The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

Since you're based in London, if you need something that's (usually) weekly pay just to cover the bills while you look for something better, call centres are ALWAYS hiring. Try out: Union Income Benefit, CCA International and Pell & Bales or contact Headway or NL Recruitment for those sorts of jobs.

I'm really not enjoying looking for a job at the moment and money is getting really tight. It really seems like the ball is in the employers court to an extreme level at the moment, I'm mainly applying to positions online through online agencies and it's a nightmare, they hardly tell you anything about the company so you don't go to them directly,which means virtually applying blind, they insist on being told loads of information before you can send your application and half the time your CV won't even be read anyway because it's been filtered out by a robot for not having the right buzzwords on it. They're getting so many applications that they can be unreasonably specific which means even though I know I could do something due to having good transferrable skills it's hard to get the opportunity. Also despite these all being jobs I could get with my previous experience I'm completely burnt out on 9-5ing for other people anyway so my heart's not even in it.

Feel exactly the same as this. I was made redundant in October and I've rewritten my CV probably a dozen times, applied for hundreds of jobs and tried dozens of different job searches to try and find a job I might have a chance with. I've been to Bristol twice on interviews but it's all a waste of time. I had to sign on, which I didn't want to do, and my wife is sick so she can't work. Just at the end of my tether. I can't make my rent this month, I'm very worried.

I have the opportunity to become a contractor (IT based) for the next year and am trying to work through the pros and cons compared to bring an employee. I know a few people are here work as contractors in this way, can you help to clarify it for me?

Cheers in advance.

As a member of staff who works with lots of contractors, I would say as a contractor all you are worried about is as long as the work comes in and the money earning potential for you is worth jumping from being a member of staff (No sick pay, holiday pay etc . . . . ) then go for it.

If I was a contractor, I could probably add about

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I was thinking of setting up as freelance offering some basic design and marketing services, not with a view of doing it full time, but more as a supplemental income kind of deal.

Anyone with any experience of doing this who could offer some advice?

• Paid Members
I was thinking of setting up as freelance offering some basic design and marketing services, not with a view of doing it full time, but more as a supplemental income kind of deal.

Anyone with any experience of doing this who could offer some advice?

I know someone who tried this, she's really good at social media marketing and had a few years experience in marketing for local authorities and public sector. She made next to no money so gave it up.

I've not done any serious job hunting in a while, however, when did HR departments get so lazy they cannot be arsed to tell you you haven't got jobs any more? Following on from that, Feedback is now an alien concept too? How the hell are you meant to change and improve applications/interviews etc, if you have no idea what was wrong in the first place? Used to be the 'in' thing to ask for feedback following unsuccesfull applications. These days it's frowned upon?

Aside from that rant, Ive applied about 20 jobs applied for thus far. I'm looking for more cash primarily and something a bit more challenging than my current role so have applied for a myriad of things

Had an interview yesterday and find out if I have the job today. 3k Payrise, which would be great if I can get it!

• Moderators

Someone off here sent my new job my post from the depression thread and they sacked me. Then I was advised by the authorities that it was discrimination on grounds of mental health. Quick chat to my solicitor sister in law, and they gave me a nice cheque so it'd end here.

Everything's coming up Milhouse.

Edited by PowerButchi

Someone off here sent my new job my post from the depression thread and they sacked me. Then I was advised by the authorities that it was discrimination on grounds of mental health. Quick chat to my solicitor sister in law, and they gave me a nice cheque so it'd end here.

Everything's coming up Milhouse.

WTF!

The mind boggles as to why some one would even do that. This forum is bizarre at times but that is completely unfathomable. Butch, that sucks!

• Paid Members

My brother's still waiting for his second phone call from his ESA "advisor". Last time he spoke to him was in August 2013. Said he'd phone back in six months and then nothing. ESA runs out in 2 weeks too. Awful service.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I've not done any serious job hunting in a while, however, when did HR departments get so lazy they cannot be arsed to tell you you haven't got jobs any more?

I's not about lazy, more the impracticality. The last role we advertised here was a fairly junior role and we had 300+ applicants. For one recruitment person, who had several open roles to deal with at once, to contact the 290 odd who didnt make it to interview would have taken forever. We do always contact unsuccessful interview candidates (through their agency if they used one) and all job adverts we put out say something along the lines of 'if you havent heard in 14 days then you have been unsuccessful' which isnt ideal, but does set the expectation that you shouldnt expect a reply.

Following on from that, Feedback is now an alien concept too? How the hell are you meant to change and improve applications/interviews etc, if you have no idea what was wrong in the first place? Used to be the 'in' thing to ask for feedback following unsuccessful applications. These days it's frowned upon?

Not sure about it being frowned upon, but companies can be more hesitant than before to put anything in writing because there is often a feeling of mistrust and that if someone is asking for feedback they're looking for a reason to challenge their non-selection. Obviously this is a pain in the arse for people asking for feedback for the right reasons. Similarly to the first point, providing feedback to hundreds of applicants on their CV's/applications isn't practical but interview candidates are always given it if they ask here which has been the case everywhere i've worked.

Recruitment agencies can be useful here - you are representing them so if your CV/application has holes in they will often point it out for you (Assuming you use a decent one!). They're also good for getting feedback out of companies for you.

Aside from that rant, Ive applied about 20 jobs applied for thus far. I'm looking for more cash primarily and something a bit more challenging than my current role so have applied for a myriad of things

Had an interview yesterday and find out if I have the job today. 3k Payrise, which would be great if I can get it!

Good luck, hope you have some good news for us later

• Paid Members

Another ESA question unfortunately. What actually happens here please?

My brother's ESA "Contribution" claim runs out in July. He wants to apply for "Income" based. How does he do this? I know he has to phone them up, but do they send a form or do they put you on it straight away? Cheers! Still not heard from his ESA advisor after his first meeting in August. A joke really.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
Another ESA question unfortunately. What actually happens here please?

My brother's ESA "Contribution" claim runs out in July. He wants to apply for "Income" based. How does he do this? I know he has to phone them up, but do they send a form or do they put you on it straight away? Cheers! Still not heard from his ESA advisor after his first meeting in August. A joke really.

He should get a few confusing letters that mean he is being automatically transferred over. I would give them a ring to make sure the i's and T's are dotted and crossed