The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

I looked at going back to uni to do something vocational such as counselling or Social Work, but it's cost prohibitive at present because already have a degree. Anyone got any ideas?

Have you looked into doing social work as a masters if you already have a degree? Its two years rather than three and I think there is still a NHS bursary attached as well.

Edited by sockospice

I looked at going back to uni to do something vocational such as counselling or Social Work, but it's cost prohibitive at present because already have a degree. Anyone got any ideas?

Have you looked into doing social work as a masters if you already have a degree? Its two years rather than three and I think there is still a NHS bursary attached as well.

I did , I asked several universities for their bumpf on the above subjects and price breakdown as well as course information. What I got though was bog standard postgrad prospectuses, with the grand total of nothing in other than a description of what courses they offered ( which I knew anyway) rather than the information requested and promised. That they couldn't be bothered after promising to send the information, kinda was off putting. Will have to check out open days and stuff as is likely the only way I'm going to get answers. TOhe Hefkey( spelling?) site is awfully laid out re bursaries/loans etc as well so am pretty much none the wiser in general as to what financing options are available. The most I can ascertain is that if I do a full time postgrad at the Uni I got my degree from I will get

• Paid Members

Did I tell you lads and lasses I got promoted in October?

Best thing I ever did was leave the Co-op, with two exceptions they were a right bunch of cunts in control, I was over worked, underpaid and under appreciated.

• Paid Members

Quick ESA question.

My brother is on "Contribution" based. He is in the WRAG group. His "assessment phase" seems to finish up sometime this week. Is that the stuff on the back of the award letter (These amounts apply from xx to xx)? He's had his meeting with the bloke from the Jobcentre. What happens next? Cheers

ADDED: Been to ATOS too!

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
Quick ESA question.

My brother is on "Contribution" based. He is in the WRAG group. His "assessment phase" seems to finish up sometime this week. Is that the stuff on the back of the award letter (These amounts apply from xx to xx)? He's had his meeting with the bloke from the Jobcentre. What happens next? Cheers

What was the Atos decision?

• Paid Members
Quick ESA question.

What was the Atos decision?

Passed it. Into the WRAG group.

• Paid Members

Just needs to do the occasional activity to make him more ready for work when (or if) he gets to the point that he is fit enough to. He may have to go to a one off session with the work programme to se if he wants to voluntarily sign up to it, but the key word there is voluntary, as he is in conts based ESA.

• Paid Members

Yeah, just wondering if you know what this specific part means in the back of the award letter.

"These Amounts Apply from xxth July 2013 to the xxth November 2013".

If he's getting kicked off, no letter by the way to tell him that he is, why does he have a meeting in Feb with the JC+ guy? All is very confusing. Stumps a load of people. Thanks again.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Without seeing the letter, I cant really give you a good idea about the dates, as I dont know the context. Maybe he is transferring from Conts to income based if his conts have run out, but the letter should explain this. Half the letters people get sent I don't understand, and I work there, so christ knows how they expect people to understand these things.

The meetings with advisors when people are on Wrag are normally every couple of months depending on the illness or availability, so don't worry about that one.

• Paid Members

Homes Under the Hammer is brilliant. Easily the highlight of daytime TV. My dream job is that of the guy who chooses which song to play as someone makes an innocent comment along the lines of "Steve and Barbara found themselves over budget and short on time after having their copper piping stolen by a group of local Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves..."

Back on topic, i have a real dilemma on my hands. That said, it's not really, the decision is almost entirely being made for me but still.

Some will remember back in may, i achieve a lifetime goal of securing a post working in Marketing and have to all intents and purposes been somewhat successful winning an employee of the month award and having the campaign nominated for both marketing and local government awards. Sadly, it's a secondment, renewed on a month by month basis due to an ongoing restructure blocking permanent recruitment.

Cue this Tuesday and a meeting concerning my substantive post which is now under restructure. In a nutshell, i've been made at risk of redundancy and basically have little option but to go back to a dead end job i loathe in order to keep my permanent position. The restructure means i'm eligible for one of two posts, for which there are 7 vacancies and 22 prospective candidates. They will be chosen using a scoring matrix rather than by interview, to be completed by line managers. Only problem is, my line manager left recently, and so i'm currently line managed by someone who dosent have the foggiest as to my skills or experience in the role they are grading me against. The likeliest outcome is that i'll end up offered a post 3 grades and

• Paid Members

Has anybody ever started a new job and they get a few weeks training with the person they will be taking over from, then you're by yourself and you're suddenly like FUCK I don't really know what I'm doing?

Because that's me right now.

• Paid Members

Apologies for the frustratingly vague opening here: Just applied for something through a big organisation's website, where I've applied for stuff before. It used to be a labyrinthine application process, but they've massively streamlined it. All good, you might think. But the streamlining mainly consists of them having removed ALL OPPORTUNITY to enter your education history, and leave you only a single field (with one "from" and "to" date field) for gaps in employment history. Me and my 2-year part-time MA look forward to being rejected shortly.