The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

I don't know if it is still the case but when I was an adviser we could give 'adviser directives' to people claiming JSA, where they had to do x,y,z before their next interview - this could include something like getting a haircut or similar - never heard anything about fixing teeth though - seems a bit daft as fixing teeth takes time and money if not available free through the nhs - particularly as the chap mentioned is an ESA claimant...

Are these "adviser directives" simply suggestions? Or could you flat out tell someone to get a hair cut, trim their heard etc or stop their money?

Yes, essentially, although it was normally a last ditch thing - I only used it a couple of times over several years of advising - an informal chat normally worked better, most people aren't trying to stay out of work, but there's always a hardcore of determined work dodgers...

I tend to give the dodgers plenty of realistic stuff to do under direction. Also 9:00 appointments seem to upset them. They tend to get fed up after a few times and just go.

I always used to ask people what appointment time they wanted and if they asked for an afternoon one with no good reason I would put them in the morning - if working you would be generally expected to be in work for 0900 in a lot of jobs, so good to get in practice with Jobcentre interviews! Worked particularly well with the NEETs.

• Paid Members

I think the guy actually wants the teeth to be done. My brother came up a few days ago and showed me the list of the things he has to do in six months. He's wrote "End of November: Teeth". I've been looking into though. You need to pay for that stuff when you get the "Contribution" aspect of ESA, don't you?

He'll need to go back to the same guy in six months. I wonder what will happen. Surely they can't dock you money? Surely not?

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I think the guy actually wants the teeth to be done. My brother came up a few days ago and showed me the list of the things he has to do in six months. He's wrote "End of November: Teeth". I've been looking into though. You need to pay for that stuff when you get the "Contribution" aspect of ESA, don't you?

He'll need to go back to the same guy in six months. I wonder what will happen. Surely they can't dock you money? Surely not?

I wouldn't have thought so - as he is on ESA they can only make suggestions to him about things that he could do to eventually return to work.

Yes you do have to pay for NHS costs while on a contribution related benefit - there might be some things he can claim for though - look up form HC11 from the NHS which should give an idea.

If your brother does the right thing and lodges a complaint, he won't have to meet the same guy in six months most probably.

Unless he's sitting alongside him in the job centre, of course.

• Moderators

Get him reported. Your brother can't be having that.

Get him reported. Your brother can't be having that.

I agree. Obviously I'd normally stick up for a fellow DWP'er but that is shocking behaviour. If feel embarrassed if I heard someone in my office say that.

• Paid Members

Cunt.

Complete cunt.

Baz, if you want to pm me the list of stuff the aforementioned cunt wants your brother to do, I will let you know the ones he is obliged to. It will be minor stuff like attending a work club now and again. Stuff like teeth is very, very incorrect.

Cunt.

• Paid Members

I can't believe what I'm reading. Although I'm not at all shocked that the Tories' current attitude to benefits and sanctions have produced some fucking jumped up authoritarian jobsworth cunts like that. What a fucking dreadful human being.

• Paid Members

Brother and his wife are making an appointment to see the manager and the guy tomorrow. Let you know how it goes.

Brother thinks that they'll spin the teeth thing into the advisor "trying to gee him up". Getting him to do it so he can get more confidence. I'm betting that they'll pull that shite.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Started my new job today in Learning Support, helping people with mental health issues get back and acclimatise to HE. It all seems very rewarding, and I'm very much looking forward to starting proper at the start of the academic year.