be a teacher, mate. You'd be a horrible teacher. It's nothing personal, we'd ALLL be horrible teachers. Especially those of us who are currently teachers.

I suggest you write some sort of manifesto, or make an app, or design a pinball table, or throw a load of slogans on to a load of t-shirts and flog them online. Get out of your rut. Get out of your malaise. Get out of Leicestershire.

• Paid Members
Yeah teaching is a shit business. You should probably aim to be an international rockstar, or failing that, a premiership footballer. Money for nothing and your chicks for free.

I used to think it was "chips for free." By "used to think," I mean till I just read this. I hate Dire Straits.

Get feedback. Jump up and down (politely) to ensure they know you really wanted it and need critique to understand why someone else was chosen.

I've got my last two jobs through this method, weirdly enough.

• Paid Members

Get feedback. Jump up and down (politely) to ensure they know you really wanted it and need critique to understand why someone else was chosen.

I've got my last two jobs through this method, weirdly enough.

Majik beat me to it. Feedback is so important, especially when you can't understand why youndidnt get the job. You may need to just slightly tweak something you said and you are sorted. Helps the people I look after no end.

• Paid Members

Cheers guys. I did, in fact, immediately email back asking for feedback. They said the successful candidate had more experience of long-term project planning for the thing I would've been doing, and that they'd keep my details on record (I replied saying thanks and don't hesitate to get in touch if something comes up etc etc etc). It's a pretty big organisation and they mentioned aiming to double in size, so hopefully they weren't just saying that to get the over-keen loser off their backs.

The situation's probably not as bleak as I felt like it was. It's just a kick in the teeth when you feel like you've nailed it for once, and then you get slapped down yet again. I think the thing that hit me, before they emailed back, was that I'd asked the golden question "Is there any part of the job you think I can't do?" (recruitment agency recommended, that - gives you that last shot at negating their doubts, or something) and she'd ummed and ahed for a sec then flat out said "no", so not getting it made me think "Well what the fuck am I supposed to do *now*?"

I dunno. I guess it's alright, all things considered. Definitely better than just not hearing back, which is where I was a few months ago.

Don't be a teacher, mate. You'd be a horrible teacher. It's nothing personal, we'd ALLL be horrible teachers. Especially those of us who are currently teachers.

I suggest you write some sort of manifesto, or make an app, or design a pinball table, or throw a load of slogans on to a load of t-shirts and flog them online. Get out of your rut. Get out of your malaise. Get out of Leicestershire.

Ah he's in Leicester? Not surprised he's having trouble finding a marketing job. Up Chuck, have you expanded your search outside of Leicester? Say Nottinghamshire, Birmingham, etc?

Whatever you do though, don't give up. Applying for work IS a numbers game. You've just got to keep going. The company you applied for probably had a situation where they had several good candidates, and sadly this time it wasn't for you.

Alternatively do what I did... move to Melbourne. Billions of marketing jobs here.